Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I would say not really. Different but ultimately the same. Mike has not got past the div round same as JG.

I keep hearing the 12-5 ,3 seasons in a row defense.
I think that was due mainly to hiring dan quinn as dc. And I think jerry hired him, not mike. Look at mikes first choice for DC .
lol that guy was old friend and a disaster.

I think you're giving Quinn's defense a little too much credit. In football it's almost always a symbiosis. I think we can all agree that Quinn's defense was at its best when the offense spotted them a lead. I can't honestly think of any games when the defense gave up like 20 points in the first quarter but then got it together and shut the other team out the rest of the way. Can you?

Mike was supposed to make the offense better. He hasnt really done that, along with the continuing penalty's that he said in 22 he would fix
but didnt. In GB he had good seasons, made playoffs, then was usually one and done in playoffs. Sound familiar?

We complained about kellen as OC, but in playoffs I think he was better than Mike.

I dunno about this one. Moore's offense topped the 30 point mark in one of his three games and was held under 20 in the other two. So far McCarthy's offense is 1 for 1 topping 30 points. Time will tell if that becomes the norm for the offense under him but it's off to a good start.

Blaming jerry is not a good defense either, as any HC here has to deal with the jones boys and mike knew that from the get go.

Mike has not had the team ready and prepared for any of the playoff games, and the offense hasnt been good in any of them.

If your happy with the results of the last 3 years, then keep mike and dak etc. That all your ever going to get out of them.

The offense was pretty good against Tampa in '22. But that was Moore, Dak and CeeDee. Still it's a fair point about the team's lack of fire coming out of the gate in these big games. That bothers me.. I know McCarthy is trying to make sure his guys don't get overhyped but the early sleepwalking in big games has to stop! As for your Dak take.. I don't agree.. I have seen continued improvement over the course of his career and I see no reason that can't continue for the next several years as long as his body holds up. McCarthy is another story.. Lighting a fire in guys does not appear to be in him. I don't know how you fix that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No one can win with this incomptent GM and a penny pinching son. Good luck having a better coach than McCarthy. You'll probably rejoice when they rehire Garrett.
I never wanted Garrett as the head coach. Don’t know why you think I was happy with him. I was one of his harshest critics. As for McCarthy the players don’t fight for him. With the Joneses running the show it really won’t matter who the head coach is. It leads to the same results.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I never wanted Garrett as the head coach. Don’t know why you think I was happy with him. I was one of his harshest critics. As for McCarthy the players don’t fight for him. With the Joneses running the show it really won’t matter who the head coach is. It leads to the same results.
Yeah I'm sure no one wanted Garrett. But we really don't have much of a choice since Jerry likes to hire "yes" men to stroke his ego. McCarthy could have done alot better if he had a real GM. Same with Dan Quinn. Still pissed we didn't even go after Bobby Wagner last year.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Three straight 12 win seasons is something a ton of NFL franchises would sacrifice a limb for. McCarthy is clearly better than Garrett was, albeit that's a low bar.

The problem as everyone here has stated is the postseason. The margins are smaller there and McCarthy and his staff have not shown they can match other teams in terms of game planning and preparation.

While everyone wants to make it all about one player or one unit, remember the entire team went belly up against the Packers in the playoffs. Top to bottom. It wasn't just Dak, it wasn't just the defense, it wasn't just the running game, it wasn't just the offensive line.

It was everything and everybody. That is a coaching issue, and it falls squarely on McCarthy and his staff. I guess this year we will see how much Dan Quinn was at fault but I don't expect much to change.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure no one wanted Garrett. But we really don't have much of a choice since Jerry likes to hire "yes" men to stroke his ego. McCarthy could have done alot better if he had a real GM. Same with Dan Quinn. Still pissed we didn't even go after Bobby Wagner last year.
It’s assumed that every head coach Jerry hires is a yes man. Every head coach he hires has to go along with how he runs the team. He has the final say on personnel and our draft picks. He tells you who’s playing and who’s not each week. I’m sure McCarthy and others could’ve done better had they had more control and they didn’t have to put up with Jerry talking to the media all the time. Every head coach Jerry hires looks weak because he undermines all of them. Everyone knows it all starts and ends with Jerry Jones. He wears all the hats.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

There’s probably an argument to be made for both sides .

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

So, what is your take. Are we in a better place with McCarthy than 4 years ago?
A monkey throwing poo would have been an upgrade over Clapper.

leeblair

Reaction score
That’s always the best measurement of a HC or any Mgmt or leadership. Are we in a better place than when you arrived?

When MM came in most fans felt anything would be an improvement from Garrett. And an experienced proven SB winner was definitely what many ordered or had hoped for .

In many ways we are in a better place . 3 straight 12 win seasons. A couple division titles and first time since 90’s 3 consecutive playoff appearances. But only 1 playoff win and still no championship game appearances .

It appears we have built an overall better or more talented team. But the disappointment and frustration in playoffs continues.

McCarthy would have won a championship already if he hadn't been saddled with an inept quarterback who is grossly overpaid.
Now it would appear that he sold out to Jerry's circus after last season and he will probably need to go.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
While I’d agree with mush of your assessment, Jethro & Son while untouchable can still be called out and critiqued for their involvement. In the end they are the one constant throughout this era regardless who we’ve had on the sidelines or on the field.
who's going to call them out???????????
The media wont out of fear for their jobs.
The players wont, for similar reasons.

Fans all over the country can , but that is meaningless. jones and players call that "noise" and they just ignore it.

If all the cowboys formed a club and could agree on actions, and donate some $ for the actions, then they could make those
opinions and feelings public in a way it could not be ignored. For example billboards in frisco area. A free newspaper or website
just about the cowboys , with no holds barred articles.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What is funny are fans who use 12-5 seasons and MVP votes....but dont credit Mike for any of it. Didnt we change to a TCO approach ( to alleviate Dak's problems waiting for routes to develop, composure and throwing risky passes?).
Well Mike should get credit for those things, and the glory for any wins, but then also the blame for any losses.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
who's going to call them out???????????
The media wont out of fear for their jobs.
The players wont, for similar reasons.

Fans all over the country can , but that is meaningless. jones and players call that "noise" and they just ignore it.

If all the cowboys formed a club and could agree on actions, and donate some $ for the actions, then they could make those
opinions and feelings public in a way it could not be ignored. For example billboards in frisco area. A free newspaper or website
just about the cowboys , with no holds barred articles.
a Billboard is a good idea. The price is around 5K for a billboard in Frisco. Anyone want to help me run a crowdfunding campaign?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Clappy made the playoffs like what, 3 times in a decade???

A lobotomized monkey would have been considered an upgrade.

So yeah, duh, of course Fat Mike is an upgrade over Clappy..............but its not like the bar was set very high to begin with.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Of course it's better. You don't have to win a Super Bowl to be better than we had before, he's brought 3 12 win seasons to Dallas and that's a clear improvement over JG.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Of course it's better. You don't have to win a Super Bowl to be better than we had before, he's brought 3 12 win seasons to Dallas and that's a clear improvement over JG.
Exactly.............MM is not going to be winning any rings during his time in Dallas, but he was exponentially better than Clappy ever was.