Are You For Dak’s New Contract?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
He had an all-time great type of POST SEASON game just last year on the road against Tampa Bay, who had a pretty good defense. But it doesn't count because....well......it doesn't fit the argument
Does the fact that Tampa hobbled into the playoffs factor into things?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you just gloss over the fact I said assuming he shows the pedigree? Or did you just want to get a snarky comment in?

I also saw where you said this was your plan for the team, that Arch has all the tools, and that if he is top 3 the Cowboys will have to move up to get him.

I just feel at this point it's silly to call this a plan, determine Arch has all the tools, or even discuss, for that matter. There is too much left to learn, especially considering he hasn't even become a starting QB at the college level yet. Plus, if he is #3 in the "top 3", why not target #1 or #2? If all things are equal, maybe the pedigree pushes him over the top, but again, way too much to learn to even discuss now.

And realistically, we could say the same about any college QB "assuming" he shows enough for there to be a reason to target him. What a player actually shows on the field is way more important than pedigree.

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Purdy proves how lucky teams must be unless you get the top 3 pick and land a stud prospect QB. The Niners had no clue what they were doing with Purdy. People belittle what Purdy is doing by saying he has so much talent around him..... well Lance had that same "Talent," nd he was pathetic. Just look around the league at the DOZEN or more teams in QB purgatory and have been for some time now. That is far more likely to be our fate vs landing a Purdy worthy QB by luck.
Nope-it proves that the minimum intangible you need to succeed in this league is the do not crap your pants when the lights go on ability.

The minimum talent the QB needs is to first NOT do stupid stuff with the football. Then throw to your biggest playmakers.

Trey maybe cannot pass the intangible minimum. Which precludes everything else-though it’s not like he played much at all. Purdy showed poise an understanding of their concepts, and did what his coach told him to. They went deep in the playoffs and since he’s young-they decided to go with him. SF immediately started losing games being without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel.

The other teams do not have close to SF team talent (or coaching and front office)-which is why they suck or are mediocre-not just because they have not found a decent QB.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I don’t understand when people try to suggest building the team in the image of one unique team. People tried to do this with the Pats all the time. Can’t use them as an example unless you have the equivalent of Belichek and Brady on your team.

No one can replicate San Fran’s style because no one has that combination of coaching on both sides of the ball and front office excellence. They draft well, make star studded in-season trades, and have elite coaching schematically.

These are extremely hard to do in unison and thus why no other team has been able to replicate the “amazing roster solid cheap QB” method. Additionally, it hasn’t resulted in a SB yet. So we’ll see if the QB is ultimately what holds them back ala Jimmy G.

Letting go of a top 8 QB to try to build a team as San Fran would with our culture, FO, and coaching makes no sense. Not saying we have a poor staff or FO, but we are not them and we aren’t built like them. Take certain elements such as building from the inside out, but don’t blown it up and think you’re gonna be able to create a San Fran south.
It just means there are many ways to build a team. SF’s way was not the way that KC built their squad. Philadelphia seems to have most closely built a squad from the inside out.

Hurts is not a generational talent, but he’s got decent arm talent and enough brains to figure out how to use RPO and playaction to deliver to his elite receivers. The running game is powered by a dominant offensive line. Detroit is winning more games after building their own dominant offensive line. Some teams are better at building their lines of scrimmage. Some teams get unlucky with injuries to their lineman. Some teams are in constant rebuilding because their front offices fire everyone every two to three years. Some fans are obsessed with being bridesmaids and competing rather than winning championships-it’s weird. I don’t know many Cowboy’s fans personally that are gung-ho with marketing the brand and at least making the playoffs every season because they are terrified to have a few terrible seasons in a rebuild. There seem to be lots of fans on this board that believe the team falls off a cliff without Dak-laughable after watching Cooper Rush success with the same cast (and I doubt most think Cooper is starting QB material).

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Purdy proves how lucky teams must be unless you get the top 3 pick and land a stud prospect QB. The Niners had no clue what they were doing with Purdy. People belittle what Purdy is doing by saying he has so much talent around him..... well Lance had that same "Talent," nd he was pathetic. Just look around the league at the DOZEN or more teams in QB purgatory and have been for some time now. That is far more likely to be our fate vs landing a Purdy worthy QB by luck.
Sad but true.

We lucked into Dak right after Romo.

Hopefully the next QB Purgatory won't be as bad as the Hutch/Quincy/Henson/Tesatverde/etc one.

I think you just have to do what the NBA does and throw the season and get yourself a high 1st round talent.

Not guaranteed, but more of a sure bet than gambling with rounds 3 through UDFA.

Would be nice to start with another Aikman pedigree QB next time.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I'm for it if the contract has a few stipulations:

1. Low base pay amount
2. Bonuses for successful 2 minute drill execution during games
3. Bonuses for Red Zone success rate
4. Bonuses for high TD count
5. Negative bouses for Interceptions
6. Bonuses for playoff success

I've changed my mind, no amount of reward will make Dak a non choker LOL.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Lance broke his ankle.
uhmm... did you ever watch him? He was NEVER playing well.
Nope-it proves that the minimum intangible you need to succeed in this league is the do not crap your pants when the lights go on ability.

The minimum talent the QB needs is to first NOT do stupid stuff with the football. Then throw to your biggest playmakers.

Trey maybe cannot pass the intangible minimum. Which precludes everything else-though it’s not like he played much at all. Purdy showed poise an understanding of their concepts, and did what his coach told him to. They went deep in the playoffs and since he’s young-they decided to go with him. SF immediately started losing games being without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel.

The other teams do not have close to SF team talent (or coaching and front office)-which is why they suck or are mediocre-not just because they have not found a decent QB.
Pick your top 6 teams.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sad but true.

We lucked into Dak right after Romo.

Hopefully the next QB Purgatory won't be as bad as the Hutch/Quincy/Henson/Tesatverde/etc one.

I think you just have to do what the NBA does and throw the season and get yourself a high 1st round talent.

Not guaranteed, but more of a sure bet than gambling with rounds 3 through UDFA.

Would be nice to start with another Aikman pedigree QB next time.
if you went back 15 years and listed every 1st rd draft pick that was a qb, more than 50% were busts.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Against until we see the end result of this season.
Lets say we lose in the wildcard weekend. So you say nope, see ya Dak.

You do know he is still under contract for NEXT season, yes? Do you know what his cap hit is for next season? Do you know we are wasting time discussing it as he WILL be given an extension this year, no matter what happens in the playoffs.

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
Lets say we lose in the wildcard weekend. So you say nope, see ya Dak.

You do know he is still under contract for NEXT season, yes? Do you know what his cap hit is for next season? Do you know we are wasting time discussing it as he WILL be given an extension this year, no matter what happens in the playoffs.
You got a lot of questions for someone so concerned about wasting time.

Blitzen

Reaction score
if you went back 15 years and listed every 1st rd draft pick that was a qb, more than 50% were busts.
My argument is that many of those QB’s could likely have been at least decent starters given opportunities that were not destined to fail. Lots of those squads were terrible to begin with and had poor coaching and front offices. To top it off, they probably moved up lots of times losing high end picks to build the team in subsequent years.

You are being way too QB centric on the building and structure of teams. Mahomes got killed versus TB in the Super Bowl without his starting tackles. They upgraded and they won again. Now they need to add a weapon or two. The lines of scrimmage is still the defining factor to wins and losses.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
My argument is that many of those QB’s could likely have been at least decent starters given opportunities that were not destined to fail. Lots of those squads were terrible to begin with and had poor coaching and front offices. To top it off, they probably moved up lots of times losing high end picks to build the team in subsequent years.

You are being way too QB centric on the building and structure of teams. Mahomes got killed versus TB in the Super Bowl without his starting tackles. They upgraded and they won again. Now they need to add a weapon or two. The lines of scrimmage is still the defining factor to wins and losses.
bahahhahaha...... Mahomes got killed because he could hardly walk.

And yes, I am very QB Centric.

Bengals sucked, got Burrow, bam SB appearance.
Bucs sucked, got Brady, won SB
Chiefs were nothing more than a 1 and done low end quality team NEVER gonna win a SB. Got Mahomes, pow.
Houston was picked to be one of the worst teams in the league, got a stud QB pow, likely making playoffs this year.
Colts sucked, got manning and win SB, Manning goes away they had Luck, still solid.. no qb, they suck.
Denver sucked, got Manning, win a SB
Steelers have big Ben, SB contenders every year. Ben goes away, they suck.
Saints...... see above.

i can play this game all day long. Coach can come and go... makes no difference. See Cowher and Tomlin, Seifert and Walsh, Jimmy and Switzer.... come back and we can play some more. Works in reverse also. Seifer was HOF worthy coach all time highest win % in NFL history. Went to Carolina and must have hit his head during the flight cross country, because he clearly forgot how to coach in Carolina.

Rivera was COY worthy with MVP Cam Newton as his QB, goes to Washington with no qb and hes about to get fired.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Every draft pick and how they will handle and adapt to the NFL is a question mark but at least you get a guy with bonafide skills.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I also saw where you said this was your plan for the team, that Arch has all the tools, and that if he is top 3 the Cowboys will have to move up to get him.

I just feel at this point it's silly to call this a plan, determine Arch has all the tools, or even discuss, for that matter. There is too much left to learn, especially considering he hasn't even become a starting QB at the college level yet. Plus, if he is #3 in the "top 3", why not target #1 or #2? If all things are equal, maybe the pedigree pushes him over the top, but again, way too much to learn to even discuss now.

And realistically, we could say the same about any college QB "assuming" he shows enough for there to be a reason to target him. What a player actually shows on the field is way more important than pedigree.
Well, a plan is better than no plan. A good GM looks a few years down the road. Arch was at or near the top off prospects in the country. Early scouting reports say he has all the tools, not to mention the family name. He could have gone to any school he wanted.

If he develops into an early first round pick, I would get him(a Manning) into the building, whatever it takes. I know he has at least three years to get there but I would watch him closely. Romo to Dak to Arch……

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Every draft pick and how they will handle and adapt to the NFL is a question mark but at least you get a guy with bonafide skills.
My only point is that absolutely getting rid of Dak menas we start playing QB roulette again, and I personallyam ok with running with Dak.

Trust me, Ive never been a Dak fan, and I was ready to give him the boot last year after that loss.... but he has clearly shown he can play at a high level, so I am good with him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I'm for it if the contract has a few stipulations:

1. Low base pay amount
2. Bonuses for successful 2 minute drill execution during games
3. Bonuses for Red Zone success rate
4. Bonuses for high TD count
5. Negative bouses for Interceptions
6. Bonuses for playoff success

I've changed my mind, no amount of reward will make Dak a non choker LOL.
lol... you live in fantasy land. You also think the Cowboys somehow have the upper hand. Dak hold all the cards, Dak might win the MVP this year, and if he does, no amount of trying to explain away his success this season is going to lower the amount of money he is about to be making. In any event, his 40 million per for the length of this contract is currently a bargain.