Are You For Dak’s New Contract?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It depends on how he plays vs how the team plays.

If they end up playing some team who's defense pressures him relentlessly so that he can't perform good enough to win the game, in other words the team loses due to poor o-line play, poor defensive play, tons of penalties due to things like offsides, pass interference, etc., or drops by receivers at critical times even though Dak throws a perfect pass, fumbles by running backs or such, and on and on, yes I'd extend him.

Quarterbacks too often get too much blame for losses and too much credit for wins.

In order to win championships, a quarterback has to have a certain level of performance. If Dak attains that, then for me the risk of getting a Zack Wilson, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Matt Leinhart or such outweighs whatever shortcomings Dak has.

But if the team gives Dak great support and he can't take advantage of that, then no, I would not extend him. Of course, that means the team would be stuck with a huge salary for Dak next year, but in that instance, just bite the bullet and start over the next year with a new quarterback.

There are other possibilities, some team could offer a trade that Dak would take, and that other team would relieve Dallas of his obligation or a big chunk of it, but that's pretty far fetched. Just noting it may not be a choice of paying or cutting him.

In any case, nothing should be done until after the season....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Assuming Arch shows the same pedigree as his uncle’s……it’s in the blood. This would be perfect timing and Dallas would have to move up to get him if he is projected in the top three QB’s. He has all the tools to become a franchise QB.
How many quarterbacks have had that exact same thing and were horrendous busts?

I'd probably be okay with drafting him, just noting that it's not as simple as "Player X or Y is a great prospect, all you have to do is sign one and SB trophies will pile up like dust bunnies"....

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This.

If Dak maintains his level of play since the bye all the way through the playoffs then resign him. There’s a chance Dak could play his best game of his career against the 49ers and we still lose. So what I’m looking for is no TOs and putting points on the board in the playoffs. Dak can’t play defense. As long as Dak doesn’t freeze up in the playoffs then he can’t be the sole reason we don’t advance. I’m not one who is excited to resign him as of this date. I’m hoping for this caliber of play throughout the season and postseason. But we have to set realistic expectations for him. We can’t put penalties, the defense and ST’s on him. And if he’s playing good but WRs are dropping balls then that’s not fair to blame Dak.

I’m a guy that used to blame Dak for everything but that’s not reality or fair. If he freezes up, can’t read the defense, turns it over, and doesn’t move the offense in the playoffs then take a look at that. If he does none of that and we get beat then it’s not Dak’s fault.
1000%

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How many quarterbacks have had that exact same thing and were horrendous busts?

I'd probably be okay with drafting him, just noting that it's not as simple as "Player X or Y is a great prospect, all you have to do is sign one and SB trophies will pile up like dust bunnies"....
Many have but none with the last name of Manning :thumbup:

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score
I dont say so.... Jerry says so. I just actually listen when he speaks. He doesnt hold stuff in, he tells you what is coming.
Sure thing bub. If you believe everything that comes out of his mouth that is you prerogative. Now stop wasting time.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Hes getting an extension. Cowboys can lose in the wildcard round and hes gettingn a extension. They can lose in the Div round, hes getting an ext. They can lose in the chip game, hes getting an ext. They can lose in the SB, hes getting an ext. They can win the SB, hes getting an ext.

This isnt hard to understand, but for some reason people still think he has to "prove" something by winning in the post season to get an ext. It doesnt work that way, hasnt ever worked that way, and never will work that way.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope to sweet Jesus all our primo players earn an extension by winning at least NFCCG or more. This is the best opportunity for it.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bit early to consider anything of the sort. Let it ride and then decide.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like I said. You are making the argument that you need a hall of fame QB to win the SB or compete consistently for them.

That’s not Dak, so the only reason to re sign him is to avoid down years looking for a suitable replacement. I don’t care about the marketability of the team. I’m a fan. We want the best chance to win a Super Bowl. Give a guy 5-6 years to show their ability in the playoffs, if it doesn’t work and they don’t have an upward trajectory-just try the next guy.
Dak may very well end up a HOF QB. He’s certainly playing like one this year. I believe he also won ROY didn’t he? Just saying….

Mannix

Reaction score
This is why I’d like to see us play SF first in the playoffs…I don’t want a NFCCG appearance and loss saving Dak and Corky…play the big dog first…if we get blown out again, Dak gives us a deep discount and Corky the Conman gets sent packing.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
This is why I’d like to see us play SF first in the playoffs…I don’t want a NFCCG appearance and loss saving Dak and Corky…play the big dog first…if we get blown out again, Dak gives us a deep discount and Corky the Conman gets sent packing.
Play well, get paid well. He’s played well. He will, at least for a period, be the highest paid player in the history of the NFL. Trevor and Tua will leap frog him. That’s the way it goes.

817Gill

Reaction score
I will just say not really because the two centerpieces around Dak are CD and Parsons who are yet to be paid. We just got fortunate with Parsons who makes the whole D work even on his rookie deal.
Not sure what that means. We paid Amari and Tank top of the market deals at the same exact position CD and Parsons play. The only difference now is the cap ceiling has raised so the numbers will be higher. Still the same percentage of cap space dedicated to the two players.

We’ve literally signed any player we’ve wanted with Dak on his deal and built top of the conference teams.

The more y’all try to act like the cap is an actual obstacle to team building the more folks like Stephen Jones will continue to finesse you. The best FO’s circumvent the cap and sign/add who they want when they want.

You honestly think the NFL has designed a league where only 3/4 guys out of 53 can get max deals?

You can sign multiple guys to huge deals man, you just have to draft well to make sure your depth and youth are there (which we do).

817Gill

Reaction score
Play well, get paid well. He’s played well. He will, at least for a period, be the highest paid player in the history of the NFL. Trevor and Tua will leap frog him. That’s the way it goes.
Not sure why fans still don’t get the QB market. It’s like clockwork and it’s been like this the past 7/8 years or so. Arguing against it just shows you’re out of touch.

Doesn’t matter what you think the market should be, what it actually is you described well.

817Gill

Reaction score
Maybe....

As I recall Dak came in as a rookie on a loaded offense. Most will agree it helped him tremendously.
For sure, does anyone think the offenses he’s had recently have been drastically worse lol? We even have a better defense than 2016 by far all on his max contract.

End of the day, his contract has not hindered the teams ability to put good players on the field. This is our 3rd year in a row leading the league in scoring and being a top 3 offense. Not sure how you see that and say “well Dak’s deal is holding us back”.

817Gill

Reaction score
So the qb who is number 1 this season in almost every category, your saying get rid of because he hasnt won a SB yet? Stupid Dolphins, Vikes, Chargers...... what a bunch of morons. They all should have gotten rid of Fouts, Tarkenton and Marino.... bunch of losers.
Chefs kiss

cowboybish

Reaction score
So let’s say he does play well, but we don’t make it to the championship round. instead of paying him the huge extension… Would you take two first round pics for him? If not, what do you think you could get for him?

kskboys

Reaction score
I cant imagine a dumber move. You don't take RB's in the first round. And rolling out lance??? Just stop
KC does. Gibbs has been an absolute stud for DET and a big reason for their emergence. Bijan has been otherworldly, albeit on a bad team. SF just traded a boatload of picks for McC.

You know, people just love to repeat that little mantra about not taking RBs in the first. Truth is, there's not a position you shouldn't take in the 1st. Depends on the draft, talent, needs, BPA, there is just way too many factors when drafting to make that silly little statement.