Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

Plankton

Reaction score
To me, the funniest thing during the pressers was the scrolling sponsorship LED panel behind Belichick and Brady. One of the sponsors was Gillette, hawking one of their razors:

#FLEXBALL

Well played.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Someone is guilty in the organization....and by default, I suppose the already known cheater, Belichick, is too.
But I actually don't think he was involved in this one.
I won't hold a grudge if you wish to call me naïve.
:starspin:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If it's against the rules, it's against the rules. However, that's different than saying they gain some sort of advantage. If they did, it was minimal, and this is what most of the players and coaches I've heard speak on the issue have said.

Being able to have a better grip on the ball can be a big advantage especially in poor conditions, enough so that they were willing to break the rules to do it. If you gained nothing in doing it then why violate the rule to begin with?

Deep_South

Reaction score
It sounds to me like Bill and Tom are telling the truth. What happened remains a mystery yet to be solved.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Being able to have a better grip on the ball can be a big advantage especially in poor conditions, enough so that they were willing to break the rules to do it. If you gained nothing in doing it then why violate the rule to begin with?

There's a difference between minimal and nothing.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Spygate and deflating footballs are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

And there is the biggest issue of all. What else have they done and gotten away with and what else will they do next?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It sounds to me like Bill and Tom are telling the truth. What happened remains a mystery yet to be solved.

I believe Bill may be telling the truth. I don't think Brady is. Again, he touches the football, and based on what other NFL quarterbacks have said, the quarterback is more in control of the process than the coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There's a difference between minimal and nothing.

And yet it is black and white when it comes to the rules. The rules pertaining to the ball is very detailed yet simple to follow. So a team is willing to violate a rule to gain a minimal advantage? That is still called cheating.
We can go to the dictionary and get what the definition of cheating is “Cheating" act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
To me, the funniest thing during the pressers was the scrolling sponsorship LED panel behind Belichick and Brady. One of the sponsors was Gillette, hawking one of their razors:

#FLEXBALL

Well played.

I saw that too. Deflating the balls had to be premeditated, there was already a marketing plan in place!

#FLEXBALL

:laugh:

MagicMan

Reaction score
Got no dog in this fight......so looking at this objectively, it is obviously wrong to take ANY measures in getting an upper hand on the opponent, and especially if it is against the rules outlined. If the ball is 2 lbs PSI less than required, that is a big problem. For Belichek or Brady to plead ignorance is an insult to our intelligence. ESPECIALLY Brady----any NFL QB can take a ball in his hands and tell you if it is underinflated.

For those saying the advantage is minimal, so let's forget about it........hey you can't be slightly pregnant.......its either cheating or not. Pats will not learn until they get #1 pick taken away for this infraction. Then let's see them try something else again. Ignorance didn't help Sean Payton did it.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Brady has been on record saying he likes the football more deflated.

So he obviously notices a difference between a "normal" ball and a deflated one.

Yet he wants us to believe these footballs were deflated without his consent, and even more preposterous, without even noticing while he used them.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the patriots and tom brady and bill bellicheat will do any thing to win anther superbowl. This goes to the integrity of the game if this gets sweept under the rug the nfl will suffer. Its already hard game to watch to think that maybe teams are able to cheat or winners are predetermined will greatly harm the game.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
And yet it is black and white when it comes to the rules. The rules pertaining to the ball is very detailed yet simple to follow. So a team is willing to violate a rule to gain a minimal advantage? That is still called cheating.
We can go to the dictionary and get what the definition of cheating is “Cheating" act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Curious to see what kind of penalty they receive. The NFL is really weird about some of the penalties they levy for some offenses. I know the rules state $25k, but if the NFL was prepared to kick Marshawn Lynch out of the game for gold cleats, the Patriots fine has to be more substantial than a monetary fine.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

So he obviously notices a difference between a "normal" ball and a deflated one.

Yet he wants us to believe these footballs were deflated without his consent, and even more preposterous, without even noticing while he used them.

Maybe he thought he hand grew?

tideh20heel

Reaction score
So if you were the comish, what, if any penalty would you hand out?

I don't know exactly what happened. I would first determine if the balls were correctly checked prior to the game. If a gauge was not used then that is obiviously a problem with the league's policy or the officials pre game routine. Quite frankly I suspect this has been going on unnoticed for years. I would probably administer a steep fine for the club and look at remedies so it doesn't happen again. If someone submitted the balls for inspection and then removed the air I would levy a lengthy suspension for those involved beginning next season. That would demonstrate a willful deception which would warrant a heavy penalty.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score

That doesn't seem probable does it?

I don't get the PC. That just made it worse for him.

Deep_South

Reaction score

That probably comes from a comment he made about Gronkowski spiking the ball so hard it deflates. It was taken out of context.