Beebe's teammate speaks on him switching to center

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We tried Conner Williams out at Center once & he had a lot of problems with it. He wasn't still a rookie at that point. Now he seems to have figured it out, but the folks saying it isn't a gimme have a point.

I think Cooper has been working at Center reps for awhile, even if he never actually had any actual gameday experience at it. Hopefully he's ready because I think that's where they want him to play.
The difference is that the Cowboys never went all in on the Williams move to center. They just "looked" at him there for a very short time. Miami plugged him in at center day one from his signing.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Look forward to how this line shakes out. Nothing guaranteed right now at several positions and many ways they could do this. Just hope they make up their minds quickly so they can get a chance to build some rhythm together.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The difference is that the Cowboys never went all in on the Williams move to center. They just "looked" at him there for a very short time. Miami plugged him in at center day one from his signing.
or maybe it took him time to figure it out.

snapping is a mechanical thing that needs a lot of repetitions to get it right and reliable. That takes some time.
The line calls is also something that no one is going to get quickly; he has never done that before from all evidence which is not a surprise
The smart move would have Martin make the line calls until Cooper is ready; let him just concentrate on the mechanical part of being center.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah -- tell me things that I didn't already know . . . :rolleyes: Those are things that even casual fans are aware of. Good Lord . . . :facepalm:
And yet your response was such that you act like this was a Jerry Jones issue like this is something new to the NFL something that he won't change because you had to get your narrative to get another shot at Jerry Jones that is what you do that is what a lot of you do you like to just pile it on even though most of the NFL does business like Jerry Jones and that's exactly a fact you're very few teams with an all in high risk blueprint to build their teams most of them do it the same way Jerry does including some of the last Super Bowl dynasties and I'm not saying he's on that level but I get tired of the nonsense so yeah I'm gonna respond because of what you said and how you said it you made it appear like they did something different than nobody else does I know most casual fans don't bother coming in places like this so they probably don't know...

I mean casual fans on around the Internet still blame Prescott and Romo for all our issues they think the last 30 years is their fault and that the quarterbacks are terrible and that the coaching is terrible they call our team average to below average including some of y'all who obviously can't do math because you can't be average if you're a top six team in the league so don't bring in casual fans in there because they don't really know anything but what they're spoon fed on the Internet some of us been following the Cowboys like their family since like me 1981... I used to have to get all my information from one sports channel and newspapers or wait on outdated crap to come in Sports Illustrated...

So I had to respond in kind because I feel your post was to make another knock on our team and our owner and GM and I'm not saying this man is some genius but all the hate is a little bit exaggerated and dramatic and that's why I had to respond so sorry your little response to my response isn't gonna quell my passion for my team and I stand by what I said you made it seem like Jerry and this team are the only people who do that.....

blueblood70

Reaction score
We tried Conner Williams out at Center once & he had a lot of problems with it. He wasn't still a rookie at that point. Now he seems to have figured it out, but the folks saying it isn't a gimme have a point.

I think Cooper has been working at Center reps for awhile, even if he never actually had any actual gameday experience at it. Hopefully he's ready because I think that's where they want him to play.
Yeah but that was only really in practice and it was a bunch of nonsense and you get a guy a chance you gotta let him get real snaps I remember and I don't think we gave up on him too soon he's another player that's basically average he's like TylerB both solid players that can get the job done but if you feel like you can do better you don't pay 6 to $8 million for average you go to the next guy and try it again.. That is what they're doing at center and they might even do it with Terrence Steele if he doesn't like fully come back from his injury they're not going to sit around and wait they've got a lot of options now they literally went all in on the offensive line lol I know they don't like to use that word around here but they seem to have so many options now both for starters and depth they'll get it fixed by game one and get a nice best five situation...

blueblood70

Reaction score

Now the difference is everybody they talked to teammates coaches and as well as the player himself have played actual center in their life they have all three enter offensive line positions he could play all of them everybody says he's gonna be the center and they're not gonna look back but there will be competition because Hoffman is coming for him you can tell this man's motivated and it's gonna be a fight in training camp but to say it's not a Gimme they're you're really not doing your research I know the NFL is not college but every response so far is this cable have no problem being the full time center when that will happen I don't know like I said there's gonna be a full on competition... But we did need a more nasty physical little bit larger framed center and now we have two guys to choose from it will be an upgrade I think no matter what I think that's the point we're missing I think that Tyler was a really good center but he was not special and he definitely lost a lot of battles against big dudes coming right at them weather is in pass or run and every time I saw hopping and bass inside it seemed like our run game was better... B is built like a tank he's not like tiring you know with all the muscles he's got that no neck lower center of gravity big butt I mean that is what we need IMHO...

speedkilz88

Reaction score

snapping is a mechanical thing that needs a lot of repetitions to get it right and reliable. That takes some time.
The line calls is also something that no one is going to get quickly; he has never done that before from all evidence which is not a surprise
The smart move would have Martin make the line calls until Cooper is ready; let him just concentrate on the mechanical part of being center.
Sounds like Cooper did make calls at Kansas St from the OG position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

It takes reps, and you can practice the mechanical aspects of snapping all day.
And if you plan on being a pro, you damn well should.

I remember there was a lot of noise about McGovern "having bad form snapping the ball".
Well fine. Fix it them. Take the reps in the offseason to get it done.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And yet your response was such that you act like this was a Jerry Jones issue like this is something new to the NFL something that he won't change because you had to get your narrative to get another shot at Jerry Jones that is what you do that is what a lot of you do you like to just pile it on even though most of the NFL does business like Jerry Jones and that's exactly a fact you're very few teams with an all in high risk blueprint to build their teams most of them do it the same way Jerry does including some of the last Super Bowl dynasties and I'm not saying he's on that level but I get tired of the nonsense so yeah I'm gonna respond because of what you said and how you said it you made it appear like they did something different than nobody else does I know most casual fans don't bother coming in places like this so they probably don't know...

I mean casual fans on around the Internet still blame Prescott and Romo for all our issues they think the last 30 years is their fault and that the quarterbacks are terrible and that the coaching is terrible they call our team average to below average including some of y'all who obviously can't do math because you can't be average if you're a top six team in the league so don't bring in casual fans in there because they don't really know anything but what they're spoon fed on the Internet some of us been following the Cowboys like their family since like me 1981... I used to have to get all my information from one sports channel and newspapers or wait on outdated crap to come in Sports Illustrated...

So I had to respond in kind because I feel your post was to make another knock on our team and our owner and GM and I'm not saying this man is some genius but all the hate is a little bit exaggerated and dramatic and that's why I had to respond so sorry your little response to my response isn't gonna quell my passion for my team and I stand by what I said you made it seem like Jerry and this team are the only people who do that.....
I made a two-lined comment that had nothing to do with Jerry Jones -- yet you somehow imagined the cockamamie idea that I did. Your hog-wild imagination is running amuck! The policy of having players that are capable of serving more than one function is one that I agree with entirely. How you managed to get the impression that I was falsely blaming Jerry for something that I like puzzles me to an extent that I cannot possibly imagine.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thank you for posting that AC. All the years of me watching him and dreaming he could be a Cowboy and it came true. If they can get the blocking scheme straightened out this year the running game will be vastly improved. Beebe is a true road grader and when he says he likes to put people in the dirt, he means it. He is a straight up beast.

PEOPLE'S PARENTS ARE WATCHING!!! :laugh:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My concern with Beebe’s short arms, the guy may end up just repeatedly hiking the ball into crotch by asking him to play center.

gtb1943

Reaction score
My concern with Beebe’s short arms, the guy may end up just repeatedly hiking the ball into crotch by asking him to play center.
Tyler Lindbaum's arms are shorter and he just made the Pro Bowl and deserved it
So this bit about arm length is rather inflated by those who proclaim their football knowledge but really know very little

gtb1943

Reaction score
Now I will say if Cooper was going to try for Tackle I would be really worried as their arm length averages almost 34 inches. Though there are exceptions
For guard and center the average is almost an inch and a half shorter.

Bagman

Reaction score
Welp, that would be peachy.......he does have a C body... if Dallas can have Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele, and Fergie ...as your starting line....that would be a go. w/ backups Bass, Hoffman, Thomas, Richards wherever is best. and Spann-Ford, Stephens, Hendershot TE backups. That's a good start to a rebuild on the OL.

and yes, Ball and Waletzko can either go kick rocks, or get themselves a map from Canada.
There's no way they are leaving Schoonmaker out of the mix. Besides, he's a damn good blocker.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Welp, that would be peachy.......he does have a C body... if Dallas can have Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele, and Fergie ...as your starting line....that would be a go. w/ backups Bass, Hoffman, Thomas, Richards wherever is best. and Spann-Ford, Stephens, Hendershot TE backups. That's a good start to a rebuild on the OL.

and yes, Ball and Waletzko can either go kick rocks, or get themselves a map from Canada.
You left Schoonmaker off your list