Baun, Murray or Chaisson

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup, its going to take a couple of years for Chaisson to be a force. Thats what a mid 1st round pick gets you. Baun might be a force earlier, but he doesn't hold the traits Chaisson does. There is so much untapped potential in Chaisson, and at 17, we should be all over it. Hopefully by year 2 he can be that 6-8 sack guy, and year 3 double digits.
I really think he'll be in double digits by his 2nd year, but that's just opinion. This guy is a beast.

Baun would be stupid at 17. Injury prone and small.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I really think he'll be in double digits by his 2nd year, but that's just opinion. This guy is a beast.

Baun would be stupid at 17. Injury prone and small.
Give me Baun in a trade down or in the 2nd. Already starting to feel its Chaisson or bust for me. Unless someone else falls to us.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
New names are coming into view lately, especially considering how anything is likely to happen. We don't know exactly what other teams have in mind, so alternative choices are now coming into the picture. Being left with many of our original preferences being taken makes it a realistic happening. I strongly suspect most of us are anxiously awaiting the draft and I'm no exception! :)

Last edited:

cowboygo

Reaction score
New names are coming into view lately, especially considering how anything is likely to happen. We don't know exactly what other teams have in mind, so alternative choices are now coming into the picture. Being left with most of our original preferences being taken makes alternatives a realistic possibility. I strongly suspect most of us are anxiously awaiting the draft and I'm no exception. :)
Yes, I also think not having scouts & GMs go to Pro-Days will limit group-thinking among teams, and there won't be much of a consensus. Scouts and GMs would talk to each other and teams could get a feel of who likes who. This could be the most fun draft, hopefully McClay and our scouts are able to scout better than the rest of the league.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Chaisson is a complete DE, and is very effective in the run game. Just FYI. Loaded w/ instincts and already has good technique.
Chaisson would be a good pick up, but I think Jelks and Armstrong should have a chance to show their skills. They are about the same size as Chaisson. So if you have three guys that are about the same size they're not really bringing anything different to the table. Besides our starters at DE are set so we're talking about drafting a backup in the first. I'd rather an Olineman or a DB. Someone that can be a plug and play guy.

Chaisson does stand up good against the run given his size, but so does Armstrong.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Chaisson would be a good pick up, but I think Jelks and Armstrong should have a chance to show their skills. They are about the same size as Chaisson. So if you have three guys that are about the same size they're not really bringing anything different to the table. Besides our starters at DE are set so we're talking about drafting a backup in the first. I'd rather an Olineman or a DB. Someone that can be a plug and play guy.

Chaisson does stand up good against the run given his size, but so does Armstrong.
Well..

U guys know Jerrah.

Just when you think you are going to draft defense..

our GM will draft another WR to play slot/TE.

Even though nobody plays both those positions..

Jerrah will say he 'stole one'.

Just watch.

Sorry, you guys are busy being logical.

We do not do that here.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't think he needs as lot of time. He needs coaching. He is plenty good against the run and is versatile. They can use him from day 1 in different ways. Strength isn't a problem for him.

His is raw on pass rush moves. I see him in a rotation the first year with Gregory and Aldon and coming into his own in the 2nd year. That's pretty much par with most DE's. Very few come out of the gate with 12 sacks.

Plus I wasn't to see what Gregory has anyway. He could get some snaps on the other side backup up Lawrence as well.

I see a kid when blocked by Tackles. Its a mismatch. Its like a kid trying to play with grown ups.
Even against RBs he gets manhandled. And a lot.

He ties to use hand teqnique but looks rather silly by doing so. Spin moves etc going nowhere.

In the running game teams tend to run to his side. He just gets demolished.

He doesnt seem to recognise plays. Just bad.
Sticks to the scheme much more than going for the ball.
Too often i watched him sticking to his man when it was clear for about 3 secs that the play was going the other way.

I think he has some upside. But he needs at least 2 years of grooming before you can use him in a good rotation.

What he is good at is dropping of in coverage. So i'd rather use him as a LB than at DE.

I wouldnt take him even in the 4th round. I dont have time to wait for 3 years to eventually have a player.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Give me Baun in a trade down or in the 2nd. Already starting to feel its Chaisson or bust for me. Unless someone else falls to us.

Yeah I want no part of Chaisson. If Ruggs, Kinlaw and Henderson are off the board, I’d go McKinney. I think he’ll be there. I like him way better than Chaisson, I don’t care that he’s a safety and not a DE.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I see a kid when blocked by Tackles. Its a mismatch. Its like a kid trying to play with grown ups.
Even against RBs he gets manhandled. And a lot.

He ties to use hand teqnique but looks rather silly by doing so. Spin moves etc going nowhere.

In the running game teams tend to run to his side. He just gets demolished.

He doesnt seem to recognise plays. Just bad.
Sticks to the scheme much more than going for the ball.
Too often i watched him sticking to his man when it was clear for about 3 secs that the play was going the other way.

I think he has some upside. But he needs at least 2 years of grooming before you can use him in a good rotation.

What he is good at is dropping of in coverage. So i'd rather use him as a LB than at DE.

I wouldnt take him even in the 4th round. I dont have time to wait for 3 years to eventually have a player.

Yah, sorry, dont see all that negativity. He can get overwhelmed at times but so does everyone else. Little raw but talent and heart are all there.

And I think what you described he is good at is what they could use him for. A year to groom I agree with and we have the other DE's to allow for that. But he can get playing time and be effective.

I always look at the draft as a two year play out. And after this year, Aldon and Crawford probably wont be here next year. So that leaves us with Gregory and Chaisson over there are the ONLY guys with any talent.

When would we ever get another shot again at an edge rusher like Chaisson? Gotta take him if he is there.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
For the guys that know these players who would you take at 17? I hear Chaisson first and a lot on Murray but what about Baun? I have never seen any of them play but from what Ive read it seems like Baun is a tackling macine and could be used as a chess piece at LB or DE both needs. What do you think and who would you rather have? Thanks for the input
Chaisson would be my first choice because of his size and potential to play DE. Murray would be my 2nd choice because of his position flex, speed and how they would implement him into our new D. Baun would be my 3rd choice, do to his age and possible suspension. Great production, and he has position flex like The others.

aria

Reaction score
Yeah, they shouldn't be in the same conversation.

Basically, if Chaisson slips to 17, we'd be extremely lucky. If he hadn't torn his ACL in 18, he'd have been a top 5/10 pick, easily. The torn ACL severely slowed his development. So, unless he's having lingering issues(Of that I have no idea) from the injury, we're getting a steal w/ Chaisson. He might need a season or two of acclimating before turning out, but he should be effective in a rotational role right away, at the bare minimum.
I’d hardly call it a steal, pretty much every mock draft has him going between 16-20.

dogberry

Reaction score
If we play Poe and McCoy with their hands on the ground, who will we add to Lawrence, LVE, Smith, and Lee as the fifth linebacker?

CCBoy

Reaction score
If we play Poe and McCoy with their hands on the ground, who will we add to Lawrence, LVE, Smith, and Lee as the fifth linebacker?
Murray will eventually fill for missing Lee...but here and now, fill in as the MLB and allow Smith to move out as a 3-4 linebacker as well as blitz a lot more.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I love Kenneth Murray, and I feel like I'm the last guy who does.

As Rotoworld put it, if you're looking at numbers, there's only two things that project success for NFL linebackers: 40 time and tackle numbers. https://www.rotoworld.com/article/numbers/nfl-draft-analytics-def?page=1. The correlation to 40 to LB success is one of the strongest between any Combine drill at any position. In addition, the top 6 most valuable LBs in the league all averaged 4 or more solo tackles a game in their last season.

Murray crushed the 40 with a 4.52 at 242 and finished with 4.9 solo tackles/game. Basically, he checks all the analytics boxes you want to be a stud.

I've seen people compare him to Jaylon Smith, and I like the comparison. People usually mean it negatively though, but when healthy in 2018, Jaylon was a demon. His instincts weren't great, but speed is king at LB these days and he could frickin' fly.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Murray is actually the best football player of the three.

He's got great size and runs a 4.52 40. Great tackler, can rush the QB and he's an extremely high character person and a leader. He wowed at the combine and he is winning everyone over in interviews.

I would want to take Chaisson because I think it's a bigger need. Baun isn't even in the conversation.

But the idea of an LVE-Jaylon-Murray young, athletic, dominating LB corps is actually pretty exciting.

And if we do move to a 3-4 defense, this is actually a front seven that is pretty great:

Lawrence-Poe-McCoy
LVE-Lee-Murray-Jaylon

Problem is Murray cannot cover. Poor coverage skills.