Beebe's teammate speaks on him switching to center

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm being guarded about expressing my excitement for Cooper BeeBe. It won't be easy playing Center, especially since this is totally new to him, but it's good to hear how he would practice it at times in practice while at K-State last year. Plus, with him now working at it with Duke Manyweather, oh yeah, that definitely helps. Still, it won't be the same until he gets to camp. My biggest hesitation is not Cooper BeeBe. It's his Oline coach, Mike Solari. Hope Coach Solari is able to coach up Beebe into a very good Center.
Let's take a quick stroll down memory lane. Remember this recent sub-convo?

A little surprised he did not mention anything about Beebe playing center.......

Beebe has strong position flexibility. I would think McClay does not want his words to publicly pigeonhole him into a single position.

Notice the fellow member I replied to typed the word 'center' while I did not state any specific position. Only The Force knows why he didn't get questioned for actually typing the word 'center'. Nonetheless, your unexpected reply to me was:

Careful. Beebe has never played Center. It's not as easy as taking snaps with a football at Duke Manyweather's Sports Academy across from The Star.
Suddenly, I found myself crossing a minefield from out of the blue. Careful DE. You never said Beebe played center and somehow Duke Manyweather's Sports Academy got thrown in for kicks. One bad step... KABOOM! One less moderator.

Meanwhile, back on the thread, another member replied to your comment to me with:

Beebe played over 500 snaps at center during Kansas St practices.
I started chewing on fingernails. What will happen next? The suspense was killing me. KABOOM! Wait. No kaboom. Rather you replied:

Got a link to back that up?
Of course, my first question to myself was, "What about the Sports Academy???" Anyhoo, now another member has some knowledge you do not have BUT they must prove to you what you never had a clue about in the first place. Our fellow member complied with your question though by posting a video (link) and you thanked him.

Now, I look back at that sub-discussion and it leaves me with a couple of questions...

You never mentioned or inferred before that your 'a little' concern was motivated according to how Mike Solari would coach Beebe. I got 'Beebe never played center'. For some reason, another member was asked to produce information they already knew about Beebe at Kansas State (supposedly googling is hard :( ). None of that had anything to do with Solari either.

So, wasn't your 'a little' concern really about Beebe playing center for Dallas, since the only thing you knew about Beebe was that he played guard at Kansas State? And wouldn't you agree 'a little' is a stretch..?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
History

John Fitzgerald, Cowboys center in the 70’s, play offensive and defensive T at Boston College. Dallas started him at DT, then backup guard. When he transitioned to C, he became our starter as Landry was transitioning to the shotgun. He took great pride in making the 7 yard snap without looking.

Tom Rafferty was recruited to Penn State as DT, but Paterno moved him to OL and he played T and a little guard. With the Cowboys, he backed up Blaine Nye for one year before becoming the starting guard, but he transitioned to C, where he started for most of the 80’s.

Mark Stepnoski, C of the 90’s, played guard at Pittsburg and was a consensus all American his senior season as a guard. He transitioned to C his rookie year.

Andre Gurode played guard at first at Colorado, but he transitioned to center his senior year and was dominant. He was the first rookie C to start day 1 in Dallas, but they actually tried to convert him back to guard, but he struggled with that transition….lol, so they left him at C.

Matt Lehr never played any position other than guard at VA Tech but Dallas drafted him to be the replacement for Stepnoski, but he didn’t last, not because he couldn’t play C, but because he was too small and too weak.

Phil Costa never played any position but guard at Maryland. He was signed as an undrafted free agent, transitioned to C and started camp as the 4th string C. He became Gurode’s backup, and when Gurode was injured and cut the next season, he became the starting Center, but he was really small and struggled with the big boys, which led the Cowboys to drafting Frederick.

Guards transition to Center all the time. If you have the mental part of the position, the transition is not difficult at all. You know what you don’t see often? Centers who are good enough to transition to guard!

Copper Beebee is a beast. Playing center will be easy for him if he can handle the line calls, and Dak and Zach can both help with that if needed at first.

Start Guyton and Beebee (unless Hoffman is actually better). Let them both learn on the fly, and I think the OL will be humming by mid-season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's take a quick stroll down memory lane. Remember this recent sub-convo?

Notice the fellow member I replied to typed the word 'center' while I did not state any specific position. Only The Force knows why he didn't get questioned for actually typing the word 'center'. Nonetheless, your unexpected reply to me was:

Suddenly, I found myself crossing a minefield from out of the blue. Careful DE. You never said Beebe played center and somehow Duke Manyweather's Sports Academy got thrown in for kicks. One bad step... KABOOM! One less moderator.

Meanwhile, back on the thread, another member replied to your comment to me with:

I started chewing on fingernails. What will happen next? The suspense was killing me. KABOOM! Wait. No kaboom. Rather you replied:

Of course, my first question to myself was, "What about the Sports Academy???" Anyhoo, now another member has some knowledge you do not have BUT they must prove to you what you never had a clue about in the first place. Our fellow member complied with your question though by posting a video (link) and you thanked him.

Now, I look back at that sub-discussion and it leaves me with a couple of questions...

You never mentioned or inferred before that your 'a little' concern was motivated according to how Mike Solari would coach Beebe. I got 'Beebe never played center'. For some reason, another member was asked to produce information they already knew about Beebe at Kansas State (supposedly googling is hard :( ). None of that had anything to do with Solari either.

So, wasn't your 'a little' concern really about Beebe playing center for Dallas, since the only thing you knew about Beebe was that he played guard at Kansas State? And wouldn't you agree 'a little' is a stretch..?
'A little' is not a stretch. It's actually a lot for the reasons below...

All of it doesn't matter much until you actually start playing the position during live games. Training is good but the experience comes from actually playing. That's why I'm a bit hesitant. Trust me, it's not easy playing Center, much less at a very good and consistent rate. One can thump their chest all they want because Cooper BeeBe has been practicing taking Center snaps in practice or training, but the real test will come live on the playing field. That's where one will find out if Beebe has what it takes to successfully become a good Center.

gtb1943

Reaction score
History

John Fitzgerald, Cowboys center in the 70’s, play offensive and defensive T at Boston College. Dallas started him at DT, then backup guard. When he transitioned to C, he became our starter as Landry was transitioning to the shotgun. He took great pride in making the 7 yard snap without looking.

Tom Rafferty was recruited to Penn State as DT, but Paterno moved him to OL and he played T and a little guard. With the Cowboys, he backed up Blaine Nye for one year before becoming the starting guard, but he transitioned to C, where he started for most of the 80’s.

Mark Stepnoski, C of the 90’s, played guard at Pittsburg and was a consensus all American his senior season as a guard. He transitioned to C his rookie year.

Andre Gurode played guard at first at Colorado, but he transitioned to center his senior year and was dominant. He was the first rookie C to start day 1 in Dallas, but they actually tried to convert him back to guard, but he struggled with that transition….lol, so they left him at C.

Matt Lehr never played any position other than guard at VA Tech but Dallas drafted him to be the replacement for Stepnoski, but he didn’t last, not because he couldn’t play C, but because he was too small and too weak.

Phil Costa never played any position but guard at Maryland. He was signed as an undrafted free agent, transitioned to C and started camp as the 4th string C. He became Gurode’s backup, and when Gurode was injured and cut the next season, he became the starting Center, but he was really small and struggled with the big boys, which led the Cowboys to drafting Frederick.

Guards transition to Center all the time. If you have the mental part of the position, the transition is not difficult at all. You know what you don’t see often? Centers who are good enough to transition to guard!

Copper Beebee is a beast. Playing center will be easy for him if he can handle the line calls, and Dak and Zach can both help with that if needed at first.

Start Guyton and Beebee (unless Hoffman is actually better). Let them both learn on the fly, and I think the OL will be humming by mid-season.
making the line calls and snapping the ball are the two unique parts of a center. Though I have heard of some cases where a guard would make the line call but I think that is rare
Supposedly he has practiced snapping the ball. Has he ever practiced making line calls? HE has apparently never done either in a game
so it is a stretch to say he will come right in and dominate. he certainly has the POTENTIAL to do so. But will he?
I happen to like the pick; I would have preferred a player who had actually played Center but I will take what I can get after suffering Biadasz who certainly put in the effort but could not get it done
Hoffman should NOT be the starting Center; what he has shown so far was only that he can pretty much hold his own against dregs
and by the way we really do not know if the Boys intend him to be the center or not. Has anyone made a statement on that
I think anyone that expects him to come in and play like a veteran pro is blind deaf and dumb
We might have to suffer this year while he learns on the job.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of it doesn't matter much until you actually start playing the position during live games. Training is good but the experience comes from actually playing. That's why I'm a bit hesitant. Trust me, it's not easy playing Center, much less at a very good and consistent rate. One can thump their chest all they want because Cooper BeeBe has been practicing taking Center snaps in practice or training, but the real test will come live on the playing field. That's where one will find out if Beebe has what it takes to successfully become a good Center.
I played center back in the day, so I will do my own amateur assessment. Any apprehension is irrelevant at this point in time. It would be more prudent to wait-and-see what cannot be conceived now instead of jumping the gun because of limitations put on a player that they may not have.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I played center back in the day, so I will do my own amateur assessment. Any apprehension is irrelevant at this point in time. It would be more prudent to wait-and-see what cannot be conceived now instead of jumping the gun because of limitations put on a player that they may not have.
Hey, good to know you played Center. So did I. You know how hard playing the position can be.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, good to know you played Center. So did I. You know how hard playing the position can be.
Yeah. And I played as an undersized player. My blocking was better than adequate when I maintained technique. Otherwise, I got blown back into my quarterback whenever I had amnesia. The most important thing is that I did not have T-Rex arms.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
History

Line calls you do not have to worry about so much. He's got Zack next to him. Zack has always been active in the line calls.

Beebe has been training at C all off-season at a local OL academy. That was his projected spot on any team.

And the whole transition thing is a bit overblown. Half the interior linemen in the NFL were tackles in college. Just about every center coming out of college never started out there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Line calls you do not have to worry about so much. He's got Zack next to him. Zack has always been active in the line calls.

Beebe has been training at C all off-season at a local OL academy. That was his projected spot on any team.

And the whole transition thing is a bit overblown. Half the interior linemen in the NFL were tackles in college. Just about every center coming out of college never started out there.
:hammer:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
One of Cooper Beebe's Kansas State teammates, K. T. Leveston, said Beebe practiced a lot at center?

That is astounding when taking into account one CowboysZone member never heard of such a thing and a fellow member was asked to prove it.

I wish Leveston joined CowboysZone. That would be fun. :(
Leveston was drafted in the 7th round by the Rams. I doubt he would ever join CZ.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
astounding that this did not come out before some people think he walks on water
Agreed. I liked our draft at the time, but since I've had more time to investigate further, I like it even more! Our OL is going to be fun to watch! Guyton and Beebe are gonna be an exciting addition to an OL that really needed help. Between that plus the other additions we're adding, I think we're going to see some good football played this fall.
No that doesn't mean SB by any stretch of the imagination with a team with so many rooks, but it's going to be a better team than I was expecting earlier in this crazy off season, and they'll get better as the year progresses.
Pre-draft I wasn't looking forward to this season at all, but that bleak outlook has changed to an optimistic one. Yeah I know we still have the same FO as before, but that doesn't mean we can't play some good football this year.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Can't wait to see how he handles these NFL DTs.
Hey, Beebe says he likes to "dirt people"! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Now THAT"S what I call attitude! I can see right now I'm gonna like this guy!
And he's gonna be playing with Tyler Smith on his left and Zack Martin on his right?? :grin::grin:

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
History

Costa was injured. Ankle.

He was actually playing well.

Cost him his career.