At what point does QB confidence become the real problem?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
KC is probably when.

He’s looking like Stats Prescott again and not the guy who started the season for us.

Lol his stats were horrible last game..lol again how does that makes sense? He looks off in timing and what he is looking for in the field...ABSOLUTLEY he needs to fix this, KM is certainley on the hook for it also ....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As someone who has suffered pretty bad depression, it could be a mental thing. Something is obviously bothering him. I don't think it is a physical issue. But all the bashing and criticism he is getting because he is the Cowboys QB, is probably not helping him if it is indeed a mental struggle. Tough spot indeed.
It is the hottest spotlight in all of sports and Booger likes it that way, can't get too much coverage.

But for some people, that comes with a price because that's not what they're comfortable with but he knows that's part of the job. Romo knew it and at times, did not handle it well. He spoke his mind and learned not to the hard way.

When all of that Kaepernick stuff was going down, he commented on that but I do not think he wanted to or say what he was asked to say.

To what you are saying, most people have their demons and some more than others and Dak lost his Mom and just a few years later, his brother to suicide and that carries its own baggage for family. If the criticism heats up, I look for his other brother to weigh in to defend Dak. That's the usual MO and unto itself, very revealing.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Did you catch the look on Prescott's face after that pick 6 got the WFT back into the game? He looked shell shocked.

He has been off ever since he came back from the calf and was at his worst yet yesterday.

Add to this his comment last week about the offense "we're coming" and he puts that performance out there as proof of that? Talk about all sizzle and no steak. I think the owner had something to do with him saying that.

Now, the national media is on him as the problem on the offense but it isn't that simple, it is multiple problems including the OC, OL and mistakes by the players.

However, that does not stop the possible erosion of self-confidence that could already be happening to him. It is not just arm talent that separates the winners from the also rans, confidence is key.

This isn't about Dak's contract or whether you like him or don't, it is about what should they do to restore that confidence he had because he has had that and has proven that he can play at a high level, a top 5 level. He was even being mentioned a s MVP candidate just weeks ago.

If this team is to make any noise in the playoffs, they cannot have QB play like yesterday and they have to get this fixed before it does become a real confidence issue, if it hasn't already become one. If it has, they have to fix that sooner than later.

And is it just me but in crunch time, do you like Kellen Moore's body language and his sideline demeanor? He has been looking more confused as this progresses and I wonder if the QB is not the only one that needs a run game?

What's your plan for keeping or restoring his confidence level?
Yesterday the only thing I saw positive from Dak and Moore was a designed run from him. He slid as fast as he could. Before that play he rolled out and again had open field ahead of him and as soon as he crossed the LOS he “slipped”. Well that wasn’t a slip, he hit the deck. He is afraid in a game to take off. A few plays later Moore calls a designed run. As the game went on he took off and got 10 for a first down. Had to give him some confidence in that respect.

But on his pick 6 I noticed he had lanes on both sides he could have and used to he would used to escape or to buy time. There were other receivers. He not only played the position bad, he almost handed the game to them single handed. But here is a question, who called that play at that time in the game. No need for it. Was it a run that Dak audibled out of.

His legs work fine. So is it his shoulder or his head. That play, that one play. He rolls out against the pats jumps up and throws this awesome strike to a open Lamb who scores and ends it. People can talk all day long about being clutch and choking and not being able to make the play. Well what was that play, it was a clutch play and not his only one. So people need to stop with that. But right now something is wrong.

It starts at the coaches. We need a new O-Line coach IMO.. Our O-Line is not playing up to what we should. Time to shake things up. The players are not ready or playing the way they should be. Maybe it’s practice or going back to fundamentals.. The game coming up is a game we should use to sharpen the Defense and get this Offense running again. We need a game plan that get Dak going again. Maybe we need to get us a RB in this week that can be ready to find the hole and go. But Dak needs to settle down. I have not heard how Tyron is doing but if I am Moore I will be running to the other side and rolling Dak out all day.

After this week we have the cards. This is the game every year that we beat a team that is a hard game or one we didn’t think or expect to win. I want to destroy them. And roll after that..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol his stats were horrible last game..lol again how does that makes sense? He looks off in timing and what he is looking for in the field...ABSOLUTLEY he needs to fix this, KM is certainley on the hook for it also ....
Yes he is. He has to be aware of what plays he calls and what type of throws those call for.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting between McC and Moore discussing the QB. Then, after that I'd head on over to the Cheerleaders locker room, why waste another perfectly good wall?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes he is. He has to be aware of what plays he calls and what type of throws those call for.

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting between McC and Moore discussing the QB. Then, after that I'd head on over to the Cheerleaders locker room, why waste another perfectly good wall?

If you know where the cheerleader locker room is..what was the first part again?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
that’s not the problem. He was limited in running before the calf injury. That’s from snapping his leg in 2 last season. He still played great to start this season. The problem is a combination of things , and confidence is becoming one of them, as the OP pointed out.
I stand by my opinion. Prescott is very headstrong and has overcome a lot. Joe Theismann was interviewed by 105.3 the fan and he said it could take a couple of years to get back to 100% with the severity of his injury. I tend to listen to players that have experienced a similar fate. JMO

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did you catch the look on Prescott's face after that pick 6 got the WFT back into the game? He looked shell shocked.

He has been off ever since he came back from the calf and was at his worst yet yesterday.

Add to this his comment last week about the offense "we're coming" and he puts that performance out there as proof of that? Talk about all sizzle and no steak. I think the owner had something to do with him saying that.

Now, the national media is on him as the problem on the offense but it isn't that simple, it is multiple problems including the OC, OL and mistakes by the players.

However, that does not stop the possible erosion of self-confidence that could already be happening to him. It is not just arm talent that separates the winners from the also rans, confidence is key.

This isn't about Dak's contract or whether you like him or don't, it is about what should they do to restore that confidence he had because he has had that and has proven that he can play at a high level, a top 5 level. He was even being mentioned a s MVP candidate just weeks ago.

If this team is to make any noise in the playoffs, they cannot have QB play like yesterday and they have to get this fixed before it does become a real confidence issue, if it hasn't already become one. If it has, they have to fix that sooner than later.

And is it just me but in crunch time, do you like Kellen Moore's body language and his sideline demeanor? He has been looking more confused as this progresses and I wonder if the QB is not the only one that needs a run game?

What's your plan for keeping or restoring his confidence level?
There has to be "a problem". You have identified so many potential "problems" that you now feel the need to have a "real problem" as if those other "problems" are not real. You are analyzing this team to death.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have no idea the extent of any injury Dak is dealing with because that's how this team handles that.

Y'all remember that season Emmitt was struggling and fans were wondering if this was the beginning of the end and we came to find out the team didn't want to divulge his ankle that he had to have surgery on. He played with that ankle almost the entire season with all of the guessing "what's wrong with Emmitt"?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There has to be "a problem". You have identified so many potential "problems" that you now feel the need to have a "real problem" as if those other "problems" are not real. You are analyzing this team to death.
That's what I do, been doing that a long time. I am not an X's and O's fan, bores the hell out of me, so I focus in on the other stuff.

fredp22

Reaction score
1- MM was suppose to be a guru with qb's yet seems to be oblivious to Dak's loss of confidence, any problem with Dak, or have any idea how to address it.
2- Whats Doug Nussmeier (qb coach) doing to address the problem? This is the 4th/5th week Dak is struggling yet he seems to be unconcerned, unaware, or also at a loss of what to do. Or could he the problem?

the whole country is seeing Daks confidence and performance erode weekly except for the 2 people in charge of coaching him. If they do see it then they are lost at how to address it.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

I have cameras in there so there will be film to review

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yesterday the only thing I saw positive from Dak and Moore was a designed run from him. He slid as fast as he could. Before that play he rolled out and again had open field ahead of him and as soon as he crossed the LOS he “slipped”. Well that wasn’t a slip, he hit the deck. He is afraid in a game to take off. A few plays later Moore calls a designed run. As the game went on he took off and got 10 for a first down. Had to give him some confidence in that respect.

But on his pick 6 I noticed he had lanes on both sides he could have and used to he would used to escape or to buy time. There were other receivers. He not only played the position bad, he almost handed the game to them single handed. But here is a question, who called that play at that time in the game. No need for it. Was it a run that Dak audibled out of.

His legs work fine. So is it his shoulder or his head. That play, that one play. He rolls out against the pats jumps up and throws this awesome strike to a open Lamb who scores and ends it. People can talk all day long about being clutch and choking and not being able to make the play. Well what was that play, it was a clutch play and not his only one. So people need to stop with that. But right now something is wrong.

It starts at the coaches. We need a new O-Line coach IMO.. Our O-Line is not playing up to what we should. Time to shake things up. The players are not ready or playing the way they should be. Maybe it’s practice or going back to fundamentals.. The game coming up is a game we should use to sharpen the Defense and get this Offense running again. We need a game plan that get Dak going again. Maybe we need to get us a RB in this week that can be ready to find the hole and go. But Dak needs to settle down. I have not heard how Tyron is doing but if I am Moore I will be running to the other side and rolling Dak out all day.

After this week we have the cards. This is the game every year that we beat a team that is a hard game or one we didn’t think or expect to win. I want to destroy them. And roll after that..

There was nothing wrong with calling that play. His receiver was open and he had plenty of time to hit him. He just made a horrible throw.

JBS

Reaction score
I stand by my opinion. Prescott is very headstrong and has overcome a lot. Joe Theismann was interviewed by 105.3 the fan and he said it could take a couple of years to get back to 100% with the severity of his injury. I tend to listen to players that have experienced a similar fate. JMO

So you aren’t saying it’s the calf. You are saying it’s the injury from last year. That’s obvious but how do you explain the early success to start the season then?

Praxit

Reaction score
..not worried, CC. Dak has shown what he can do and accomplish. With 4 games still to go, plenty of time to work himself back up into swing of things.

I also saw the look on his face after int. Shocked! indeed, ...shocked that he did not see the defender. Heck, the whole nation was shocked.

But it happens. I got my chips on Dak, he rights the ship.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The INT was so bad but the complete whiff on the tackling attempt was also horrible. Dak looks mentally and physically done out there

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We have no idea the extent of any injury Dak is dealing with because that's how this team handles that.

Y'all remember that season Emmitt was struggling and fans were wondering if this was the beginning of the end and we came to find out the team didn't want to divulge his ankle that he had to have surgery on. He played with that ankle almost the entire season with all of the guessing "what's wrong with Emmitt"?
Double edged sword.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

There was nothing wrong with calling that play. His receiver was open and he had plenty of time to hit him. He just made a horrible throw.
He should have kept rolling out.