1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Sturm Has Been Great To Listen To About McCarthy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackspider214, Jan 7, 2020.

1. BigD5

BigD5 Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    Would you happen to know if he is on any podcasts?

2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,976 Messages
    20,861 Likes Received
    He used to. Too many posters gave him a hard time. Haven't seen him post in a really long time. I think he just decided to move on. Can't blame him, our loss.

paladin and Gaede like this.
  3. Playmaker3128

Playmaker3128 Well-Known Member

1,585 Messages
    1,963 Likes Received
    I think we’re all assuming McCarthy is pass happy..... but ask yourself when he really had a rb like zeke? He had Aaron Jones for a year or two.... but Jones wasn’t what he is now.

mccarthys best rb may have been Eddie Lacey which is bad.

To be honest i wouldn’t be upset if we took more shots deep. Never understood why we don’t. I watched josh Mcown do it the other day and get two PI calls. It’s called taking risks.

4. Floatyworm

Floatyworm The Labeled One

12,578 Messages
    10,618 Likes Received
    The odds of a coach winning a Super Bowl....then winning another with a new team...are pretty low. Just saying. :rolleyes:

5. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

2,997 Messages
    3,324 Likes Received
    Mike Lombardi was just on in ny on the fan. he said Jerry's way does not work and this wont either. Said McCarthy is a really good coach but essentially jerry's way doesn't work.

he also mentioned matt rhule was never interested in NY at all because they have an institutional problem and do not know how to win. He said Josh McDaniels is best assistant in new England and he had no interest in NY because they wont change what is causing them to lose.

Lombardi is an insufferable know it all.

LucaBrasi likes this.
  6. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

10,313 Messages
    10,501 Likes Received
    He moved on when the DMN put a ban on people linking to their articles, before he went to the athletic.

Gaede and BigD5 like this.
  7. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

12,174 Messages
    12,567 Likes Received
    Considering Zeke and Pollard are good at catching passes out of the back field, they'll still be a big part of the offense. They may not run as much in a traditional sense but I doubt they will be ignored.
    McCarthy is known to adapt. Heck he even try to used a WR as a tailback for the whole season.

Kolemmitt likes this.
  8. BigD5

BigD5 Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    I don’t recall him getting a hard time

Seems like he quit around the time he couldn’t link to his articles anymore. Which was a really stupid move by his employers IMO

9. Shake_Tiller

Shake_Tiller Well-Known Member

1,180 Messages
    1,109 Likes Received
    The McGinn article is especially insightful about McCarthy's philosophy of emphasizing turnover differential, which goes a long way toward explaining the Nolan hire. His teams were plus-97 in 204 regular season games. By contrast, Holmgren's teams were plus-7 in 7 seasons, and Sherman's teams were minus-14 in 6 seasons. One Green Bay coach bested McCarthy. Lombardi's teams were plus-115 in 122 regular season games.

McCarthy considers turnover differential vital. Also, according to McGinn, McCarthy thinks the primary job of a head coach is to get the most from the quarterback.

The article isn't all sunshine and roses -- McCarthy is thin-skinned and has a volatile temper, according to the writer -- but it is generally positive and certainly helps to understand Mccarthy's guiding principles.

One other thing -- McCarthy is pretty ruthless.He fired 16 assistant coaches in 13 seasons, including 5 coordinators.

Last thing -- McCarthy is big on dominating divisional opponents. He had a .692 divisional record and apparently emphasizes the need to control those games.

Gaede, Aven8 and perrykemp like this.
  10. MikeB80

MikeB80 Well-Known Member

2,997 Messages
    3,324 Likes Received
    True but Parcells and Holgmren almost did and some guys lost one then won one Like Vermeil.

11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

17,653 Messages
    12,866 Likes Received
    Guess we’ll all find out when the season starts.

12. BigD5

BigD5 Well-Known Member

1,434 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    Sturm’s last post was in January of 2017

13. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

22,102 Messages
    37,970 Likes Received
    Unless he plans on turning Elliott into Marshall Faulk II, he will have to run the ball, Booger didn't give Elliott that contract not to be featured.

Since Big Mike has only been the HC on one team, all we have to go on is what he did with Favre and Rodgers, two passers, not QB's, passers. And he never had a RB the equal to Elliott or the same kind of run OL.

Take a look at Don Shula before he got Marino. He had Griese, they had all 3 RB's go over 1K. He helped give birth to the pass with Unitas and still ran the ball more when he had the RB's.

I don't think we know yet what this is going to look like basing it on his GB time. One thing that is not lost on him, those stats I shared with y'all last week. The top 4 passing teams, not in the playoffs. The top 4 rushing teams, all in the playoffs.

The key is getting the ball in the hands of the playmakers and Elliott should have been a bigger playmaker for this team every season he's played. He's averaged 10 rushing TD's a season and that should be no less than 15. He had 2 TD's in 3 playoff games and that should be closer to 5.

There is a difference between running the ball and effectively running the ball. I am looking forward to seeing which Big Mike does.

14. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Well-Known Member

2,943 Messages
    3,194 Likes Received
    And a big time homer Eagirls fan!

15. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

13,952 Messages
    30,196 Likes Received

Actually. Zeke should be able to eviscerate defenses in the passing game. Garrett never knew how to use a running back in the passing game. Garrett sucked at designing screen passes.

No reason Zeke shouldn’t be able to be a big part of the passing game with McCarthy as the coach.

The cowboys with their OL and Zeke should be able to be a really good screen game. Now that they actually have a coach, that knows how to implement It.

Now, the question of a contract for a RB will always remain. But McCarthy being the coach doesn’t necessarily mean a less productive Zeke. Just a different type of production. Less carries, but more catches and use in the passing game.

WillieBeamen, Gaede and percyhoward like this.
  16. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

7,567 Messages
    5,854 Likes Received
    The odds of a coach winning a SB are low, period. The other part is irrelevant.

17. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Well-Known Member

8,234 Messages
    6,971 Likes Received

18. _sturt_

_sturt_ Well-Known Member

2,435 Messages
    2,320 Likes Received

I dare say, McCarthy in GB and McCarthy in DAL will be decidedly, though maybe not incredibly, different.

Different set of tools. At least for now.

Will Cowboys drafts in the future look increasingly like Packers drafts? Dunno.

Kinda hope not... not really that impressed with anything they've ever done except pass the ball.

19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,976 Messages
    20,861 Likes Received
    None of this is about his contract. He's being paid to be the Best back in the NFL, the rushing leader year in, year out. You can get a pass catching RB who can also give you good yards on 10 to 15 carries for half the price.

cml750 likes this.
  20. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    7,413 Likes Received
    for sure wanst Montgomery a WR that truned Rb was their main back most games..they for sure didnt have a Bellcow wh a 3 down player..plus he and pollard both can run routes and I know MM like Screens..

Fletch likes this.