Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly.
People weren't knocking down his door to hire him.
No one put a gun to his head to accept the job.

He knew all of this going in as part of his accepting the job.
Every coach Jerry hires knows this.

He was hired specifically to achieve the playoff success Garrett never did.
He has failed miserably at that.

Exceeding the Garrett bar of coaching standard is not the goal as HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
Winning trophies is.
He did it at his last job.

The continued nonsense of its Jerry's fault 'cuz this coach sucks at playoff football is nonsense.

Mike McCarthy sucks as a Dallas Cowboys playoffs head coach and that's on him.
Period.
I can agree with that.

McCarthy isn’t on par with the better, younger minds in the league, like Shanahan and LaFleur, and they get outschemed and outcoached come playoff time.

Jerry would only hire a certain type of head coach….one that doesn’t mind playing second fiddle to Jerry, and that comes with its limitations.

So it’s either someone with zero experience or someone who is just hopeful for another shot.

It really would be nice to have some confidence in the coaching staff again, but can’t be having anyone steal Jerry’s credit and spotlight. None of the topics surrounding this team are about much else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only problem with the "handicapped by the owner" and "He also inherited Dak" excuses is Big Mike knew that before he accepted the job.

There was no "surprise" moment or "he didn't see that coming" moment either. He knew exactly what he was walking into.
Of course. Surely he knew what he was walking into.

Part of conceding to the potential limitations he was walking into he has to live with knowing it could drag him down with it.

And it doesn’t release those from their responsibility and impact as well.

But his phone wasn’t ringing off the wall after sitting out a season after being fired.

On the plus side if he could overcome our dysfunctional situation it could propel him to greatness. What will be interesting is if his phone is ringing next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I see a team that has been 12-5 3 consecutive years. A team that is competitive. A team that is fun to watch. A team that has made the tournament every each time. They won one game in that tournament. The others were diappointments, for sure.

And the weaknesses that manifest in the tournament are due to gaps in player personnel quality and/or injuries. The coach simply makes due with what he has. Of course, he can influence the GM in the off-season and during the season to find players who "fit" his system best. But if that GM will not act, it is not on the coach.

Put the pitchforks away and enjoy the game.

Coaching is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys.
You could say pretty much the same thing about a lot of the teams Garrett had and the previous teams we had under Wade Phillips. We always win a lot of regular season games and are fun to watch. We always score a lot of points and our QBs have been productive. Part of the problem has been the coaching in the big games and playoffs. No one Jerry hires can energize and prepare the team to excel in postseason. You can’t excuse McCarthy for what happened against Green Bay in the playoffs. That was an inexcusable performance.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think it's better to use garrets last 4 years because that is where mike started.

20198-8-02nd -- NFC East--Jason GarrettRoster / Stats
201810-6-01st -- NFC East1-1 - Lost Divisional PlayoffsJason GarrettRoster / Stats
20179-7-02nd -- NFC East--Jason GarrettRoster / Stats
201613-3-01st -- NFC East0-1 - Lost Divisional PlayoffsJason GarrettRoster / Stats
Correct. McCarthy should absolutely be better his first 4 years as Cowboys HC than Garrett’s first four.

The former was way more experienced at the HC position and overall. The later had zero HC experience and very little overall experience.

But as you point out, they are generally similar over the last 4 years of JG to the first 4 of MM. And a case could be made that the JG’s teams were far closer to an NFCCG in that span than MM’s.

Both were 1 win from playing in the NFCCG, but the JG’s teams were in a very reasonable position to actually win 2 of their 3 Divisional Round games. Just my opinion, but I don’t think the same has been true during the McCarthy era.

Record and game results aside, both JG and MM eras have been marked by questionable in-game decisions.

However, notwithstanding the above, it was time to move on from JG. It appeared the team started tuning him out after the Vikings game. He was in the last year of his contract and, after that game, essentially became a Dead Coach Walking. This year has the makings of being eerily similar with MM.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mac built a stronger franchise than Garrett, especially on all three sides - OFF, DEF and ST.
I really don’t see where it’s any stronger. Although Garrett coached longer, he had one more playoff win than McCarthy. We never got embarrassed in any of our playoff losses under Garrett like we did with McCarthy last January. Under McCarthy we’re either leading the league in penalties or close. The defense continues to break down in big games.

Flinger

Reaction score
You could say pretty much the same thing about a lot of the teams Garrett had and the previous teams we had under Wade Phillips. We always win a lot of regular season games and are fun to watch. We always score a lot of points and our QBs have been productive. Part of the problem has been the coaching in the big games and playoffs. No one Jerry hires can energize and prepare the team to excel in postseason. You can’t excuse McCarthy for what happened against Green Bay in the playoffs. That was an inexcusable performance.
Any team has to win in order to get into the playoffs BEFORE they can win anything in the post season. MM is a very good coach who has demonstrated the ability to do that. 12-5 3 consecutive years is fantastic. 12 wins is not guaranteed - no matter how the mob wants to diminish the importance of defeating and simply banishing all competitors that are deemed lesser.

Inexcusable? To whom? You? The mob here? (see what I did there? :) What does that even mean? Just fire everyone? Then, why not the entire team?

Remember 8-8 seasons? Not a lot of fun to watch. 12-5 gives me hope and they are fun to watch.

Would love to move on to the Championship game. Would love to go to a Super Bowl - but let me tell ya, it's no fun if they get that far and they lose. I was young, but I still want to cry when I recall losing to the Baltimore Colts. It kills me when I think about losing 2 to the Steelers in the 70's. Even all the NFC Championship games we lost stung - Danny White, 3 consecutive loses in the 80's. All under Landry. And, even Landry couldn't get them over the hump. I remember those loses as much as our Super Bowl wins!

I would rather lose in the 1st round than the Super Bowl. That one hurts a whole lot more...

Coaching is not the problem for the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Inexcusable? To whom? You? The mob here? (see what I did there? :) What does that even mean? Just fire everyone? Then, why not the entire team?

Remember 8-8 seasons? Not a lot of fun to watch. 12-5 give me hope and they are fun to watch.

Would love to move on to the Championship game. Would love to go to a Super Bowl - but let me tell ya, it's no fun if they get that far and they lose. I was young, but I still want to cry when I recall losing to the Baltimore Colts. It kills me when I think about losing 2 to the Steelers in the 70's. Even all the NFC Championship games we lost stung - Danny White, 3 consecutive loses in the 80's. All under Landry. And, even Landry couldn't get them over the hump. I remember those loses as much as our Super Bowl wins!

I would rather lose in the 1st round than the Super Bowl. That one hurts a whole lot more...

Coaching is not the problem for the Dallas Cowboys.
What happened against Green Bay in the playoffs was inexcusable to everyone but you. We got blown out at home after winning 16 straight by a 9 win team. There’s no excuse for that when you’ve won 12 games during the regular season. Those 8-8 seasons were primarily due to developing a young head coach and rebuilding the OL. Coaching has been part of the problem ever since Jimmy left. If coaching wasn’t part of the problem, McCarthy wouldn’t be a lame duck.

Flinger

Reaction score
What happened against Green Bay in the playoffs was inexcusable to everyone but you. We got blown out at home after winning 16 straight by a 9 win team. There’s no excuse for that when you’ve won 12 games during the regular season. Those 8-8 seasons were primarily due to developing a young head coach and rebuilding the OL. Coaching has been part of the problem ever since Jimmy left. If coaching wasn’t part of the problem, McCarthy wouldn’t be a lame duck.
Who made excuses?

Final comment - Players play the game. Seems you might not have played organized team sports too much - and, that's fine. Can't tell ya how many games my team lost that had zero to do with the coaches - and it was simply having to play out the cards the team was dealt with the players. And... sometimes, ya just don't match up well to the other guys...

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Who made excuses?
I said it was inexcusable what happened against Green Bay and you said to whom, me? You don’t seem to have a problem with what happened against Green Bay in the playoffs. You’re continuing to tout McCarthy after that debacle.

bewp7

Reaction score
yea if you are rooting for 0-17 like me

bum owner
bum gm
bum vp of personel or what ever stephen is
bum coach
bum qb

hope they all get embarassed this season after not showing up at all for a play off game and running it back with the same group of bum

Brax

Reaction score
Any Cowboys fan that enjoyed that game is ………… unspeakable.
It was an enjoyable game, I guess you thought the almost MVP was going to show up. Watch the games and enjoy them they have zero impact on your life.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some decent rosters and it’s a shame Jerry didn’t have one of those other 5-6 QBs.
It is what it is. Most teams in the league don’t have one of those QB’s. But able to have more success.

It’s on the leadership of the franchise to surround and build as good of team as they can around their QB.

We’ve had a couple QB’s this era which I’d argue a greater FO with stronger coaching staffs could at least advanced further.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was hired specifically to achieve the playoff success Garrett never did.
He has failed miserably at that.

Exceeding the Garrett bar of coaching standard is not the goal as HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
Winning trophies is.
boomshakalaka.gif

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Campo might have something to say about that.

Bottomline is we still haven’t had a HC that has taken us deeper into the playoffs , had more divisional round playoff games or playoff wins this Century.

There has been a few other HC’s we’ve had who we’d think are more legit in Bill, Wade and now Mike. It is what it is. The longer our disappointment and frustration continue the less we can hold one HC any more at fault than the others.

And if Garrett is the worst we’ve had then his record in the playoffs stands with the rest this Century besides not being a legit HC. Truly remarkable.
Bill, Wade, and Mike have all coached multiple NFL teams, Clappy could not even get an interview with Div 3 Western Omaha for a HC position.

So please spare me the false equivalency narrative about Garrett.

plasticman

Reaction score
McCarthy came in at the time of covid. There were no minicamps, no training camp, no preseason games. That is challenging enough for a veteran coach but McCarthy could not install his entire system. I have always said that he should get a complete pass for his first season.

In his last three seasons the Cowboys had double digit wins three seasons in a row for the first time since the days of the Super Bowl era teams 27 years ago. That is a generation.

The postseason has been more than frustrating and disappointing but before championships comes opportunity and that was delivered.

McCarthy had to patiently and diplomatically endure the lack of professionalism and ability of the owner/GM of this team as well as the VP/progeny that seems to be making more decisions. That has to be a testament to his mental toughness.

The past three seasons has been the closest the Cowboys have ever come to being a true contender. They are close. I don't know if there was ever a better candidate willing to work with Jerry Jones. I think that list is extremely short of capable candidates.