FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It yielded Bill Parcells who, despite not winning in the postseason while here, developed the squad that eventually became one of the best for the Cowboys since 1996. Jerry was still the GM, but lots of control was given to Bill and the coaching staff-most important of all Bill was the biggest voice/face for the franchise. He asked Darren Woodson into his office and asked him if he understood the “scorched earth” approach-Darren said “no.” Bill explained they were going to burn the existing culture to the ground, and start over.

High picks (top 5-10) can absolutely help transform a roster and team for the better. There are so many examples including recent successful teams that used multiple high pick drafts in order to transform their team. No team actually tanks because the players must give their full effort to merit keeping their job or finding one with another team. The front office can allow for a lengthy transformative period as long as they do not fear for their jobs (whereas most must make miracles happen within 3 seasons-which is absurd and why so many QB’s get drafted onto the wrong team and never get a real chance to develop).

Look no further than the 2016 draft-Dak was important but just as important was drafting Zeke and creating that great offense (still the best offense even had for all of Dak’s seasons IMO).
Parcels was about getting a new stadium than it did the 5 wins. It was a business opportunity.

The end result should’ve been Jerry stepping down. You guys are waiting for change. In order for the Lions to change it had to start at top. Cowboys won’t be ran efficiently until Jerry is gone. You can’t rebuild with him.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Parcels was about getting a new stadium than it did the 5 wins. It was a business opportunity.

The end result should’ve been Jerry stepping down. You guys are waiting for change. In order for the Lions to change it had to start at top. Cowboys won’t be ran efficiently until Jerry is gone. You can’t rebuild with him.

It was about both. The franchise was in a free fall, and desperately needed someone to rebuild some fan trust and optimism. They also wanted the new stadium. They were getting cut from nationally televised games. Even Jerry will eventually listen to bad news on the marketing side of the business ledger. They needed Parcells to help win more games.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Winning was a low priority that season. The season was entirely about evaluation and roster building.

It's fascinating that I guarantee you Jimmy nor Jerry had any hope of winning even the division much less the SB so they would have been deemed as haters and quitters by you.

“Remember men, no bastad ever won a war by dying for their country. They won it by making the other poor ******* die for his country.”

Didn’t Sam Houston have to retreat several times before going on the offensive? Didn’t Russia retreat to draw Hitler’s army far away from Germany, to make it easier to wear down and eventually defeat? Some wars are won by strategically not entering into a losing situation-by drawing up your full strength and deliver the crushing blow.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was about both. The franchise was in a free fall, and desperately needed someone to rebuild some fan trust and optimism. They also wanted the new stadium. They were getting cut from nationally televised games. Even Jerry will eventually listen to bad news on the marketing side of the business ledger. They needed Parcells to help win more games.
And he stil meddled to the point Parcells wanted to leave lol. Nothing changed. Jerry wanted you to touch it changed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Garrett years were worse. At least in the Campo years I didn't expect anything. They didn't last that long either. Since then all we have had is empty promises and big choke jobs. We won a few NFCE titles that nobody remembers. That's about it.
No I can’t say that. At least we had Romo to watch and others. I was a huge Barber fan.

Campo years were pathetic. We at least had a shot with Romo.

Blitzen

Reaction score
And he stil meddled to the point Parcells wanted to leave lol. Nothing changed. Jerry wanted you to touch it changed.

It was changed while he was here. I already know that Jerry is meddlesome. Parcells has already said he was done-not enough energy. Dallas was his 4th franchise rebuild, and he never coached again.

I think Jerry’s problem also comes into play when he learns a little. He thinks he’s learned more than he has. Since 2012, the team is at least more concerned about the line of scrimmage. A small step in the direction of progress. He may never actually relinquish the GM title while alive though.

ArtClink

Reaction score
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Great post Hazey! Your posts are always well written, well thought out, and always insightful. Thank you for that!

coult44

Reaction score
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Yessir

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was changed while he was here. I already know that Jerry is meddlesome. Parcells has already said he was done-not enough energy. Dallas was his 4th franchise rebuild, and he never coached again.

I think Jerry’s problem also comes into play when he learns a little. He thinks he’s learned more than he has. Since 2012, the team is at least more concerned about the line of scrimmage. A small step in the direction of progress. He may never actually relinquish the GM title while alive though.
I have more of an issue with how he runs the team and undermines his coaches than I do his personnel decisions. You can’t run a team like this and win. It hasn’t been proven.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Regardless the amount of revenue we take in we aren’t allowed to spend anymore on players. All NFL teams have the same Cap to spend .

I hope what you’re referring to is our owners priorities aren’t necessarily motivated by winning championship but rather generating revenue.

Which he’s admitted that remaining “ interesting and relative “ is the primary or initial priority. Which I think most teams are. Our owner is just more open publicly about it.
The cap can be manipulated and money can be spent to strengthen obvious area of weakness. Does Dallas do that regularly?

Contenders spend where necessary and still follow a business plan. Dallas will not teeter the the annual budget to make a run.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Did you ever think we ever had a shot in those Campo years though?
No not really. I didn't expect much though. The sb years weren't too far gone at that time. I knew we had to have a rebuild. I wasn't as much a cynic then. It was after Parcells left and I saw who Jerry picked as his next hc that I realized that Jerry wasn't that interested in winning titles. And it's been more of the same ever since.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The cap can be manipulated and money can be spent to strengthen obvious area of weakness. Does Dallas do that regularly?

Contenders spend where necessary and still follow a business plan. Dallas will not teeter the the annual budget to make a run.
I’m not saying we manage the Cap well or even utilize it to address our weaknesses. I’m just saying the NFL requires us to use most of it.
  • While the NFL has a salary cap, it also has a salary floor, so teams cannot hold onto money perpetually. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No not really. I didn't expect much though. The sb years weren't too far gone at that time. I knew we had to have a rebuild. I wasn't as much a cynic then. It was after Parcells left and I saw who Jerry picked as his next hc that I realized that Jerry wasn't that interested in winning titles. And it's been more of the same ever since.
I think McCarthy was a step in the right direction but essentially the same premise. A guy that wouldn’t undermine him. Just can’t change until at top changed….

tunahelper

Reaction score
I’m not saying we manage the Cap well or even utilize it to address our weaknesses. I’m just saying the NFL requires us to use most of it.
  • While the NFL has a salary cap, it also has a salary floor, so teams cannot hold onto money perpetually. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap.
Understood. There is managing the cap and it can be manipulated. Then there is spending on moves that carry more risk but fill in roster gaps. This area is typically an overspend and Dallas does not do it. My point is Dallas prefers steady budgeting with less risk. I believe the costs of the new stadium has forced Jerry to value steady revenue with a balanced budget more than risk taking on costly talent even if we cannot compete for titles.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I thought we had a shot with Romo in his first few years. I quickly lost hope with that. One failure after another.
The "make North Dallas Forty come true" fumbled chip shot FG hold was the end of Romo. It just took several seasons for the rest of the world to realize that. All he did was keep metaphorically fumbling that snap for the rest of his career.