Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I would say not really. Different but ultimately the same. Mike has not got past the div round same as JG.

I keep hearing the 12-5 ,3 seasons in a row defense.
I think that was due mainly to hiring dan quinn as dc. And I think jerry hired him, not mike. Look at mikes first choice for DC .
lol that guy was old friend and a disaster.

Mike was supposed to make the offense better. He hasnt really done that, along with the continuing penalty's that he said in 22 he would fix
but didnt. In GB he had good seasons, made playoffs, then was usually one and done in playoffs. Sound familiar?

We complained about kellen as OC, but in playoffs I think he was better than Mike.

Blaming jerry is not a good defense either, as any HC here has to deal with the jones boys and mike knew that from the get go.

Mike has not had the team ready and prepared for any of the playoff games, and the offense hasnt been good in any of them.

If your happy with the results of the last 3 years, then keep mike and dak etc. That all your ever going to get out of them.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would say not really. Different but ultimately the same. Mike has not got past the div round same as JG.

I think that was due mainly to hiring dan quinn as dc. And I think jerry hired him, not mike. Look at mikes first choice for DC .

Mike was supposed to make the offense better. He hasnt really done that, along with the continuing penalty's that he said in 22 he would fix
but didnt. In GB he had good seasons, made playoffs, then was usually one and done in playoffs. Sound familiar?

We complained about kellen as OC, but in playoffs I think he was better than Mike.

Blaming jerry is not a good defense either, as any HC here has to deal with the jones boys and mike knew that from the get go.

Mike has not had the team ready and prepared for any of the playoff games, and the offense hasnt been good in any of them.

If your happy with the results of the last 3 years, then keep mike and dak etc. That all your ever going to get out of them.
Unless it's not Mike.

kskboys

Reaction score
In his last 6 years of coaching he's won one playoff game.
The Tampa one.

Let that sink in.

McCarthy groupies are funny.
Not as bad as Dak bots but close.

At this point It's like either one is interchangeable.
Mike Prescott or Dak McCarthy.
Take your choice.

They both suck at playoff football.
Period.
Actually, both the haters and lovers of MM are funny. MM is somewhere in the middle as far as HC's go.

Brax

Reaction score
Well McCarthy's team did knock the Cowboys two best teams of the past decade out of the playoffs in 2014 and 2016 so .. uh yeah.. a lot of it IS his fault! At least the last 4 years plus 2014 and 2016. So he is to blame for 6 of the years of failure!
Hate to break it to you but it wasn’t MM in 14-16 it was AR who did the deed. QB does matter

75boyz

Reaction score

You and I have always shared a similar opinion on this HC.
You seriously nailed it here with all of it brother.
Great job.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep, indelibly linked. Then again, Mike did try and incorporate this TCO to overcome what he must of seen as a weakness in the offense/Dak's implementation of the offense. But again those pesky 9'ers created the near perfect counter punch, reverting to a press secondary and yet again Dak's composure went as he had to get out of the arm chair.
Yep, agreed. But I think this situation may just boil down to an old fashioned football cliche...
"You want your quarterback to be an extension of the coach on the field."

And they both seem to mimic each other exactly when facing playoff level competition.

So pick your poison. Dak McCarthy or Mike Prescott.
They're one in the same come playoff time.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Unless it's not Mike.
He is the HC so the blame goes on him. Cant blame the jones boys, they are untouchable.
If you take a HC job here you know what the deal is before you take the job.
Mike was totally responsible for the play calling and offense last 2 seasons.
The offense was not good in any of the play off games.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I doubt Jerry & Son are likely to do any better without Dak next year and perhaps even later than that. The Dallas FO isn't devoid of being highly responsible for their share of the problems that they've created for both the team and them, for that matter. The sooner the Cowboys' FO comes to admit that the better off it'll be for all concerned. I think Jerry's ego is way too overblown to admit his deficiencies, as yet. Maybe Stephen will help him come to his senses, before it's too late. The only way things are likely to improve is if they decide to utilize a legitimate GM. It's well past time for that to come to fruition. Blaming everyone but themselves is highly irrational. Self-realization is long overdue. Blaming MM isn't the solution, either.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Actually, both the haters and lovers of MM are funny. MM is somewhere in the middle as far as HC's go.
What is funny are fans who use 12-5 seasons and MVP votes....but dont credit Mike for any of it. Didnt we change to a TCO approach ( to alleviate Dak's problems waiting for routes to develop, composure and throwing risky passes?).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I doubt Jerry & Son are likely to do any better without Dak next year and perhaps even later than that. The Dallas FO isn't devoid of being highly responsible for their share of the problems that they've created for both the team and them, for that matter. The sooner the Cowboys' FO comes to admit that the better off it'll be for all concerned. I think Jerry's ego is way too overblown to admit his deficiencies, as yet. Maybe Stephen will help him come to his senses, before it's too late. The only way things are likely to improve is if they decide to utilize a legitimate GM. It's well past time for that to come to fruition. Blaming everyone but themselves is highly irrational. Self-realization is long overdue. Blaming MM isn't the solution, either.
they wont admit any of that lol.
They have their own fantasy world perspective of life and the cowboys, and they see themselves as very competent, and the best persons
to do their jobs lol.
Plus it is their toy, and they like playing with it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He is the HC so the blame goes on him. Cant blame the jones boys, they are untouchable.
While I’d agree with mush of your assessment, Jethro & Son while untouchable can still be called out and critiqued for their involvement. In the end they are the one constant throughout this era regardless who we’ve had on the sidelines or on the field.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Good stuff.

The Nolan hire was a disaster. Epic Fail.

I think Big Mike was likely close to being fired after the GB disaster.

Maybe Stephen talked Jerry down.

They knew DQ was looking at HC jobs.

Maybe too much change.

But Zimmer is for real. So they have a backup if things go south.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ah, you're talking about fake blame scapegoat stuff, not real blame!!!!!!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
they wont admit any of that lol.
They have their own fantasy world perspective of life and the cowboys, and they see themselves as very competent, and the best persons
to do their jobs lol.
Plus it is their toy, and they like playing with it.
Jerry and Stephen are money-hungry power-mongers who will only consider changing if the money stops rolling in or threatens to. That's the one thing that will bear more clout than anyone or anything else. If they keep screwing around like they have been for so long, it could happen. How long that might take is anyone's guess.

That seems like the main thing that moves them to do and be what they are. It would likely take a very long time for that to happen, but it could occur. Being hit in their bank accounts would move them as nobody or nothing else would. No telling how long it might take, however. I won't live that long and many others won't, either. I content myself with being entertained, these days. I have zero expectations for this team, outside of that.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
I think you answered your own question perfectly. MM is better, but he may not be enough

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Good stuff.

The Nolan hire was a disaster. Epic Fail.

I think Big Mike was likely close to being fired after the GB disaster.

Maybe Stephen talked Jerry down.

They knew DQ was looking at HC jobs.

Maybe too much change.

But Zimmer is for real. So they have a backup if things go south.
Jerry and Stephen will most likely keep up their self-defeating ways until their methods doom this team to utter despair and defeat. That's likely to take longer than most of us are no longer drawing breath. In the meantime, let's enjoy the games for what they are and not count on being Super Bowl champs for as long as it takes for Jerry & Son to no longer be in charge of this team. Even then, other family members will rule where they leave off.
Deal with that, if you can. I know it won't be easily or quickly done, but good luck for us all, as fans, in the meantime. Just expect little as a fan. I haven't given up -- just trying to maintain a reasonably good life as a fan. ;)

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Are you being serious? :rolleyes: He was brought here to win a championship and we still haven’t won a divisional round game after four seasons with this mouth smacking buckethead. We had won 16 straight at home and ended up getting blown out at home in the playoffs to a 9 win team. McCarthy has failed!
No one can win with this incomptent GM and a penny pinching son. Good luck having a better coach than McCarthy. You'll probably rejoice when they rehire Garrett.