Best Guitar solo/song

jsb357

Reaction score
The case for 1:42

Stuffed between the screams of “Running with the Devil” and an amazing hard cover of the Kinks “You Really Got Me”,
is the one minute and forty-two second track broken down into two stanzas that like it or not, redefined rock guitar
for generations to come.

After the music world was exposed to this less that two minute performance, it set the bar for guitar players for decades.

Personally I discovered this album and the masterpiece within during the summer of 1979. To this day over 40 years later
I pause when I hear it to appreciate the now passed genius and his body of work that came to life in a studio in 1977
and changed rock music forever.

Today you can find some great covers of this piece on Youtube, some even played by children however, the original composer
of this ground breaking masterpiece, a classically trained pianist, an immigrant, growing up in the middle of the 70’s southern
California rock scene that started on drums and eventually swapped with his brother for guitar, got a break and etched into
granite his one minute and forty-two second pass to greatness.

Like other guitarist I have made attempts to replicate said perfection. Lacking the technical ability, phrasing, and timing to
do so I eventually gave in and resigned myself to an “inspired by” tribute rather than a note by note copy as someone
without “the gift” should never venture onto such hallowed ground.

In closing I present to you…

Track 2 from Van Halen I
Eruption 1:42

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The case for 1:42

Stuffed between the screams of “Running with the Devil” and an amazing hard cover of the Kinks “You Really Got Me”,
is the one minute and forty-two second track broken down into two stanzas that like it or not, redefined rock guitar
for generations to come.

After the music world was exposed to this less that two minute performance, it set the bar for guitar players for decades.

Personally I discovered this album and the masterpiece within during the summer of 1979. To this day over 40 years later
I pause when I hear it to appreciate the now passed genius and his body of work that came to life in a studio in 1977
and changed rock music forever.

Today you can find some great covers of this piece on Youtube, some even played by children however, the original composer
of this ground breaking masterpiece, a classically trained pianist, an immigrant, growing up in the middle of the 70’s southern
California rock scene that started on drums and eventually swapped with his brother for guitar, got a break and etched into
granite his one minute and forty-two second pass to greatness.

Like other guitarist I have made attempts to replicate said perfection. Lacking the technical ability, phrasing, and timing to
do so I eventually gave in and resigned myself to an “inspired by” tribute rather than a note by note copy as someone
without “the gift” should never venture onto such hallowed ground.

In closing I present to you…

Track 2 from Van Halen I
Eruption 1:42

A friend brought this to school, had to be around December 78. He said man you gotta check this out. My mind was blown, not just with Eruption but the whole album. The attitude, Roth's swagger as well as Edward's playing which at the time was totally unique{still is to this day}.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of those that left us far too young at 25. He is one of those that I would have liked to see where he was taking the music because he wasn't just an amazing guitar talent but a terrific songwriter.

Plankton

Reaction score
Carlos Santana is my favorite musician. Here are a couple of solos that I really dig that aren't particularly mainstream.

Starts at 2:41

Entire song. Very melodic, soulful playing:

Skullmiester

Reaction score
Jimmy Page's guitar solo on the studio version of Stairway to Heaven is perfection, sheer perfection. The greatest guitar solo on the greatest rock song ever. Dramatic, mysterious, soaring, anguished, the descriptions just go on and on.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Jimmy Page's guitar solo on the studio version of Stairway to Heaven is perfection, sheer perfection. The greatest guitar solo on the greatest rock song ever. Dramatic, mysterious, soaring, anguished, the descriptions just go on and on.
Heartbreaker solos are probably better. Especially in a live setting. The thing about his solos is they were very emotional and very at that time and you can't really duplicate them.

RS12

Reaction score
My favorite cover of an amazing piece by Hendrix. The brilliance in SRV's play is special. If you listen closely to this track from a decent audio source you can hear Stevie's amp buzz in the background.

Of course, Hendrix' version is golden.

Jimi, Eric, or SRV? I dont wanna choose. Love em all.

pete026

Reaction score
Mr. Terry Kath

I was 14 when I was listening this in 1970. Goes well with 14 year old hormones... :)

Came across this video last week and had to revive this old thread. Still setting up the drums but Terry can't wait to get going; fingering is crazy good!!!

ESisback

Reaction score
Picking one, or even a handful is too difficult for me, so I focus on players. My faves vary, too. I love David Gilmore, Skunk Baxter, JR Cobb, as well as Van Halen, Page, Hendrix, Iommi, Ace Frehley and DeLeo from STP. Also gimme Joe Perry, Alex Lifeson, Uncle Ted, SRV, Steve Morse, Beck and Satriani, just to name a few.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
How about some of the overlooked "non-famous" guitarists? There's guys who are better than most of the guys listed here but they aren't famous because reasons.

Big_D

Reaction score

New song from Extreme and Nuno Bettencourt's solo is great on this track. Definitely and underrated guitar player.