Baun, Murray or Chaisson

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chaisson is a less talented version of Randy Gregory but without the Weed problem.

He should be a good fit in the new defensive scheme.

He would not have been a great fit in the previous scheme. He would have to have played as a full time DE but he lacks the length and mass of most 4-3 DEs.

He weighed more pre-draft than Gregory did but Gregory had the frame to get bigger and played at about 265 in 2018.

Gregory 6-5, 235, 34" arms
Chaisson 6-3, 254, 32-1/4" arms

Both Gregory and Chaisson were much better at taking on blocks from OTs in the run game than would be expected for players their size.

New DC Mike Nolan (based on his last season as a DC) runs a multiple front and likes to have a hybrid LB/DE.

In 2014 Nolan used Kroy Biermann as the hybrid player.
- Biermann 6-3, NFL listed weight 255, pre-draft weight 241.
- Biermann looked bigger than the 255 in game footage from 2014.
I don't disagree with you often but will here.

Randy Gregory was a much more polished pure pass rusher.
He was a low to the ground, bend guy who ate up teams.
BUT... he was also built more like the D1 basketball prospect he had been.
The 235 was his "UP" weight. He has no mass in arms, shoulders at all.

Chaisson is ONLY 20. He was 217 at 17 years old. That's what Gregory was at Nebraska.
Chaisson loves the weight room and has tree trunks for arms.
255 is likely his normal playing weight going forward.
Physically he compares far more to Demarcus Ware than Randy Gregory. Shorter, and much thicker.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My personal value chart:
  • QB
  • Pass rush
  • Playmaker at receiver
  • OT
  • DBs
  • Interior DL and OL
  • LB
  • TE and RB

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If we take Epenesa over Chaisson we may as well fold up our tens and go home. Chaisson is by far better than Epenesa.
They would only take Epenesa if they want a full time DE, and then it would be a trade down for more picks. The consensus on Chaisson seems to be that he has all the measurables, but hasn’t really developed his pass rush beyond the speed rush, can develop into something special, but will be a part time player because he was a liability vs the run in college, unable to get off blocks, and weak at setting the edge.

kskboys

Reaction score
If we take Epenesa over Chaisson we may as well fold up our tens and go home. Chaisson is by far better than Epenesa.
Possibly. However, Epensa has a higher floor. Old debate over whether to take the high ceiling low floor guy or the lower ceiling high floor guy.

One of the last big ones I remember was Houston taking Clowney over Mack. In that case, the Epensa type was better than the Chaisson type.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sure. But you also have to get value out of your high picks. If LVE is healthy and Smith returns to 2018 form, there isn't going to be a ton of PT for Murray. They'd have to get very creative to get Murray on the field a lot if the other two play well.

Now if you think LVE will never be the same or Smith will never come close to 2018, then I guess, you could justify Murray.
Again, all of that is mostly irrelevant. If you swing at a reach and miss, you have nothing to show for the pick.

If you take the best player available and have a surplus at the position, you trade the established player for what you need, or fail to renew his contract and get a high comp pick out of that player.

You guys who would be OK with draft another BUST like Taco based on need will never learn.

Verdict

Reaction score
Give this fan 3 future starters, and he's very contented.

If it turns out you have more stuff linebackers than you need, you can always play a few 3-4 looks as well.

Draft the best players then figure out what to do with them.

Verdict

Reaction score
I've seen Murray a lot as a Texas high schooler who went to OU.
He's solid but was also inconsistent for an often under-performing OU defense.
He looks the part and tests well but often had minimal impact come game days.

To me he is not a serious consideration for any team at 17.
He is a far lesser player than LVE or Jaylon were coming out.

I veiw Murray and Gallimore differently. They were about all OU had on defense. They held the defense together with duct tape and baling wire. I think both will be better in the pros than in college where they could be schemed against because of inferior players around them.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sure. But you also have to get value out of your high picks. If LVE is healthy and Smith returns to 2018 form, there isn't going to be a ton of PT for Murray. They'd have to get very creative to get Murray on the field a lot if the other two play well.

Now if you think LVE will never be the same or Smith will never come close to 2018, then I guess, you could justify Murray.
I think you would see all 3 on the field almost every down. Lee would ride the pine or be cut.

Kwyn

Reaction score
For the guys that know these players who would you take at 17? I hear Chaisson first and a lot on Murray but what about Baun? I have never seen any of them play but from what Ive read it seems like Baun is a tackling macine and could be used as a chess piece at LB or DE both needs. What do you think and who would you rather have? Thanks for the input

The only one I would take in the first would ever Chaisson and I’m not even sold on him tbh

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

With Chason you overlook his almost non-existent production and the majority of his tape because of his upside.
His upside is perceived based off measurables, yet his arm length is in the 8th percentile and we don't have his athletic testing numbers.

So at that point you're just his upside is based off his two most recent games he's played. Can he pan out? Yes.
Should you bet the #17 overall pick on that? Nah.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

With Chason you overlook his almost non-existent production and the majority of his tape because of his upside.
His upside is perceived based off measurables, yet his arm length is in the 8th percentile and we don't have his athletic testing numbers.

So at that point you're just his upside is based off his two most recent games he's played. Can he pan out? Yes.

Maybe we should trade up for Thomas after watching this.

Reactions: JPM

eromeopolk

Reaction score
For the guys that know these players who would you take at 17? I hear Chaisson first and a lot on Murray but what about Baun? I have never seen any of them play but from what Ive read it seems like Baun is a tackling macine and could be used as a chess piece at LB or DE both needs. What do you think and who would you rather have? Thanks for the input
Murray who was the only player on Oklahoma's defense for 3 years starting as a true freshman. Basically for 3 years at OU, If Murray did not tackle you, sack you or intercept you, you were going to score on OU defense. He has 4.50 40yd speed, 6-3-240, great diagnosing of plays, and never has to come off the field. He will end the Sean Lee, and Leighton Vander Esch carousel of unavailability. Murray started all 42 games in his career for the Sooners, tallying 325 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks.

I also love his nickname "K9". The Cowboys need a dog that can hunt on defense.

It is not even close.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Murray who was the only player on Oklahoma's defense for 3 years starting as a true freshman. Basically for 3 years at OU, If Murray did not tackle you, sack you or intercept you, you were going to score on OU defense. He has 4.50 40yd speed, 6-3-240, great diagnosing of plays, and never has to come off the field. He will end the Sean Lee, and Leighton Vander Esch carousel of unavailability. Murray started all 42 games in his career for the Sooners, tallying 325 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks.

I also love his nickname "K9". The Cowboys need a dog that can hunt on defense.

It is not even close.

Murray is easily the worst of the three.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They would only take Epenesa if they want a full time DE, and then it would be a trade down for more picks. The consensus on Chaisson seems to be that he has all the measurables, but hasn’t really developed his pass rush beyond the speed rush, can develop into something special, but will be a part time player because he was a liability vs the run in college, unable to get off blocks, and weak at setting the edge.
He wasnt any kind of liability against the run in college

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don't know the story on the diluted test deal with Baun, but that aside I'd take him over Chaisson without hesitation.

Perfectly fine going against the norm, but I love the player and thinks he's a more developed pass rusher right now that could be a chess piece for our defense if used correctly.

jnday

Reaction score

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that wonders where the production is.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

Andrew Thomas is going top 10 for a reason, but :47 could've easily been called a sack + FF.

That person also didn't show Chaisson's snaps vs. Georgia's other first round tackle prospect. Probably because Chaisson whooped up on Isaiah Wilson and had a sack + multiple pressures.