Biggest FA acquisition for Dallas should be WR Travis Benjamin

gmoney112

Reaction score
I think it's Weddle, and a second-tier DL to replace Mincey. Weddle because we'll have two S out of contract after next season and no time to develop an option unless we take one in the first two picks. Mincey's replacement because we can't go into a draft with what we've got on the roster right now at DE.

I think we'd look at WR2, if the right one were there, but they always get overpaid. I think Forte makes sense here. I think Chase Daniels or Colt McCoy make sense. And I think we'd be interested in a premium player at CB or at DE if one were legitimately available, but that's unlikely to happen.

Beyond that, this team uses FA to plug holes and to sign our own. We focus on the draft. Hardy was an exceptional situation last year, and it's not likely to happen again. We'll just quietly cover our bases and focus on building a young depth if we can.

Say whaaa? You're my boy, Idgit, but you're crazy. I like you but you're crazy!

If Byron stays at safety, which I think is the plan, Weddle becomes a luxury. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but how many teams have two investments like that at safety?

If you find a guy you like, you can definitely get a safety in this draft after the first 2 rounds to play next to Byron.

It's just opportunity cost.

Unless of course Byron doesn't stay at safety and then that's a major possibility.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Say whaaa? You're my boy, Idgit, but you're crazy. I like you but you're crazy!

If Byron stays at safety, which I think is the plan, Weddle becomes a luxury. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but how many teams have two investments like that at safety?

If you find a guy you like, you can definitely get a safety in this draft after the first 2 rounds to play next to Byron.

It's just opportunity cost.

Unless of course Byron doesn't stay at safety and then that's a major possibility.

I'm not 100% I want to be your boy. What does that entail, exactly? I bring you margarita's out to the pool or something? Because I burn easily and tequila gives me gas.

To be clear, I don't think Weddle comes on a huge deal. Or at least, I think he signs a deal with a contender where he gets paid a relatively high salary each year, but I don't think he's going to come with a long-term commitment. If I'm wrong on that, I'm wrong on Weddle.

But anybody after 2nd round is a player we hope develops into a starter at some point. I don't really want to go into next season hoping that guy is going to come into his own, and I'd rather not be signing one VFA and losing two. I don't want Wilcox back at all, and Church is slow to begin with, so who knows what two more seasons would bring. I'd rather get in a guy we think covers us for two or three years now, and then draft that developmental guy you're talking about in the 4th or 5th and hope he pans out.

I'm with you that there's no chance Jones doesn't stay at safety.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He'd be my top target, probably. He seems like a player we'd like, actually. And we do practice with the Chargers every summer and seem to have connections with them.

Branden Oliver's another of their players I wish were available. Not that that has anything to do with anything, I just think of him whenever I think of the Chargers.

And I seem to remember some mention of the Cowboys having interest before Weddle signed his last contract with the Chargers. I don't know if that's still the case, but I think they have shown interest at one point.

LittleD

Reaction score
I want Lamar Miller and a mid level CB

You can want all you like but, he wants top dollar like Murray got last year. We don't have to pay
top dollar to get another backup RB to DMC. He will start out the year as the lead back until someone
beats him out. That's the Cowboy way don't you know?

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Since we are dreaming the back up qb from Denver.He may be the next great one, lets get out the bank for once and go all in.We owe Denver one for Ware.They are talking middle of the pack deal(Elway said it) lets, up the ante and see if they will let him go.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Travis Benjamin WR Cleveland FA
This is a true #2 WR that Dallas needs to open up this offense and make it elite.

You don't think our money would be better spent on the defensive line, corner, linebacker, or backup QB?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I would target Amukumara and Casey Hayward early hopefully signing either CB.

Don't want to go to the draft with both CB and DL as dire needs.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
After Ro and Mo, get Chris Long and Mincey cheap, bring back Durant. There is plenty of DL help in this draft. They also have to find a SS somewhere. Spend big at safety if they have too, they have gone far too long with scrubs playing both safety positions. I would also consider bringing in Sununu or whatever his name is from Cincy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I seem to remember some mention of the Cowboys having interest before Weddle signed his last contract with the Chargers. I don't know if that's still the case, but I think they have shown interest at one point.

It just seems like one of those deals that makes sense.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
They need to get dl

looking at the lists of FA, the only notible DEs are JPP and maybe Jason Jones (DET).

Inside, the pickings are slim: Knighton and ... ? draft may have more prospects at DT.

Improving the 2ndary may be easier and will help the pass rush; draft Jaylon Ramsey, sign Jenoris Jenkins, got OScan back (maybe Mo if its cheap); you can drop Jones to FS and now you have depth at both CB and S