Best Guitar solo/song

cowboyec

Reaction score

june 1970.
nashville marathon sessions.
from the brilliant...Elvis Country album.

james burton's guitar work on this gem is as flawless as Elvis' vocals.
of all the songs they did together...this one is maybe my absolute favorite in how it features the best of both.

cowboyec

Reaction score

jerry reed.

from the same session.
maybe Elvis' most perfect recording.
all the elements come together thru jerry reed's pickin' and Elvis' performance.

Last edited:

pete026

Reaction score

Great minds think alike.
I was trying to come up with the best example to highlight the guy who started a brand new style of guitar. I think your's highlight his technique better but mine covers the Black Sabbath dark humor lol. I mean the guy takes off two tips of his fingers and they call the first part of the song "Bit of Finger".

RS12

Reaction score
I'd like to nominate two late members of the Florida guitar army, Billy Jones and Huey Thomasson of the Outlaws for their work in Green Grass and High Tides. Didnt get to see them live myself but wore out the bring it back alive album in 77. Many people I talked to said best band they ever saw live. Here is 20 minutes well spent:

RS12

Reaction score
Great minds think alike.
I was trying to come up with the best example to highlight the guy who started a brand new style of guitar. I think your's highlight his technique better but mine covers the Black Sabbath dark humor lol. I mean the guy takes off two tips of his fingers and they call the first part of the song "Bit of Finger".

IMO Tony Iommi is probably the most well known but least appreciated guitarist/ musicians of his era. His work on the the first album and Sabbath bloody Sabbath is genius. NIB all time fave.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Second nomination has to be this little gem right here, most underrated Zeppelin song of all time. This is a jaw dropping performance of both Page and Bonham.

I love this version also, but Jimmy is wasted beyond belief here. This video is more like, been there done that and i can do it very wasted while everyone else would just fall down. I would say this video/guitar is instinct and repetition not skill.

pete026

Reaction score
IMO Tony Iommi is probably the most well known but least appreciated guitarist/ musicians of his era. His work on the the first album and Sabbath bloody Sabbath is genius. NIB all time fave.
I was going to use NIB but with the intro "Bassically", I was saving it for another thread hint hint. Guitar in NIB is my favorite from Tony.

cowboyec

Reaction score

one of my favorites from my favorite skynyrd record.

the tempo reminds me of Elvis' 70s stage versions of his sun classic that's all right.

pete026

Reaction score
I'd like to nominate two late members of the Florida guitar army, Billy Jones and Huey Thomasson of the Outlaws for their work in Green Grass and High Tides. Didnt get to see them live myself but wore out the bring it back alive album in 77. Many people I talked to said best band they ever saw live. Here is 20 minutes well spent:

Saw them with Molly Hatchet at the New Haven coliseum. Hughie is quite the talent. The vocals are ehhhh but love the guitar towards the end of this song

cowboyec

Reaction score

hank garland playin' guitar on this classic.
one of Elvis' greatest recordings.
and in my opinion the best single featuring Elvis' vocals and hank's guitar play.

cowboyec

Reaction score

'68 comeback.
a legend...finds his way home.

he swaps with scotty moore on this classic.
no one can touch him.

this is why i'm a fan.
not just great vocals...he could play a lil.

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
It's all debatable. I consider Jimmy Page 1A, Eric Clapton 1B. I think Jimmy did it better but Eric stayed at the top of his game for a longer period of time. Greatest solo ever, not sure.

Those Earl Court shows were pretty good. There are tons of Zep bootlegs out there and some are amazing, how about this, a 45 minute version of Dazed and Confused.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Second nomination has to be this little gem right here, most underrated Zeppelin song of all time. This is a jaw dropping performance of both Page and Bonham.

Decent version but as far as Zep goes it was below average, Page is bone thin and you can tell his usage affected his playing. Some of the versions of Achilles Last Stand from the 77 tour were much better.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Another trio or quartet of guitarist that don't get the individual appreciation they deserve:

Allen Collins - original member with real talent but a life of tragedies, one after another.
Gary Rossington - talented original but one of the only surviving members. Whisky bottles, brand new cars, oak tree got in my way was his story.
Ed King/Stevie Gaines - Ed kept the group on track early on. Stevie replaced Ed and was an unbelievable talent on guitar. Lost in the plane accident along with his sister Cassie (backup vocalist). Huge lose along with Van Zant.

Steve Gaines is from right up the highway in Miami Oklahoma.
Ed King if memory serves correct wrote "Incense and Peppermints" while he was in Strawberry Alarm Clark. Gary Rossington and Artimus Pyle are the only members still alive.