News: Bo + Austin = the end for Rod Smith?

Knotamus

Reaction score
I live deep down here on the Mississippi coast. I love watching College football, but have never latched onto any ONE team.. which is kinda an advantage bc I can just enjoy whatever game is highlighted that weekend. Where I live, there’s an influx of MS state, Ole Miss, LSU, Bama, Sountern MS, and even Florida, Tenn, and Georgia fans pretty much wherever you go. I guess you can say, I’m in the heart of the SEC.

That said, I’m not a huge Bama fan, simply bc they dominate teams and it dosent make watching most games entertaining. Bo Scarborough really never impressed me bc I always figured his success was directly related to Bamas dominating style and Sabin’s coaching prowless.

Either way, It’s hard to ignore the size and strength that he plays with.. he looked like a grown man playing HS players in college at times. I’m reserved ab giving him to much clout, but the other side of me is hoping his ‘hard nose’ style translates at the Pro level.

I understand why some are excited ab him. He’s a big man that loves contact and will be hard to bring down. Yea, Zeke is big too, but Bo brings a lunch pail style game with him. And to be as big as he is.. once he has an open field, he’s faster than most think. With our elite OL, this was a perfect landing spot for him. He has slight sudden moves that makes defenders miss, but he’s not going to shake anyone out of thier cleats(he might knock ‘em out tho). My biggest reservation is.. can he block we’ll enough? Can he play SP? And can he stay healthy?

These are all huge question marks that he’ll have to prove to maintain a NFL career. But if he can.. trust me..Zeke and Bo together will scare opponents.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't know if they would use a roster spot for a fullback, since we almost never use them... Sure seemed to work well back in the day with Moose though lol.

Michael, Alvin, Jay, Emmitt, Moose and Troy. I think it's safe to say we might be missing a few pieces right now. At the very least our QB hasn't taken many snaps with our current WRs. That remains an unknown.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
ok, if you really believe in a RB, and you drafted him in the 7th, its only one of two things, hes making the team or hes not. I would never PS a RB now a days because their shelf life is to short.

So, if this team brought him in, and its not just for a camp body, i think he should make the team, but in order to do that, someone has to go immediately.

Personally i wouldnt use Austin as a RB unless for the one time gadget play here or there.

I would line up Zeke, and Bo as the RBs, Oswale or whateer as the FB, and as much as i like Rod Smith, hes gone because Bo is coming in stronger and cheaper.

Lets go back to pushing defenses around.
We have carried 4 backs. Zeke, Bo, Rod and Austin. The problem will be do we also keep

3 QBs
6 Receivers
4 TEs
FB

Can't keep that many players at those positions so I agree someone has to go. Let them battle in camp and preseason and the best stay the others are gone. If that's Beasley, Rico or Rod then so be it. Someone can't stay healthy, next man takes his job

ShiningStar

Reaction score
We have carried 4 backs. Zeke, Bo, Rod and Austin. The problem will be do we also keep

3 QBs
6 Receivers
4 TEs
FB

Can't keep that many players at those positions so I agree someone has to go. Let them battle in camp and preseason and the best stay the others are gone. If that's Beasley, Rico or Rod then so be it. Someone can't stay healthy, next man takes his job

nope

2 Qbs
3 Tes
6 receivers

Mr_437

Reaction score
So y'all just gonna try to esch on Rod, huh?
For who? A 7th round pick who got his spot took n college. A scat back/slot who can't field punts, that came available for a 6th rounder. IMO y'all jumping th gun.

Rod Smith can catch, run, block an play STs. Smith has good vision, can make a man miss, leaps over low tackles, can make all th necessary cuts for a zone blocking play. Go back an watch his highlights or games.

Bo is a tough runner wit speed, but does Bo have vision n cuts? All I see are well blocked plays where he can run downhill. However, if you watch an actual game he doesn't have much make you miss. Bo is very straight line, he's not creating yards if th play isn't blocked right. Also, Bo hasn't proven anything on this level. I actually like Scarborough, but not at th expense of Rod.

Tavon doesn't excite me at all. He can't PR (can't catch em)...hope y'all like Beasely's return skills. Austin isn't a RB...don't belive th hype. Is he an adequate slot? Sean McVay didn't think so, placing a rookie n that spot. However, Tavon can be an excellent gadget guy.

I guess, players are JAGs if they haven't been able to prove themselves, Ezekiel Elliott would make 95% of NFL RBs JAGs if they were on a roster w/ him. A role player is not a JAG.

zerofill

Reaction score
This is the true factor on who will stay or go. Creating competition and/or position battles definitely makes a difference, but unfortunately.. injuries tend to sort out the bottom of the roster more often then not.o_O

Our history shows us that injuries leave us unprepared. I am sure hoping that is alleviated this year.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
There we have it folks, we have our unicorn for this season.
Copy! So whose more of the single horned rhinoceros?,,,on the one hand ,if this #45 rod smith is #54's brother, well I think thats an awesomely cool phenomena:thumbup:
Yet on the flip side of that very same hand, I'd of actually preferred to have seen #46 ALFRED MORRIS been given 50% of #45's totes last year,after verification that I witnessed
ZERO to write home about ,,,& on to that other hand ,,,do "Bo" really know?,,, that's kinda important as Although There might not have been much to write home about with #45,,,he was a solid protector of that ball when given the toucho_O

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The competition is not between Smith and Scarbrough. Smith can block, catch, run and play in the kicking game plus he can play FB too. He isn't going anywhere.

The competition is between Scarbrough, Jarwin, Olawale, Gathers, CRush, White, Thompson, Wilson, Brown, Edwards, Martin, and whoever else is fighting for spots 21-25 on the offensive roster.

waving monkey

Reaction score

3 QBs
6 Receivers
4 TEs
FB

well the offense normally gets 25 players of the 53 roster
so you listed 14 +3 special teams from 25 leaves 8. I hope they keep more then 8 on the OL but who knows

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I know we aren't keeping all the ones I listed, was just listing potential numbers

i understand, just out what you posted, id go a slimmer route on some out of those choices. Frankly the WR corp wont be as needed as this much, so lets stock up on Olineman. THey will set the offense and we need them healthy. More RBs, since they should be our engine. We dont really do much with Tes anyway, lets stop pretending. and enough number 2 type WRs for when the Run sets up the pass. Keep Dak to his strenghts, rolls, screens, enough to keep the defenses moving. Tire them out and let the Rbs pound on them. If Bo is good as advertised, use it.

Simple and effective and even Garrett shouldnt be able to screw that up.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Roster locks:

1. Dak
  2. QB2
  3. Zeke
  4. Smith
  5. RB3
  6. RB4/FB
  7. Beasley
  8. Gallup
  9. Hurns
  10. Austin
  11. WR5
  12. Smith
  13. Martin
  14. Fred
  15. LC
  16. Williams
  17. Fleming
  18. OL7
  19. OL8
  20. Swaim
  21. Schultz
  22. TE3

That leaves 3 slots for WR6, RB5, QB3, OL9, and TE3.

I easily see us only keeping 8 OL with Fleming, Looney, and one other. Going long at QB, WR, RB, or TE will be a fierce competition.