Biggest FA acquisition for Dallas should be WR Travis Benjamin

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
the more I think about it, the more jpp makes sense, in my mind at least.

That's assuming he will get paid reasonably low for obvious reasons.

After I made my post about how the Cowboys should acquire jpp (it was Ryan clarks opinion/suggestion on NFL live if I remember correctly) it took me a while to come around to it. Regardless of how stupid he is for his accident he still produced a lot of pressure and disrupted the pocket, which is something we desperately need regardless if he is playing with 1 hand. We don't care how smart he is, we are not paying him for that.

I believe this would be the better time then any because it appears there is a lot of mistrust with him and the Giants, not to mention his head coach is out too so he might be more inclined to leave.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
Think they like what Butler brings which is why I don't think they look at Benjamin. Adding that speed dimension to this offense can really be great. The same it would be with a Lamar Miller type player.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Mario Williams, at least one new DB, Hannah, and British Crawford. Maybe McClain.

Questfor6

Reaction score
1. Lamar Miller
2. Eric Weddle
3. Prince Amukamara
4. Anquan Boldin

plasticman

Reaction score
They have 15 mil a season tied up in Dez, the best couple free agents at each position are typically overpaid. I dont think it will be a WR.

I think they will pick up an older experienced QB

Junglist

Reaction score
I have a gut feeling that this coaching staff is perfectly happy with their #2 WR

I don't hate TWill, he makes some nice catches, but he needs to quit disappearing for games at a time. When Dez was out, he should have been able to step up more. He was probably our best WR in the playoffs in 2014. *sigh

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Haloti Ngata, Paul Soliai, Nick Fairley, Ahtya Rubin, BJ Raji, DaQuan Bowers...

Craig

Reaction score
I don't hate TWill, he makes some nice catches, but he needs to quit disappearing for games at a time. When Dez was out, he should have been able to step up more. He was probably our best WR in the playoffs in 2014. *sigh

The problem this year was that if he stepped up, he was out of the cowboys qb's range.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the more I think about it, the more jpp makes sense, in my mind at least.

I believe this would be the better time then any because it appears there is a lot of mistrust with him and the Giants, not to mention his head coach is out too so he might be more inclined to leave.

Watching the Giant free agents this year will be interesting with Coughlin gone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
In free agency, give me:

Janoris Jenkins or Prince Amukamara. Add Eric Weddle.

That adds both a veteran and solid CB and S.

I would then sign a veteran DT and DE.

DT Nick Fairley and Robert Ayers or Chris Long at DE.

That would provide an upgrade at CB, S, DT, and DE.

More would likely be the projected backup prior to the draft.

I would go into the draft looking for Wentz or Goff...and unless I were offered the moon and all mineral rights there, that would be my first pick.

If I traded down, then I would shoot for a true #2 WR and a top level RB with the first two picks...in either order.

My second 2nd and 3rd round picks would go straight for defense. I would get a very good defensive tackle, and either a quality linebacker or cornerback.

From there, I would draft a defensive heavy group...but target BPA.

Swanny

Reaction score
I do like him as a WR2 howver there are much bigger needs that should be filled in FA

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
I think it's Weddle, and a second-tier DL to replace Mincey. Weddle because we'll have two S out of contract after next season and no time to develop an option unless we take one in the first two picks. Mincey's replacement because we can't go into a draft with what we've got on the roster right now at DE. .

But signing Weddle would go against what Steven said about keep vets a year late versus letting them go a year early, that's my take on it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But signing Weddle would go against what Steven said about keep vets a year late versus letting them go a year early, that's my take on it.

Yeah, that's a risk at his age. NE has made a living off of the ends of careers of talented vets over the years. There are good deals to be had for those players, but you're right that the deals have to be structured pay-as-you-go and that you can't tie yourselves to a VFA at that age, for sure.

Kaiser

Reaction score
To be clear, I don't think Weddle comes on a huge deal. Or at least, I think he signs a deal with a contender where he gets paid a relatively high salary each year, but I don't think he's going to come with a long-term commitment. If I'm wrong on that, I'm wrong on Weddle.

I agree, plus if you look at the holes that need to be filled SS is one that should be filled in FA.

The holes to fill IMO are RB, QB2, WR, DE, 1 Tech, LB, CB and SS.

From those, you can get a starter at RB and 1 Tech in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Ramsey may be a freak of nature, but I still don't see using the 4th overall pick on a Safety. If he plays CB and is a perennial All Pro, sure. But at Safety it makes a lot more sense to overpay a guy like Weddle and use the top pick to get an elite player at a premium position or to trade down for filling multiple holes.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
After Ro and Mo, get Chris Long and Mincey cheap, bring back Durant. There is plenty of DL help in this draft. They also have to find a SS somewhere. Spend big at safety if they have too, they have gone far too long with scrubs playing both safety positions. I would also consider bringing in Sununu or whatever his name is from Cincy.

Yes to everyone mentioned above except Durant unless he replaces Claiborne as the official water-temperature tester in the training room hot tub.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
defense and defense and more defense we needs lots of help there. the cupboard is almost bare on that side of the ball.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have a gut feeling that this coaching staff is perfectly happy with their #2 WR

yep, and we have street too!!!!!

But I agree with the op, another hotshot WR might help, only thing is it would still be the same routes and offense, which makes it hard
for the passing game to be what it should be.

As a rule if dallas drafts a guy, they tend to stick with them as long as they are not super bad.
They are resigning claiborne ! lol and street is still here.
Just show up for meetings on time and wear the fight T shirts, be rkg
and you have a career with the cowboys !