Best Guitar solo/song

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Yep, saw VH about a dozen times starting in 1979, amazing live act and watching and listening to Ed play was a real treat. Those first 6 albums with Dave were great, not a fan of the stuff with Sam at all.
What can i say about Rush that hasn't been said before. Saw them several times starting with the Permanent Waves and ending with the R40 tour opening night in Tulsa. Amazing band live and in the studio, really wish i was a bit older so i could have seen the Hemispheres tour as i have heard it is among their best. They are easily in my top 3 of all time. And you are right, all three are talented beyond belief.
When you get a good block of time give this a listen, you can thank me later.

I'm astonished about the dozen times seeing VH. Does that mean you saw them on the debut album tour? I'm jealous. I only got to see them once with Dave.

I worked with a guy who saw Rush on the 2112 tour. Really jealous about that one. First tour I saw was I believe Power Windows. I would have seen them sooner but they used to skip Austin for some reason.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I'm astonished about the dozen times seeing VH. Does that mean you saw them on the debut album tour? I'm jealous. I only got to see them once with Dave.

I worked with a guy who saw Rush on the 2112 tour. Really jealous about that one. First tour I saw was I believe Power Windows. I would have seen them sooner but they used to skip Austin for some reason.

That would have been a real treat seeing them on the 2112 tour. I am jealous too....
No, first time i saw them was July/1979. Their first world tour was 1978 opening for Journey, Montrose or Black Sabbath. The 79 tour was in support of their second album. I read their managers book{Noel Monk}and am friends with the him on FB. He told me after that first world tour in 1978 after all the expenses they owed the record company money. His also said the average pay for a opening slot on the 78 tour was around 800$ a night.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That would have been a real treat seeing them on the 2112 tour. I am jealous too....
No, first time i saw them was July/1979. Their first world tour was 1978 opening for Journey, Montrose or Black Sabbath. The 79 tour was in support of their second album. I read their managers book{Noel Monk}and am friends with the him on FB. He told me after that first world tour in 1978 after all the expenses they owed the record company money. His also said the average pay for a opening slot on the 78 tour was around 800$ a night.
Wow on those figures. Doesn't surprise me though because the music biz has always been exploitive. Kind of like another I'm familiar with. I really like VH2 so still a great show to see. Still jealous. I think the one I saw was Women and Children First. Maybe Diver Down but it's been a long time.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Wow on those figures. Doesn't surprise me though because the music biz has always been exploitive. Kind of like another I'm familiar with. I really like VH2 so still a great show to see. Still jealous. I think the one I saw was Women and Children First. Maybe Diver Down but it's been a long time.

And after expenses and paying the crew etc i bet each member made only around 150 or so per night. Ya the WDFA tour was 1980, Fair Warning was 81, Diver Down in 82 and the 1984 tour was in 84. David Lee Roth mentions it in his book. The boys had to learn when they trashed a hotel room or ate at an expensive steak house it was coming out of their own pockets lol.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
And after expenses and paying the crew etc i bet each member made only around 150 or so per night. Ya the WDFA tour was 1980, Fair Warning was 81, Diver Down in 82 and the 1984 tour was in 84. David Lee Roth mentions it in his book. The boys had to learn when they trashed a hotel room or ate at an expensive steak house it was coming out of their own pockets lol.
Crazy to think of that kind of payday for a band as talented as they were and the effort they put into their shows. I'm 49 but had brothers who were older and took me to these kind of concerts. I was 9 when I went to my first rock concert. I'll always appreciate them for exposing me to this kind of music.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
One of the greatest guitar songs ever. George Clinton told Eddie Hazel, "I told him to play like his mother had died, to picture that day, what he would feel, how he would make sense of his life, how he would take a measure of everything that was inside him." The song was recorded in one take...........

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
One of the greatest guitar songs ever. George Clinton told Eddie Hazel, "I told him to play like his mother had died, to picture that day, what he would feel, how he would make sense of his life, how he would take a measure of everything that was inside him." The song was recorded in one take...........

That is amazing. Eddie Hazel didn't get the publicity he should have and boy can he play.

pete026

Reaction score
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

Inside Looking Out. I was gonna post this song to recognize Mark Farner but the song takes a little while to get to the guitar solo. I used to crank the volume up when listening to it in my younger days. I try to be careful with my ears these days. I think I was playing this song at my parents house and the neighbor was mowing his lawn and asked me if I would turn down the music. A 70s gas lawnmower lmao.

Last edited:

pete026

Reaction score
Crazy to think of that kind of payday for a band as talented as they were and the effort they put into their shows. I'm 49 but had brothers who were older and took me to these kind of concerts. I was 9 when I went to my first rock concert. I'll always appreciate them for exposing me to this kind of music.
Yeah, musicians in those days did it for the love of music or in some cases, because they didn't have anything better to do. Tommy Iommi said something like this in an interview once; a person asked him what he did for work and he said I play guitar..... the response was "Oh, so you are outta work".
Grand Funk recorded their 1st three albums in under a year. Music company knew they had something hot and were going to squeeze every penny out of them.
I can't remember the exact number but Hendrix was doing multi set days, 6 days a week. He painted the walls, ceiling of his flat, black so he could "wind down" on his one day off.