News: Bo + Austin = the end for Rod Smith?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Bo plays faster that his combine times. But also in most of those highlights his blocking is phenomenal, his short yardage runs he hits his own lineman first before being touched by the opposing defense. Alabama is just head and shoulders above other programs from a talent perspective.
Kinda like how #21 showcased his 'rookie' preseason talents in his rambunctious timing on hitting the LOS?, not allowing the formenting blocks to fully unfold,,, he'll pick up on that quick:starspin:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Kinda like how #21 showcased his 'rookie' preseason talents in his rambunctious timing on hitting the LOS?, not allowing the formenting blocks to fully unfold,,, he'll pick up on that quick:starspin:
Not what I was saying. Look at his short TD runs, his blocking is so good, he is running into the pile that is pretty much in the endzone and the first guy he contacts is not a defender but his blocker. Bo if healthy, and the line stays healthy, could have the stats a young Marion Barber had when Jones was the starter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m half kidding here but....there should be a forum rule that we fans are not allowed to hype any newly drafted player as the next team star before they have even faced NFL competition in a regular season game.

Rod Smith has earned whatever level of respect he has at this point by being a successful veteran NFL player who has shown to be a really good ST player as well as a viable backup RB. Bo Scarborough is a 7th round draft choice with potential who has not played a down of NFL regular season football.

Could he supplant Rod Smith? True answer is no one knows but as of yet, he has proven nothing.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m half kidding here but....there should be a forum rule that we fans are not allowed to hype any newly drafted player as the next team star before they have even faced NFL competition in a regular season game.

Rod Smith has earned whatever level of respect he has at this point by being a successful veteran NFL player who has shown to be a really good ST player as well as a viable backup RB. Bo Scarborough is a 7th round draft choice with potential who has not played a down of NFL regular season football.

Could he supplant Rod Smith? True answer is no one knows but as of yet, he has proven nothing.
Not to mention that Bo is extremely injury prone and runs way too upright. There's a reason that he never logged 20 carries in a game at Alabama. And it ain't cuz granny ferted!!!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Not what I was saying. Look at his short TD runs, his blocking is so good, he is running into the pile that is pretty much in the endzone and the first guy he contacts is not a defender but his blocker. Bo if healthy, and the line stays healthy, could have the stats a young Marion Barber had when Jones was the starter.
O.K.,,,I can COPY on what your laying down now,Thanks:thumbup:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to mention that Bo is extremely injury prone and runs way too upright. There's a reason that he never logged 20 carries in a game at Alabama. And it ain't cuz granny ferted!!!
Yeah...and there’s multiple reasons he was still available in round 7. A 7th round pick has a very tall hill to climb. Only 31% of 7th round NFL draft picks are still in the league after 3 years. Maybe Bo will be one of those 31%, but the odds are against him.

DiResta

Reaction score
Nothing against the guy, but yep... JAG.
he isnt a jag
if he were starting for a team i could see it
what Rod is is exactly what you want (realistically) a quality low cost backup who can do whatever you need and be a core ST guy
thats why he made Darius Jackson, then McFadden, and now Morris expendable

you dont want him to start (like Bo)
but if he needs to come in your offense doesnt change
that has value

ShiningStar

Reaction score
he isnt a jag
if he were starting for a team i could see it
what Rod is is exactly what you want (realistically) a quality low cost backup who can do whatever you need and be a core ST guy
thats why he made Darius Jackson, then McFadden, and now Morris expendable

you dont want him to start (like Bo)
but if he needs to come in your offense doesnt change
that has value

Looking for the value the player gives you. Not expecting everyone to be a starter, or that flash player.

Rod gives you the tough hard, he shows up to play, he works ST.

Agree across the boards.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He doesn't need to supplant Rod to make the roster.

3rd true back. Rookie 7th round pick.

Not needed on gameday, and safe to try to stash on the PS, as the entire league passed him up for 6 rounds.

I like Bo, but we have a lot of higher priority players to protect on the 53.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
3rd true back. Rookie 7th round pick.

Not needed on gameday, and safe to try to stash on the PS, as the entire league passed him up for 6 rounds.

I like Bo, but we have a lot of higher priority players to protect on the 53.

id rather carry him than PS. The team doesnt need to carry 3 qbs, and our strength should be our running game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I disagree. I think Bo maybe on the bubble. he is a 7th round pick. Rod Smith did well in spurts last year. he has the size and speed and a little wiggle. Bo is a bowling ball, straight ahead runner, without much wiggle. Rod played special teams, can Bo do that...effectively? critical for a 3rd string RB to play special teams. Austin, may play some RB, but he is the hybrid RB/WR. probably 3-4 touches as a RB in the game.....

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Bo won't make the team because of special teams. He is not a great runner either so I'm baffled at the love fest for the guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
id rather carry him than PS. The team doesnt need to carry 3 qbs, and our strength should be our running game.

QBs are more valuable. Cooper was too good to let go, and White is a 5th. Barring a collapse by either, both make the 53. Conceivably one or the other becomes trade bait, but they aren't getting cut.

Bo is simply this year's Darius the Great.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I disagree. I think Bo maybe on the bubble. he is a 7th round pick. Rod Smith did well in spurts last year. he has the size and speed and a little wiggle. Bo is a bowling ball, straight ahead runner, without much wiggle. Rod played special teams, can Bo do that...effectively? critical for a 3rd string RB to play special teams. Austin, may play some RB, but he is the hybrid RB/WR. probably 3-4 touches as a RB in the game.....
Good points bro

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin will be listed as a WR. We will keep Bo.

I don't know why people are so wrapped up in how he will be listed because it's not as if there is a requirement for how many WR's and RBs have to be listed on the roster. If we were to list him as a WR such that there were 6 WRs and 3 RB's shown on the roster, or if we were to list him as a RB such that there were 5 WRs and 4 RBs listed on the roster, it's still all the same. I'm not saying 9 is the hard number they will keep between the two positions, just saying that regardless of the overall number it doesn't matter how they list Austin.