Are we in a better place with McCarthy?

Hadenough

Reaction score
In fairness of McCarthy he has done a decent job considering he has been handicapped by the owner. He also inherited Dak and he is unable to fix the apple choking Dak in the playoffs. Just remember I wanted Garrett gone a long time ago and Jerry to hire Kyle Shanahan. But what do I know I'm no GM.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In fairness of McCarthy he has done a decent job considering he has been handicapped by the owner. He also inherited Dak and he is unable to fix the apple choking Dak in the playoffs.
The only problem with the "handicapped by the owner" and "He also inherited Dak" excuses is Big Mike knew that before he accepted the job.

There was no "surprise" moment or "he didn't see that coming" moment either. He knew exactly what he was walking into.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It was everything and everybody. That is a coaching issue, and it falls squarely on McCarthy and his staff. I guess this year we will see how much Dan Quinn was at fault but I don't expect much to change
I agree with this....somewhat. As you mentioned the postseason margin is razor thin. Your weaknesses as a team will show and the idea of course is to either hide them or at least keep them to a min. Some of this IMO falls on Jerry and Stephens's refusal to sign a few QUALITY free agents and I'm not talking about paying huge money. They have passed on several starting types that signed for little or nothing. For example, we just found out Wagner WOULD have come here ( Quinn wanted him ) but Stephen refused and he resigned with the Seahawks for only a few million dollars. Tell me he couldn't have helped close the margin a bit against the Packers. There are examples like this going 15-20 years back but players, coaches and QBs have changed and we STILL see the same postseason results.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
who's going to call them out???????????
The media wont out of fear for their jobs.
The players wont, for similar reasons.

Fans all over the country can , but that is meaningless. jones and players call that "noise" and they just ignore it.

If all the cowboys formed a club and could agree on actions, and donate some $ for the actions, then they could make those
opinions and feelings public in a way it could not be ignored. For example billboards in frisco area. A free newspaper or website
just about the cowboys , with no holds barred articles.
We’ve had several local media sports personalities who have called him out. And we’ve had some players call him out as well.

While they haven’t been ignored fans in general have given him a lifetime pass for his early success . And to his credit he continues building hype around a team that most years has been interesting and relative despite the disappointment and frustration.

Flinger

Reaction score
Even if it was, the front office hires the coaches. Jerry wants to be the man and he is going to literally die trying.

I’ve got some bad news for him though…it’s quite clear at this point that if he refuses to share the spotlight there will be no spotlight to share.

Let’s see how the kid warms up to being in charge in his own as the media gets tougher. That’s what our hopes have been reduced to.
100%

75boyz

Reaction score
The only problem with the "handicapped by the owner" and "He also inherited Dak" excuses is Big Mike knew that before he accepted the job.

There was no "surprise" moment or "he didn't see that coming" moment either. He knew exactly what he was walking into.
Exactly.
People weren't knocking down his door to hire him.
No one put a gun to his head to accept the job.

He knew all of this going in as part of his accepting the job.
Every coach Jerry hires knows this.

He was hired specifically to achieve the playoff success Garrett never did.
He has failed miserably at that.

Exceeding the Garrett bar of coaching standard is not the goal as HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
Winning trophies is.
He did it at his last job.

The continued nonsense of its Jerry's fault 'cuz this coach sucks at playoff football is nonsense.

Mike McCarthy sucks as a Dallas Cowboys playoffs head coach and that's on him.
Period.

Flinger

Reaction score
Me having played organized sports has absolutely nothing to do with what’s been going on with this organization the past 30 years. There’s a lot of people who get paid to talk NFL football that thought McCarthy should have been fired after the debacle in the playoffs. How can you be doing a very good job when your team shows up flat for the playoffs? How can you be doing a very good job when your team is leading the league in penalties? He was absolutely brought here to win a championship. His resume in Green Bay that included a Super Bowl win got him the job with the Cowboys.

When the Joneses were both asked why McCarthy still has a job after what happened in the playoffs, they keep bringing up that damn Super Bowl win he had 13 years ago. That was the selling point Jerry used during his presser when he announced McCarthy as the head coach four years ago. When your team is showing up flat for the playoffs and it leads to an embarrassment especially at home that’s on the head coach. There’s no excuse for a 12 win team to look as bad as we did in the playoffs.
I see a team that has been 12-5 3 consecutive years. A team that is competitive. A team that is fun to watch. A team that has made the tournament every each time. They won one game in that tournament. The others were diappointments, for sure.

And the weaknesses that manifest in the tournament are due to gaps in player personnel quality and/or injuries. The coach simply makes due with what he has. Of course, he can influence the GM in the off-season and during the season to find players who "fit" his system best. But if that GM will not act, it is not on the coach.

Put the pitchforks away and enjoy the game.

Coaching is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
McCarthy would have won a championship already if he hadn't been saddled with an inept quarterback who is grossly overpaid.
Now it would appear that he sold out to Jerry's circus after last season and he will probably need to go.
Well, there’s probably only a handful or less of QB’s that could have won a championship with the roster we’ve had overall in recent years.

Unfortunately most teams don’t get a HOF caliber QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A monkey throwing poo would have been an upgrade over Clapper.
Campo might have something to say about that.

Bottomline is we still haven’t had a HC that has taken us deeper into the playoffs , had more divisional round playoff games or playoff wins this Century.

There has been a few other HC’s we’ve had who we’d think are more legit in Bill, Wade and now Mike. It is what it is. The longer our disappointment and frustration continue the less we can hold one HC any more at fault than the others.

And if Garrett is the worst we’ve had then his record in the playoffs stands with the rest this Century besides not being a legit HC. Truly remarkable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
that is true, in most regular nfl teams HC and GM's often share the blame or the glory.
We can't get jerry the gm fired because jerry the owner likes him too much lol.
True but that doesn’t mean we still shouldn’t ultimately hold him responsible and keep the pressure on.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I much prefer to place the blame on Jerry and Stephen, as our front office reps, than Mike McCarthy. Obviously, Jerry & Stephen prefer to put the blame on McCarthy, since it serves to deflect the blame from themselves. That's what I'd simply call a cutthroat management that refuses to take the blame for their own deficiencies. If that's their solution to this team's problems, it's not working and probably never will.

It's going on close to 3 decades of failures to be a legitimate playoff contender for the Super Bowl. Their denial of responsibility is clearly irresponsible and not being accountable for their miscues. That saddens me to no end, but if they're content with just being entertainment, then, so be it. I'll just continue to keep my expectations at arm's length as long as their stubbornness continues. It's a shame so many fans are being let down, though.

Last edited:

Flinger

Reaction score
Their denial of responsibility is clearly irresponsible and not being accountable for their miscues. That saddens me to no end, but if they're content with just being entertainment, then, so be it. I'll just continue to keep my expectations at arm's length as long as their stubbornness continues. It's a shame so many fans are being let down, though.
100%

Wise counsel...

75boyz

Reaction score
I much prefer to place the blame on Jerry and Stephen, as our front office reps, than Mike McCarthy. Obviously, Jerry & Stephen prefer to put the blame on McCarthy, since it serves to deflect the blame from themselves. That's what I'd simply call a cutthroat management that refuses to take the blame for their own deficiencies. If that's their solution to this team's problems, it's not working and probably never will.

It's going on close to 3 decades of failures to be a legitimate playoff contender for the Super Bowl. Their denial of responsibility is clearly irresponsible and not being accountable for their miscues. That saddens me to no end, but if they're content with just being entertainment, then, so be it. I'll just continue to keep my expectations at arm's length as long as their stubbornness continues. It's a shame so many fans are being let down, though.
Yep.
It boils down to whether you want to bundle all the blame under the umbrella of being Jerry's fault or not.
And that is to say is it Jerry's fault how unprepared his Super Bowl winning coach's team has looked in the playoff games or does the coach himself bear at least some responsibility?

Same question for Jerry's regular season runner up MVP QB and his playoff performances.

Do we just say "Well, Jerry hired the coach and acquired the QB so it is ultimately Jerry's fault?

Or do we share this blame game hot potato between all 3 as they all ultimately have sucked at their jobs.

In my book, at some point ya gotta hold the HC and QB individually responsible for how they both suck at playoff football.

Regardless if Jerry hired or drafted them.

And nope I ain't a Jerry apologist either. I just dont think the HC and QB individually deserve a free pass on their share of the blame either.

jmo

Last edited:

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
No.
Any other walkabout coach would have had the same results with our talent. All that is required is that we hang around the rim, and that is what Mike can give you if your division rivals mostly stink. Just don't expect to beat really good teams and do expect to lose to two teams you shouldn't.

Flinger

Reaction score
In my book, at some point ya gotta hold the HC and QB individually responsible for how they both suck at playoff football.
Don't disagree...

But in this case, MM is not to blame. He is a very good coach who has built a high performing team. With GB, he has skins on the wall.

I grew up with the Cowboys. They started in Dallas when I was 5. I watched them grow into a chamionship caliber team that sustained excellence for about 20 of the first 30 years.

Under Landry, they didn't win in the playoffs every year. But under Landry, they were very well coached and won more than they lost - always giving themselves a chance in the playoffs. Took him 11 years to win a SB.

That is where we are today. Good coaching. Sustained winning. Good system. A chance to dance.

75boyz

Reaction score
Don't disagree...

But in this case, MM is not to blame. He is a very good coach who has built a high performing team. With GB, he has skins on the wall.

I grew up with the Cowboys. They started in Dallas when I was 5. I watched them grow into a chamionship caliber team that sustained excellence for about 20 of the first 30 years.

Under Landry, they didn't win in the playoffs every year. But under Landry, they were very well coached and won more than they lost - always giving themselves a chance in the playoffs. Took him 11 years to win a SB.

That is where we are today. Good coaching. Sustained winning. Good system. A chance to dance.
Yeah, I'm a 50 plus year fan myself. So I relate to your Landry type standards.

I am just not that big of a McFraud supporter. Nor Jerry or Dak for that matter.

The modern NFL's ultimate triangle to success is led by the GM, HC and QB all being excellent at their jobs.

GM Jerry sucks at overall roster construction.
HC McFraud sucks at playoff football.
QB Sleepnumber sucks at playoff football.

Our triangle is lacking at all 3 positions imo.

And yet the Cowboys will remain my team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
......nope. Three 12-5 seasons. One playoff win, to show.

Biggest telling, how 23' ended. This guy lost his Mojo, years ago.

Why he's back? Obviously, Jerry thing.
why is he back? there is the coaches deadmoney. why pay two coaches, when I can only pay one and still make the same money from cowboys and be the most valuable franchise.

kskboys

Reaction score

Absolutely. However, that doesn't mean others are not at fault.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a 50 plus year fan myself. So I relate to your Landry type standards.

I am just not that big of a McFraud supporter. Nor Jerry or Dak for that matter.

The modern NFL's ultimate triangle to success is led by the GM, HC and QB all being excellent at their jobs.

GM Jerry sucks at overall roster construction.
HC McFraud sucks at playoff football.
QB Sleepnumber sucks at playoff football.

Our triangle is lacking at all 3 positions imo.

And yet the Cowboys will remain my team.
Now that I agree w/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score

If I remember correctly, you and I both used to be rather homeristic. Jerry simply drives the passion right out of you.