Biggest FA acquisition for Dallas should be WR Travis Benjamin

DBOY3141

Reaction score
yep, and we have street too!!!!!

But I agree with the op, another hotshot WR might help, only thing is it would still be the same routes and offense, which makes it hard
for the passing game to be what it should be.

As a rule if dallas drafts a guy, they tend to stick with them as long as they are not super bad.
They are resigning claiborne ! lol and street is still here.
Just show up for meetings on time and wear the fight T shirts, be rkg
and you have a career with the cowboys !

you can even steal underwear and we will make you the #1 RB on the team.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
you can even steal underwear and we will make you the #1 RB on the team.

yes and he would probably still be on the team if he had taken the counseling they wanted him to take.
Randle messed up big time there.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
No one is really talking about Benjamin in this thread, just defense. I see the OP's point. When Dez went down last season, no other WR could step up. Getting Benjamin would give us a great 2nd WR that can move up to 1st WR if Dez were to go down again. Benjamin can take the top off the defense with his elite speed. Pair him with free agent RB Lamar Miller and the Cowboys would be done on offense. Then, they could focus on defense exclusively in the draft because it looks like the Rams shed all those big salaries to sign both of their elite CB's.

Eric Berry isn't going anywhere. I think it would be foolish to sign an aging Weddle to a giant contract when he only has a few years left in him. Olivier Vernon and Mario Williams will be too expensive. Garrett clearly is sick of Greg Hardy so I think they go DE and CB in the draft and resign Jack Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, and Morris Claiborne. Just my take.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
No one is really talking about Benjamin in this thread, just defense. I see the OP's point. When Dez went down last season, no other WR could step up. Getting Benjamin would give us a great 2nd WR that can move up to 1st WR if Dez were to go down again. Benjamin can take the top off the defense with his elite speed. Pair him with free agent RB Lamar Miller and the Cowboys would be done on offense. Then, they could focus on defense exclusively in the draft because it looks like the Rams shed all those big salaries to sign both of their elite CB's.

Eric Berry isn't going anywhere. I think it would be foolish to sign an aging Weddle to a giant contract when he only has a few years left in him. Olivier Vernon and Mario Williams will be too expensive. Garrett clearly is sick of Greg Hardy so I think they go DE and CB in the draft and resign Jack Crawford, Jeremy Mincey, and Morris Claiborne. Just my take.

Great job of summarizing the point. Benjamin is young affordable and his arrow is pointing up while being the perfect compliment to Dez.

The draft outside a possible QB will be focused on defense which is deep at DT DE and CB

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Garrett gets sick of talented players he is unable to control. So he takes the easy way out. Jimmy or Belichick FINDS A WAY to make use of talented players until they are of no use anymore. Garrett is completely incapable of doing this, runs into an obstacle and then goes crying to Jerry for a do over.

Neither Jimmy or Belichick would jettison TO or Hardy while they were in their primes. That is why Garrett is a perennial loser.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Benjamin would be a nice pickup, was a good WR even with that Shizzshow of a QB situation in Cleveland and the fact there was not really another option of note in the Cleveland passing game. With Bryant and Williams on the field he would get a lot of man coverage and with his speed could be a huge factor in the offense. He is smallish which is a concern but has played all 32 games the last two years.

I like the idea of using free agency for rebuilding the defense, at least one pass rusher, a LB(unless we resign McClain), a CB and a S. Idgit brought up two safeties are almost out of contracts but if we sign Weddle we would have him and Jones starting and probably would be looking at older vet for a spot and maybe a mid to late rounder for the other backup S and ST.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great job of summarizing the point. Benjamin is young affordable and his arrow is pointing up while being the perfect compliment to Dez.

The draft outside a possible QB will be focused on defense which is deep at DT DE and CB

I'm curious as to what you think is "affordable" and why you think that term applies to Benjamin?

RandyOh

Reaction score
It's not bigger if Dez or Witten go down again and Dallas can't get a 1st down....again.

At least we have good players at those positions. We have huge holes on the defense at the moment. Signing a future #2 wide out is not what needs to be at the top of the to do list.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I would like to have benjamin but I don't see dallas paying a wr 5-8 mil a year right now.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
After Dezs performance and bad luck last year. And I will be the first to admit , he had a lot going against him. But the fact remains; He got paid, and then disappeared. We are married to him now, and there were circumstances out of his control, so he gets a long leash. But having said that, I wouldn't mind upgrading #2, who shows signs of being a number 1. Instead of leaning towards a number 3. Which is what we have now.

Although Priority for me at this point is..

QB, RB DL. -- not necessarily in that order...

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
A lot of fans won't admit this but the Cowboys desperately need another reliable threat at WR. The Cowboys can't rely on Bryant to be healthy all 16 games for them to go above .500.

In other words, outside of the Oline, the Cowboys have a lot of holes to fill.

RandyOh

Reaction score
A lot of fans won't admit this but the Cowboys desperately need another reliable threat at WR. The Cowboys can't rely on Bryant to be healthy all 16 games for them to go above .500.

In other words, outside of the Oline, the Cowboys have a lot of holes to fill.

Dez is all of a sudden a player we can't trust to stay healthy anymore? Lord.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Dez is all of a sudden a player we can't trust to stay healthy anymore? Lord.

I think he is saying in order for us to be an above .500 team, we can't be basically made or broke off of Dez's health, and I agree.

If Dez were to get hurt, we need to still be able to win with other guys and not become a shell of ourselves on offense.