Attendance down 1000 a day in Oxnard

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Them fires have been in the northern and southern part of California, haven't they? No where near Oxnard where Cowboys training camp is held, so why the diminishing crowds? It's either because of hotter temperatures (which we have in Texas all year round) or 30% of those fans were not truly invested. Like I said, those diminishing fans attendance numbers would not happen in San Antonio, Texas. If Cali Cowboys fans keep not showing up, don't get upset at the messenger for stating the obvious. Get upset at them if Jerry moves training camp back to Texas.
You think the crowds that show up in the tens of thousands are coming from small-town Oxnard and the other coastal cities? Nah, man. They are coming from all over. Check out post 116. And a few others in this thread.

Also, what of all the other factors listed?

How can you project what you don't know? This isn't the NFL of decades past. It is pure conjecture and hearsay to say that San Antonio or wherever else wouldn't see similar declines in attendance numbers.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You think the crowds that show up in the tens of thousands are coming from small-town Oxnard and the other coastal cities? Nah, man. They are coming from all over. Check out post 116. And a few others in this thread.

Also, what of all the other factors listed?

How can you project what you don't know? This isn't the NFL of decades past. It is pure conjecture and hearsay to say that San Antonio or wherever else wouldn't see similar declines in attendance numbers.
You truly believe the majority of those fans showing up in Oxnard are from out of state? I'll betcha they aren't.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Damn, That many people only? Wish I would've went now.. I remember going to the camps back in the early 2000's. Was awesome. Hardly anyone there.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
You truly believe the majority of those fans showing up in Oxnard are from out of state? I'll betcha they aren't.
Where did I say this? All over -- since I need to clarify -- the state. You said the "fires where no where near Oxnard" I replied that the small coastal towns aren't supporting those numbers. I also said there are many reasons, if you go by the narrative of this thread, that are contributing to the decline in attendance. Contributing factors that Texas would see as well (if you are to believe any number of the posts in here). Your conjecture about "zero drop in numbers" is something that we wont know unless camp is moved back to Texas.

Somehow, I feel like this discussion with you is going to be an exercise in futility.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you realize how bad these fires were? One just one burned an area as big as LA. I live in the north state in an area that was not in danger and yesterday was the first time I saw a blue sky in almost a month. The smoke traveled all the way to NY.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Where did I say this? All over -- since I need to clarify -- the state. You said the "fires where no where near Oxnard" I replied that the small coastal towns aren't supporting those numbers.

Somehow, I feel like this discussion with you is going to be an exercise in futility.
You're upset because I rightly called out them so called fans in California for not showing up. I'm simply stating the obvious. Try to deflect or make an argument if you want, the bottom line is that California Cowboys fans are not showing up to fill out Cowboys training camp. It has never happened when held in Texas in the past 20+ years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I didn't attend camp in Oxnard this year for the first time because there's no one worth seeing except for Zeke. Last years disappointing season along with the departure of Witten and Dez has kept fans away. The team has lost three of its most popular players Romo, Dez and Witten since 2016. The Cowboys don't look that good on paper, especially at receiver and with many fans down on Dak there's a lack of optimism with this team. The Cowboys are having to be careful with Tyron and Lee so if you attend camp you may not get to see them practice. They charge $20 to walk around the field near the sidelines and like I said there's really no one but Zeke that excites anyone. There's a lot of young players and castoffs this year battling for jobs. A lot of fans are down that the Cowboys haven't traded for Earl Thomas.

I've been watching the Cowboys since 1971 and can't recall the roster changing so much over a 3 year period with the loss of big name players. No one in their right mind would have predicted Romo, Dez and Witten would all be gone by 2018. If things don't go well during the season especially if Zeke were to go down with an injury, attendance may be down during games for the first time since Jerry's owned the team. Once you get past Zeke there's really no one who's going to put butts in the seats if the team isn't winning and Dak doesn't bounce back.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
You're upset because I rightly called out them so called fans in California for not showing up. I'm simply stating the obvious. Try to deflect or make an argument if you want, the bottom line is that California Cowboys fans are not showing up to fill out Cowboys training camp. It has never happened when held in Texas in the past 20+ years.
I'm upset that I now have wasted an hour arguing with someone as closed-minded as yourself. Someone that wont take in the posts replied to him, and instead goes off as if someone is pulling your draw string, repeating the same spiel over and over again.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
So my friends and family that lost their homes are so called fans? **** you.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you realize how bad these fires were? One just one burned an area as big as LA. I live in the north state in an area that was not in danger and yesterday was the first time I saw a blue sky in almost a month. The smoke traveled all the way to NY.
I'm an ex-firefighter. I know very well how severe wildland fires can be. Seems like those fires are not going to get better anytime soon in California. Very sad. If that's a major reason for diminishing training camp attendance numbers, Jerry might have to move camp.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
our largely conservative base finally getting mad enough about kneeling? lol

That might be true with most teams but since Jerry has publicly stated that the ALL Cowboys WILL stand I don't see that as the reason. I see it more as millennials aren't as hard core fans as older fans and are just waiting for the season to start. There are all sorts of articles where it states that millennials are so finicky and have to have everything now that if the game doesn't go as they hoped or wanted they turn if off before the 2nd quarter starts.

Haimerej

Reaction score

What about Texas fans not filling the stadium during the actual season? They give up tickets to opposing team fans all the time, hence the lack of a true home field advantage. According to Greg, they're mad at Jerry because he hasn't won a championship since the '90's. Sounds like a bunch of fairweather fans to me.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I’d say there isn’t much “star power” so to speak on the roster and that could be why the attendance was down.

Also I’d like to point out it’s been a very hot summer this year, and it could’ve also had an impact on attendance. This is the 2nd year I haven’t gone. I have my reason as I’m not sure we are set at the QB and other skill positions which usually brings in the crowds IMO. It’s very strange I feel meh about this team outside of Zeke and the defense. Maybe some share that feeling and didn’t feel like taking days off of work. Who knows. I have no proof or data to back that up just expressing my thought process.

But it’s been an exceptionally hot summer this year, I don’t remember it being this hot the last couple of years.

Gee I think EVERYONE except maybe you realize that Prescott IS the QB. Jerry, Stephen, Garrett and they're the ones that matter are 1000% for Prescott.