Are We Prepared If Romo Get's Hurt?

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1378417 said:
Wow, I was just talking about the 1 1/2 states in general (Texas being the 1, Oklahoma being the 1/2).

But since you want to go there, your claim that "Traditionally, OU owns Texas" is not "just fact" but rather complete BS.

All-Time ("Traditionally") UT/OU Series Record:

Texas leads the series 57-39-5.

Tell me again, who owns who?
Modern era, baby. What happened in 1904 I don't find relevant. LOL. It's just going to get worse, be ready.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1378431 said:
Modern era, baby. What happened in 1904 I don't find relevant. LOL. It's just going to get worse, be ready.
I don't think D. Royal liked Barry Switzer too much. LOL

Roughneck

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1378431 said:
Ah, reading the record books in the manner that most aids your team; the great pastime for those who can't rely on actual numbers, stats, or facts to win their arguments. Such a maneuver normally isn't seen from fans of programs the caliber of OU but I guess having a losing record to your biggest rival can have some humbling effects. Oh well.

I will agree with you though that it is just going to get worse. Both the all-time series lead and the current series winning streak will be extended October 6th.

Roughneck

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1378435 said:
I don't think D. Royal liked Barry Switzer too much. LOL
Yeah probably not but then again who does like a coach who sends spies to your team's practices:

“Yeah, [UT coach Darrell Royal] was pretty right [about the spying charge]…I’m not always proud of one or two things. This is one of them.” – former OU assistant Larry Lacewell, 1979

Or a hypocrite:

“We look at this game as though it were the national championship.” – Barry Switzer on the 1979 OU-UT game, in the Daily Oklahoman

“We now face the task of bouncing back to try and win the Big Eight. That is more important than beating Texas.” – Barry Switzer to OU season ticket holders, two days after losing the 1979 OU-UT game.

Or a cheater:

“[OU Coach Barry Switzer] frequently violated NCAA regulation by giving his own money to needy players. He also was aware of boosters violating the rules through their financial aid to players, and was responsible for this abuse by allowing the booster network to exist; but Switzer was never a person to worry much about rules.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“I had always thought, growing up, that college was special; yet here I was and everyone was cheating. Whether they were NCAA rules, OU rules, or society’s rules, my coaches and instructors were demonstrating to me that they didn’t apply to good football players.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“We rarely paid for anything. Beer and booze were supplied to us by Switzer. All we had to do was go to his house and he would load up the trunk of our car…We even stopped paying rent to the landlord. All we did was go to Frank Vale or some other booster and they would make up the two hundred fifty we owed each month. We found none of this strange and, in fact, only expected things to get better. I think Jamelle’s [Holieway] greatest goal in life was to one day be an OU booster.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“When I returned from court a few days later I asked Switzer about the community work. Again, he told me not to worry about it and that Shirley Vaughn would take care of it. Shirley officially was a recruitment assistant, but she was Barry Switzer’s right-hand woman. She handled things like airline tickets, game tickets, spending money. (In December 1988, she was cited by the NCAA and fired by OU for recruitment violations.) Switzer told me that Shirley would be able to have the community service hours written off for me. When I reported to Shirley and asked her where I should go to begin the work, she told me that it was all being taken care of. That was one of the many times during my first semester that I went to her about it, and each time her answer was the same: It was being taken care of.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

Or a scumbag:

“Four days before Oklahoma faced Clemson in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 2 in Orlando, Fla., Sooner assistant Scott Hill, who had earlier been reprimanded by the NCAA for recruiting improprieties and who may not recruit off-campus in 1990, engaged in what [then OU athletic director Donnie] Duncan calls ‘horseplay’ at the posh Lake Nona Golf Club. Hill ran up a $475 bar tab with other Oklahoma coaches and was involved in roughhousing that resulted in a shattered cherrywood chair and a damaged table. Hill later slammed bowl official Tony Martin into a car, bruising his cheek and chest…Not to be outdone by their coaches, a number of players trashed their rooms at the Peabody Hotel in Orlando. Switzer’s response was to upbraid the local press for reporting on the hotel incident.” –Rick Telander and Robert Sullivan, Sports Illustrated, 1989

“[Switzer] drank hard, loved to run around with women, and his players followed his example. He could outparty any of us. He enjoyed good wine and Scotch. When we drank with him, he put us under the table. At first, I looked up to him for it; later, his behavior puzzled me. It seems weird that a man more than twice my age was carrying on as he was, going out with women younger than my girlfriends.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“For the next two weeks everyone on the football team who knew about what had happened in Jamelle’s [Holieway] room waited for the police to raid Bud Hall. Nothing happened. The girl’s father was a big booster who was friends with Switzer. When he learned about what had happened to his daughter he was furious and threatened to press charges against the whole football team. Switzer asked him to wait before pressing charges and that he would straighten out the mess. Time went by and nothing happened. There were rumors about the booster being bought off, nobody knows for certain what happened, but the matter died.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

Or the runner of one of the most penalized Football Programs in NCAA History:

0227_large.jpg

I mean seriously who, other than OU fans, would like a guy like that.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1378459 said:
Ah, reading the record books in the manner that most aids your team; the great pastime for those who can't rely on actual numbers, stats, or facts to win their arguments. Such a maneuver normally isn't seen from fans of programs the caliber of OU but I guess having a losing record to your biggest rival can have some humbling effects. Oh well.

I will agree with you though that it is just going to get worse. Both the all-time series lead and the current series winning streak will be extended October 6th.
You mean the current 2 game "streak". LOL. Gosh, games from 1921 are so important today. If Oklahoma is such a bad place, why do so many Texans rush up there to play ball? We'll just see on 10/6---looking forward to it.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1378485 said:
Yeah probably not but then again who does like a coach who sends spies to your team's practices:

“Yeah, [UT coach Darrell Royal] was pretty right [about the spying charge]…I’m not always proud of one or two things. This is one of them.” – former OU assistant Larry Lacewell, 1979

Or a hypocrite:

“We look at this game as though it were the national championship.” – Barry Switzer on the 1979 OU-UT game, in the Daily Oklahoman

“We now face the task of bouncing back to try and win the Big Eight. That is more important than beating Texas.” – Barry Switzer to OU season ticket holders, two days after losing the 1979 OU-UT game.

Or a cheater:

“[OU Coach Barry Switzer] frequently violated NCAA regulation by giving his own money to needy players. He also was aware of boosters violating the rules through their financial aid to players, and was responsible for this abuse by allowing the booster network to exist; but Switzer was never a person to worry much about rules.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“I had always thought, growing up, that college was special; yet here I was and everyone was cheating. Whether they were NCAA rules, OU rules, or society’s rules, my coaches and instructors were demonstrating to me that they didn’t apply to good football players.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“We rarely paid for anything. Beer and booze were supplied to us by Switzer. All we had to do was go to his house and he would load up the trunk of our car…We even stopped paying rent to the landlord. All we did was go to Frank Vale or some other booster and they would make up the two hundred fifty we owed each month. We found none of this strange and, in fact, only expected things to get better. I think Jamelle’s [Holieway] greatest goal in life was to one day be an OU booster.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“When I returned from court a few days later I asked Switzer about the community work. Again, he told me not to worry about it and that Shirley Vaughn would take care of it. Shirley officially was a recruitment assistant, but she was Barry Switzer’s right-hand woman. She handled things like airline tickets, game tickets, spending money. (In December 1988, she was cited by the NCAA and fired by OU for recruitment violations.) Switzer told me that Shirley would be able to have the community service hours written off for me. When I reported to Shirley and asked her where I should go to begin the work, she told me that it was all being taken care of. That was one of the many times during my first semester that I went to her about it, and each time her answer was the same: It was being taken care of.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

Or a scumbag:

“Four days before Oklahoma faced Clemson in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 2 in Orlando, Fla., Sooner assistant Scott Hill, who had earlier been reprimanded by the NCAA for recruiting improprieties and who may not recruit off-campus in 1990, engaged in what [then OU athletic director Donnie] Duncan calls ‘horseplay’ at the posh Lake Nona Golf Club. Hill ran up a $475 bar tab with other Oklahoma coaches and was involved in roughhousing that resulted in a shattered cherrywood chair and a damaged table. Hill later slammed bowl official Tony Martin into a car, bruising his cheek and chest…Not to be outdone by their coaches, a number of players trashed their rooms at the Peabody Hotel in Orlando. Switzer’s response was to upbraid the local press for reporting on the hotel incident.” –Rick Telander and Robert Sullivan, Sports Illustrated, 1989

“[Switzer] drank hard, loved to run around with women, and his players followed his example. He could outparty any of us. He enjoyed good wine and Scotch. When we drank with him, he put us under the table. At first, I looked up to him for it; later, his behavior puzzled me. It seems weird that a man more than twice my age was carrying on as he was, going out with women younger than my girlfriends.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

“For the next two weeks everyone on the football team who knew about what had happened in Jamelle’s [Holieway] room waited for the police to raid Bud Hall. Nothing happened. The girl’s father was a big booster who was friends with Switzer. When he learned about what had happened to his daughter he was furious and threatened to press charges against the whole football team. Switzer asked him to wait before pressing charges and that he would straighten out the mess. Time went by and nothing happened. There were rumors about the booster being bought off, nobody knows for certain what happened, but the matter died.” – former OU quarterback Charles Thompson

0227_large.jpg

LOL. Switzer was the best, very honest & colorful. Joe Paterno wrote the foreword in his book, "Bootlegger's Boy". Sorry Barry didn't babysit all the players on the team, as I'm sure Mack Brown does. LOL. I think I've hit a sore spot with you when it comes to the Sooners. Nice article from the late 1980's, though. I'll bet it went right up your rear when Switz was named head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Barry even owns a Super Bowl Ring to go with his 3 nat'l championship rings. Have you ever read Switzer's book? The best sports book I've ever read, bar none. Switzer liked to drink, womanize, smoke & party---how terrible! Texas is, of course, squeaky clean in every way. Those mean ugly Oklahomans are just horrible, right? LOL

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Roughneck;1378485 said:

Or a hypocrite:

Or a cheater:

Or a scumbag:

0227_large.jpg

Aww shucks that don't matter he won a Super Bowl :rolleyes:

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
This is too funny. It's not like Texas, USC and all the other programs didn't recruit these same bad apples. They'd have all been model citizens at Texas, though. LOL. Such hypocrisy. So dishonest. Laughable.

MONT17

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1377414 said:
This backup QB thing really needs to be addressed. Bledsoe will be gone, which will leave only Baker. We need to bring 4 QB's to camp. We need to find 2, including one who will give TR some REAL competion which will make him better. This year I'm leaning towards a draft pick and a soild vet. For the vet, we might have to trade and not just settle for a castoff or some guy out of work. Thoughts?

We dont need Backups in Cowboy Land!!!

Roughneck

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1378895 said:
This is too funny. It's not like Texas, USC and all the other programs didn't recruit these same bad apples. They'd have all been model citizens at Texas, though. LOL. Such hypocrisy. So dishonest. Laughable.
Not every recruit that Mack Brown and Pete Carroll sign are perfect little angels but they are still able, for the most part, to keep them inline. Neither Mack Brown nor Pete Carroll have ever been put on NCAA Probation for flagrant rule violations and lack of institutional control (NCAA's exact wording). Can Barry say the same? I'm sure it wasn't that big of a deal though, since that was 18 years ago and you seem to have problems remembering anything past 5 minutes ago. Since you probably weren't even alive at that point, which would explain a lot of your arguments and opinion, Barry did "quit" following the scandal but that doesn't implicate him any manner whatsoever. Oh wait it does. But who cares if you break continually break NCAA rules, run one of the dirtiest programs in college football history, and overesee the ruination of several talented young men that just wanted to play football, as long as you win everything is okay, right?

Roughneck

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1378771 said:
LOL. Switzer was the best, very honest & colorful. Joe Paterno wrote the foreword in his book, "Bootlegger's Boy". Sorry Barry didn't babysit all the players on the team, as I'm sure Mack Brown does. LOL. I think I've hit a sore spot with you when it comes to the Sooners. Nice article from the late 1980's, though. I'll bet it went right up your rear when Switz was named head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Barry even owns a Super Bowl Ring to go with his 3 nat'l championship rings. Have you ever read Switzer's book? The best sports book I've ever read, bar none. Switzer liked to drink, womanize, smoke & party---how terrible! Texas is, of course, squeaky clean in every way. Those mean ugly Oklahomans are just horrible, right? LOL
Yeah no **** and that is a great example to set for all of those 18 year olds who are away from home for the first time in their life. That's a Coach who I want to send my son to go play for, let me tell you. Honestly, I'd suggest you go read "One Heartbeat" but that only talks about a Coach who wins an exorbitant amount of football games all the while creating a family atmosphere and genuinely caring about the players under his watch, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

Oh and it is universely known that Barry had as much to do with Ring #5 as the groundscrew that cleaned up Texas Stadium. That was still Jimmy's team, run by Jimmy's players. Switzer stood there, watched Troy & Company dominate games on their own, and then yelled baby a lot. Not exactly gonna go down in the Coaches Hall of Fame for that one.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeagermeister;1377697 said:
In the first half he was great but the second was a disaster :D

You know, I was in San Fran on business during that game against the Giants. I was headed to a sports bar and on my cell phone with a buddy here in CT. who is a Giants fan. He kept on complaining who is this Clint guy and giving me updates on the phone.

I finally got settled in at half time at the sports bar and saw the disaster...lol.

If Romo, god forbid, goes down, there is always Jason Garrett.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1378940 said:
Not every recruit that Mack Brown and Pete Carroll sign are perfect little angels but they are still able, for the most part, to keep them inline. Neither Mack Brown nor Pete Carroll have ever been put on NCAA Probation for flagrant rule violations and lack of institutional control (NCAA's exact wording). Can Barry say the same? I'm sure it wasn't that big of a deal though, since that was 18 years ago and you seem to have problems remembering anything past 5 minutes ago. Since you probably weren't even alive at that point, which would explain a lot of your arguments and opinion, Barry did "quit" following the scandal but that doesn't implicate him any manner whatsoever. Oh wait it does. But who cares if you break continually break NCAA rules, run one of the dirtiest programs in college football history, and overesee the ruination of several talented young men that just wanted to play football, as long as you win everything is okay, right?
My, you are a Sooner hater. LOL. As I said before, read Switz's book and then get back to me. I don't have time to explain all this to you. It's good to know that UT & USC have always been on the up & up. LOL. Please.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1378947 said:
Yeah no **** and that is a great example to set for all of those 18 year olds who are away from home for the first time in their life. That's a Coach who I want to send my son to go play for, let me tell you. Honestly, I'd suggest you go read "One Heartbeat" but that only talks about a Coach who wins an exorbitant amount of football games all the while creating a family atmosphere and genuinely caring about the players under his watch, so you probably wouldn't be interested.

Oh and it is universely known that Barry had as much to do with Ring #5 as the groundscrew that cleaned up Texas Stadium. That was still Jimmy's team, run by Jimmy's players. Switzer stood there, watched Troy & Company dominate games on their own, and then yelled baby a lot. Not exactly gonna go down in the Coaches Hall of Fame for that one.
LOL. Sure, Switz had nothing at all to do with the SB win. Keep on reading columns by those who hate the man. No OU coach was going to come to Texas & get a fair shake. Barry did well in a no win situation. Don't you realize that any coach would have drafted Aikman with that pick. Keep on hating Switz, he still wears that ring proudly. He's also the coolest of folks.

Roughneck

Reaction score
philo beddoe;1379045 said:
LOL. Sure, Switz had nothing at all to do with the SB win. Keep on reading columns by those who hate the man. No OU coach was going to come to Texas & get a fair shake. Barry did well in a no win situation. Don't you realize that any coach would have drafted Aikman with that pick. Keep on hating Switz, he still wears that ring proudly. He's also the coolest of folks.
If you honestly believe that, particularly the enboldened portion, then I must take my leave as there is no use in arguing with such a warped sense of reality. Good day to you sir.

TheProphet

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1379095 said:
If you honestly believe that, particularly the enboldened portion, then I must take my leave as there is no use in arguing with such a warped sense of reality. Good day to you sir.

Actaully, Bowman has supported his position quite nicely. You, on the other hand, can only spew how much you hate anything OU related. Clearly Bowman has made his case.

I come from the school of giving Switz his due for delivering our last SB win. He was by far, the last good move JJ made in the head coaching department. Look at it objectively friend, kind of hard to argue the success OU has had over the past 35 years and not give Switz his due.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck;1379095 said:
Good riddance then. Sorry to inform you that Barry Switzer is not "universally" hated as you previously thought. Seriously, read Barry's book prior to forming such a negative opinion of such a good guy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1379119 said:
Good riddance then. Sorry to inform you that Barry Switzer is not "universally" hated as you previously thought. Seriously, read Barry's book prior to forming such a negative opinion of such a good guy.
Not trying to stick my nose in but the day he was hired was probably my least favorite day as a Cowboys fan, and the day he was fired ranks in the top 10 best days.

I can't stand the guy and never could. I did not want him here. I was embarrassed while he was here. I am thrilled he is long gone.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with hating Oklahoma because I don't. It is entirely about him and what he stood for.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;1379236 said:
Not trying to stick my nose in but the day he was hired was probably my least favorite day as a Cowboys fan, and the day he was fired ranks in the top 10 best days.

I can't stand the guy and never could. I did not want him here. I was embarrassed while he was here. I am thrilled he is long gone.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with hating Oklahoma because I don't. It is entirely about him and what he stood for.

as usual right on the nose

:hammer: