Artificial Intelligence is Re-Shaping the World

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You have any links to prove that? Doesn’t sound right.
It sounds kind of right. When I've been doing web developing lately, I use ChatGPT to help set up the framework and then I fill in the details in code.
It's very useful. It can debug also.
One thing though, it is very fallible and you can code yourself unsuccessfully in circles trying to use it as an end-all be-all.
It's not at replacement level yet and probably won't be for several years.

T-RO

Reaction score
One of the scary aspects: its rate of development isn't like other technologies. We could easily see it get 2x better in a month, or 10x smarter with a new major release. There is no known limitation to how smart AI can get. If unchecked and allowed to self-iterate, experts in the field speak of an intelligence explosion.

"An intelligence explosion is theoretical scenario in which an intelligent agent analyzes the processes that produce its intelligence, improves upon them, and creates a successor which does the same. This process repeats in a positive feedback loop– each successive agent more intelligent than the last and thus more able to increase the intelligence of its successor – until some limit is reached. This limit is conjectured to be much, much higher than human intelligence."​

https://www.lesswrong.com/tag/intelligence-explosion

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://**********/content/2a96995b-c799-4281-8b60-b235e84aefe4

Elon Musk is developing plans to launch a new artificial intelligence start-up to compete with ChatGPT-maker OpenAI, as the billionaire seeks to join Silicon Valley’s race to build generative AI systems. The Tesla and Twitter chief is assembling a team of artificial intelligence researchers and engineers, said people familiar with the tech entrepreneur’s plans. Musk is also in discussions with a number of investors in SpaceX and Tesla about putting money into his new venture, said a person with direct knowledge of the talks. “A bunch of people are investing in it . . . it’s real and they are excited about it,” the person said.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It sounds kind of right. When I've been doing web developing lately, I use ChatGPT to help set up the framework and then I fill in the details in code.
It's very useful. It can debug also.
One thing though, it is very fallible and you can code yourself unsuccessfully in circles trying to use it as an end-all be-all.
I've been chatting on and off with ChatGPT for a couple weeks now. Just random conversation. During one convo, ChatGPT actually provided me with incorrect information. I corrected it, and, it came back and actually apologized.
"I do apologize, but you are correct.............." While I understand it's programmed to do so, it's still a trip to me. It really makes you think about the possibility of AI in the future. For better or for worse.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
"Advanced AI could represent a profound change in the history of life on Earth​
https://alphafold.ebi.ac.uk/
https://www.deepmind.com/research/highlighted-research/alphafold

This A.I. is a subsidiary of Alphabet owned by Google, and has already been being used in recent history

AlphaFold is an AI system developed by DeepMind that predicts a protein’s 3D structure from its amino acid sequence. It regularly achieves accuracy competitive with experiment.

It reminds me of Wakanda Forever, when the woman scientist is using an A.I. program to predict the structure of the heart shaped herb. She fails at achieving accuracy multiple times and then towards the end it predicts the structure within 98 percent accuracy, and then creates the herb with a 3d printer

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
One of the scary aspects: its rate of development isn't like other technologies. We could easily see it get 2x better in a month, or 10x smarter with a new major release. There is no known limitation to how smart AI can get. If unchecked and allowed to self-iterate, experts in the field speak of an intelligence explosion.

"An intelligence explosion is theoretical scenario in which an intelligent agent analyzes the processes that produce its intelligence, improves upon them, and creates a successor which does the same. This process repeats in a positive feedback loop– each successive agent more intelligent than the last and thus more able to increase the intelligence of its successor – until some limit is reached. This limit is conjectured to be much, much higher than human intelligence."​

https://www.lesswrong.com/tag/intelligence-explosion
I'm actually in the process of learning the coding of AI and it's progression.
I understand your concern and it very well might be valid, but it still has a good ways to go.
Just know you'll have an AI-code warrior on your side.
Someone's gotta be there to code against, should Skynet happen.
My brother-in-arms already is farther than me in learning what it's all about.
He's a back-end guy so he's all about databases and API's.
I'm a front-end guy so we'll hit this issue from all angles and have Elon give us a medal when he becomes the Supreme Ruler of Everydom.

Just slightly kidding about Elon of the Resurrected Hair.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
22o5s0.jpg
Speaking of Cyberdyne: I'll Be Back!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Big tech fan, but
Unless they real it in and come up with some uniform standards, this is going to end very badly...100% for sure.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Because some facets of AI code writing are now being done by....AI....there are many original code writers who can't even understand the code being written.

Multi-level/"dimensional" coding that is way over the head of some (not all...yet) of the world's best coders.

nobody

Reaction score

I can understand that. Often CEO's don't understand a lot of the tech their company produces. That's not really the job of most CEO's. Theirs is to run the business. Now if the project leads didn't understand it, that would be a giant red flag.

T-RO

Reaction score
Now if the project leads didn't understand it, that would be a giant red flag.
In AI these unexpected capabilities are referred to as "emergence" and it is repeatedly surprising everyone, including the project leads.

For instance, sometimes merely scaling the number of GPUs (that AI's use as neurons) opens up entire pathways of capabilities. Sometimes A.I. "hallucinates". (Not my term or claim!) This is true for ChatGPT and for others like Google's Bard.

Link:
Google CEO Sundar Pichai says ‘hallucination problems’ still plague A.I. tech and he doesn’t know why

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Musk has been talking about this for a long time, and I agree with him here.

Just a lot at stake here...and they're already waging irregular warfare on the middle classes..

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Ethics has always been a major issue for science, from the study of human anatomy, to studying the effects of drugs and pathogens. Sometimes we get it wrong. It is no different with A.I. There are clearly dangers to humanity with A.I. as there are with gain of functions studies in virology.

Can we apply the 3 laws of robotics to all AI, or is that an impossibility? Can we program A.I. with failsafe parameters to prevent something like "Colossus: The Forbin Project"? should we limit the application of A.I.?

Remember, transitions in society do not take place overnight. We will adapt to change, even A.I., as we go. Automating jobs has been going on forever. We have adjusted along the way. I believe there will always be jobs for humans, even in a fully automated production environment. They just may not be jobs the way we know them today.

btw, a lesser discussed danger in science is genetics. We continue to advance our knowledge and abilities in this area and there are concerned about abuse. There has already been suspicion that China is experimenting with creating more advanced humans that are smarter, stronger, and generally superior to other humans. We could see a kind of race to apply genetics in warfare.
This is interesting..I was not aware of this.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
People opinion of shutting down a.i. does not matter. Technology is always taken to its fullest practical limits and weaponized. In my opinion nothing is being stopped.

I will give you a hint on cars. The technology will not stop until cars being able to be shutoff or piloted remotely without the consent of the driver, full time travel tracking, facial monitoring while driving, and when the china like social credit system is fully in place here, depending on what you have said or done your car might not turn on, and depending on enviromental factors cars might not be able to be used.

Tesla never would have stayed afloat as a company without government money. Musks companies are governement funded, and it is not for the planet or for the benefit of the people
Man, you are so right.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
https://www.sanctuary.ai/news/
https://www.youtube.com/@sanctuaryai/videos

Sanctuary is a company started by geordie rose, who was also a founder of dwave computers and kindred a.i..

Their goal is to make an a.i. robot better than humans at everything, and his claim in 2017 was the world was very close to that goal.

If you look at what is out I would say there is a long way to go, but I doubt what we see is anywhere near where they are at with the technology. I wonder about the robot fingers. I would love to see a time lapse of a.i. robot fingers using machine learning to do different tasks, and how hard it would be to be successful

You have to know for a fact that the government technology is 30 years, or more, ahead of the private sectors...

If you need ab example, look at the military tech we used in the first Gulf war.

If you put that technology in thr context of predicting what a future economic Giant may look like, you can see the real reasons behind that war, and the subsequent one.

Just look at how Bush took out the ever-so-popular Anne Richards, and you know they had a leg up on the analytics front...

I've used analytics to go from people being completely unaware to having the entire world marching for a cause.

Knowing how to manipulate thought and actions with data and algorithms weilds a lot of power....

It's really scary.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you look in the "black box conundrum" or the "ghost in the machines" "spirit in the machines" issue it is very interesting. They do not understand how a.i. comes up with some of the answers it gets, or how it formulates the answers it comes up with in the algorithm loops

You can laugh this off, but you can listen to a lot of these artificial intelligence people talking about aliens, gods, summoning demons, spirits

I put those 2 things together in my mind. Unknown answers and summoning answers. Here is one example

I will give you a hint here. The smartest people behind this do know.

But you have to go watch 'The Connectome.'

Or what is my connectome by Sebastian Seung....I only happen to know how this works from stumbling upon him because his father was my jurisprudence professor at UT....guy escaped North Korea.

Anyway, I will link the video. These nueral networks are being set up to work just like the human brain functions while conscious.

The way AI works is just like how we think and operate. Remeber the old analog computers?

Exactly like those, but with billions of unique connections that make up a "connectome."

Our brain fires nuerons, and along that pathway in between those pathways is where our memories are stored, like data...

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Remember all those videos we used to laugh at...where clumsy robots would fall over?

Thats the thing tho. Government has had the tech for decades. How else do we go to war and lose mere thousands? Not saying that loss didnt matter... But we've eliminated those significanly from previoua wars with super advanced tech . . . that we're just now seeing in the private sector.

If you want to stay in the loop of current capabilities do what China did and look to the U.S military for answers.....

Then apply those technologies to societies and you get a militarized product.

You could literally talk about this for days.