FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn’t tank. They sucked.
Yeah that ‘89 team was probably the worst in our history. 1-15. But I do think it’s fair to say even though Jimmy fought hard to win every game, he was not upset to get the higher draft picks as a result of that 1-15 season.

If memory serves me, Jimmy churned that roster all season long, using the most in-season cuts and roster moves in team history. That may not be tanking but it was an aggressive rebuild like we’ve never seen around here since.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You cant figure it out without greed or hurting others.

You have to do harm, cheat to win.

Its a fake survival game that is monitoring who is willing to be a cheat to win...and then adding them to their "team"

Figure your happiness out without hurting or scamming others...or you are not intelligent.

Im not intelligent, I like all the ideas the World provides....but be honest about what I can get for my work. Dont scam me with Inflation, Stock Market.

If I am willing to work, dont scam me.

Intelligent think they are clever by scamming other, Real intelligence is providing winning a system without scamming others.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah that ‘89 team was probably the worst in our history. 1-15. But I do think it’s fair to say even though Jimmy fought hard to win every game, he was not upset to get the higher draft picks as a result of that 1-15 season.

If memory serves me, Jimmy churned that roster all season long, using the most in-season cuts and roster moves in team history. That may not be tanking but it was an aggressive rebuild like we’ve never seen around here since.
It wasn’t tanking. A new coach and new ownership is going to try to do everything to win immediately. They were rebuilding because they had to, not because they were tanking which means something totally different.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, he inherited a 3-13 team. Tough to say if it could have won more . But he intentionally didn’t play some of the players he traded Herschel for.

And trading his best player in mid season while a brilliant move was in effect tanking the season as well.

If I recall correctly Jimmy even admitted as much years later. The fact they improved to 7-9 the following season and earned Jimmy coach of the year honors would suggest that 1-15 team could have won a couple more games.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes, he inherited a 3-13 team. Tough to say if it could have won more . But he intentionally didn’t play some of the players he traded Herschel for.

And trading his best player in mid season while a brilliant move was in effect tanking the season as well.

If I recall correctly Jimmy even admitted as much years later. The fact they improved to 7-9 the following season and earned Jimmy coach of the year honors would suggest that 1-15 team could have won a couple more games.
You obviously dont know what tanking is.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

As i recall I believe he didnt play those Viking players in order to obtain the conditional draft picks that were attached to them if they were cut, traded or released......he wanted the draft picks not the players.......no one knew he was going to do that, they thought he'd keep the players......I believe Isaac Holt is only on that played in the 92SB.................. Jimmy was a shrewd man.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It’s not disengeous people want to lose to get better. I understand the logic behind it I just don’t agree. I’ve seen this team win 4 games and 5 and it never results in rebuilding.

15 wins in 3 years collectively and it resulted in no changes.

It yielded Bill Parcells who, despite not winning in the postseason while here, developed the squad that eventually became one of the best for the Cowboys since 1996. Jerry was still the GM, but lots of control was given to Bill and the coaching staff-most important of all Bill was the biggest voice/face for the franchise. He asked Darren Woodson into his office and asked him if he understood the “scorched earth” approach-Darren said “no.” Bill explained they were going to burn the existing culture to the ground, and start over.

High picks (top 5-10) can absolutely help transform a roster and team for the better. There are so many examples including recent successful teams that used multiple high pick drafts in order to transform their team. No team actually tanks because the players must give their full effort to merit keeping their job or finding one with another team. The front office can allow for a lengthy transformative period as long as they do not fear for their jobs (whereas most must make miracles happen within 3 seasons-which is absurd and why so many QB’s get drafted onto the wrong team and never get a real chance to develop).

Look no further than the 2016 draft-Dak was important but just as important was drafting Zeke and creating that great offense (still the best offense even had for all of Dak’s seasons IMO).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As i recall I believe he didnt play those Viking players in order to obtain the conditional draft picks that were attached to them if they were cut, traded or released......he wanted the draft picks not the players.......no one knew he was going to do that, they thought he'd keep the players......I believe Isaac Holt is only on that played in the 92SB.................. Jimmy was a shrewd man.
Right. It was a brilliant move looking ahead.
And Jimmy made the most of it.

But not playing your best available talent for whatever reason is in effect not making all effort to win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We tried a “Silver Lining “ thread on Dallas Cowboys.com forum . It was a total ghost town.

Most fans come on a fan forum to vent their frustrations and voice their concerns.

If this site was dependent on fans just coming here to cheer on their team and players it wouldn’t last long with no traffic or advertising to support. Without can’t survive.

There is several Cowboys FB pages which almost all info is positive and or upbeat reporting current events and history. Much more appealing to fans who don’t want to hear negative or critical narratives.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We tried a “Silver Lining “ thread on Dallas owboys.com forum . It was a total ghost town.

Most fans come on a fan forum to vent their frustrations and voice their concerns.

If this site was dependent on fans just coming here to cheer on their team and players it wouldn’t last long with no traffic or advertising to support. Without can’t survive.

There is several Cowboys FB page which are more upbeat almost all info is positive and or upbeat reporting current events and history. Much more appealing to fans who don’t want to hear negative or critical narratives.
IMG-0520.gif

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Winning was a low priority that season. The season was entirely about evaluation and roster building.

It's fascinating that I guarantee you Jimmy nor Jerry had any hope of winning even the division much less the SB so they would have been deemed as haters and quitters by you.