Balloon Fight

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yes, our signals would have reached 125 light years. But for someone to detect those early signals and return here at the same speed, they'd have to have been half that distance away.
You are assuming that you can only go faster than the speed of light by a single factor. Why?

Now maybe not as fast as Star Wars or Star Trek but if FTL is possible I am betting its a lot faster than you think

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You are assuming that you can only go faster than the speed of light by a single factor. Why?

Now maybe not as fast as Star Wars or Star Trek but if FTL is possible I am betting its a lot faster than you think
Don't let the fact that you forgot about the time it would take to get here after receiving the transmission make you feel the need to change the parameters.

But if you want to imagine faster than light travel:

It's a mind blowing "if" to even allow the possibility of approaching light speed. To go beyond it would likely require a warp bubble, or similar tech, which, as far as anyone on this planet has figured, would need a power source we can't even imagine.
There's also the possibility of a stable wormhole, but that's assuming space is folded, which is far from being a given. And a wormhole large enough to travel through would probably require the power of a supermassive black hole, and it seems unlikely even the most technologically advanced people could harness that power.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I've never seen the movie, but I've heard enough to assume the Husky was "possessed" by the Thing?
Wow! You have never seen The Thing? It's one of my all time favorite movies ever, I watch at least once a year. The way it builds tension and paranoia is masterful, great little details along the way and some the best if not the best ever practical effects.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow! You have never seen The Thing? It's one of my all time favorite movies ever, I watch at least once a year. The way it builds tension and paranoia is masterful, great little details along the way and some the best if not the best ever practical effects.
The master, Ennio Morricone, underscores the entire film with a soundtrack that is somewhat sublime, eerie, suspensive and utterly dark. In my opinion, anyone can randomly jump around the soundtrack, take in 10-15 seconds total, and get a real feel of what the movie itself is all about.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know better than to start a thread to have fun & get my mind off ****.
Lesson learned.
There is nothing wrong with starting a thread to have fun & get your mind off the nonsense. Just don't bite the folks that contribute to your thread because they won't tell you everything they know.

nobody

Reaction score
The master, Ennio Morricone, underscores the entire film with a soundtrack that is somewhat sublime, eerie, suspensive and utterly dark. In my opinion, anyone can randomly jump around the soundtrack, take in 10-15 seconds total, and get a real feel of what the movie itself is all about.

All this talk about the Thing, I think I'm gonna have to watch it again this weekend.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Don't let the fact that you forgot about the time it would take to get here after receiving the transmission make you feel the need to change the parameters.

But if you want to imagine faster than light travel:

It's a mind blowing "if" to even allow the possibility of approaching light speed. To go beyond it would likely require a warp bubble, or similar tech, which, as far as anyone on this planet has figured, would need a power source we can't even imagine.
There's also the possibility of a stable wormhole, but that's assuming space is folded, which is far from being a given. And a wormhole large enough to travel through would probably require the power of a supermassive black hole, and it seems unlikely even the most technologically advanced people could harness that power.
Here is the typical arrogance of humanity

We think we know so much when we know VERY LITTLE

You seem to think you are some kind of genius; but clearly you are not

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think if an advanced civilization that has developed ways to travel across the galaxy or universe faster than the speed of light would probably have little interest in humans. Even if they did have a passing interest, they would likely have enough technology to completely hide their presence as an observer. It is also possible they would not care at all about being hidden. Just penly show up, observe the hairless apes for a couple of hours, then grab a Monster Energy drink and be on their way.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

I think it's arrogant to suggest because there's a theory we don't know, it's arrogant to provide facts based on what we do know.

Why are so many so combative with regard to things we don't know?

I mean, he's pretty spot on.
Unless you're also harboring secrets that you just had to stop by and say you have. That seems to be common.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think if an advanced civilization that has developed ways to travel across the galaxy or universe faster than the speed of light would probably have little interest in humans. Even if they did have a passing interest, they would likely have enough technology to completely hide their presence as an observer. It is also possible they would not care at all about being hidden. Just penly show up, observe the hairless apes for a couple of hours, then grab a Monster Energy drink and be on their way.
I think if time travel were a reality and it's from an advanced civilization (which it would have to be) they would have the common courtesy to leave behind some damn evidence. Share bro! I want off this rock.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with starting a thread to have fun & get your mind off the nonsense. Just don't bite the folks that contribute to your thread because they won't tell you everything they know.
I'd prefer not to keep hearing about it to be honest.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Wow, so now you start slinging insults, just because don't want to admit you had a brain fart. Somehow, I expected this from you.

Did I use any definitive language whatsoever? I clearly stated my opinion based on what scientists on Earth know at this time. I never claimed to be a genius, I just read a lot and watch informative science based programs.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Wow, so now you start slinging insults, just because don't want to admit you had a brain fart. Somehow, I expected this from you.

Did I use any definitive language whatsoever? I clearly stated my opinion based on what scientists on Earth know at this time. I never claimed to be a genius, I just read a lot and watch informative science based programs.
Nope you just claimed knowledge humanity does not have.

That is what I mean about arrogance.

There is no way in this universe that we know enough to say anything as definite as you claimed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nope you just claimed knowledge humanity does not have.

That is what I mean about arrogance.

There is no way in this universe that we know enough to say anything as definite as you claimed.
What knowledge did I claim, that humanity doesn't have?

What did I state definitively?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
The original black&white version from 1950’s, the John Carpenter Kurt Russell-vehicle from the 1980’s, or the Mary Elizabeth Winstead movie from 2011?

I’m partial to the 1982 entrant - but all three were pretty good.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The original black&white version from 1950’s, the John Carpenter Kurt Russell-vehicle from the 1980’s, or the Mary Elizabeth Winstead movie from 2011?

I’m partial to the 1982 entrant - but all three were pretty good.
The original and the 2011 version are good but John Carpenter's version, well........

levels-whole.gif

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You started this! Now you wish you didn't? That makes no sense. I appreciate the thread. Thank you.
Thank you for your contribution!!
FFS, do you need a cookie?

Anything remotely topic related to add?