1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Sturm Has Been Great To Listen To About McCarthy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackspider214, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

9,806 Messages
    15,845 Likes Received

PA Cowboy Fan and nightrain like this.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye.

21,709 Messages
    12,915 Likes Received
    The odds of any coach winning a Super Bowl are low.

3. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

4,454 Messages
    5,431 Likes Received
  4. HotDog37

HotDog37 Well-Known Member

340 Messages
    343 Likes Received
    If I'm McCarthy Zeke is on a very short leash. A bit of time to get with the program, and you better, or I'll find a way to pull a Hershel Walker deal. Jimmy all over again. No favors. Straight football. No clownage. No dogging it. U clown U out. U dog U out. U putter u out. U pout U out. U be stupid in public places U out. Be absolutely elite. He was paid to be absolutely elite. Zeke who? Show me. For the record I think Zeke is elite but it's going to take a hell of a coach to see it again. Because he is a lazy clown. Sign of the times. I give him 2 more years here at best really.

5. JBell

JBell That's still my Quarterback

5,521 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    Yeah because this 2019 Packers roster is EXACTLY the same as last year's.

:rolleyes:

DakPresgoat and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  6. MMObserver

MMObserver Member

46 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Mac is absolutely no-nonsense. There is no fluff, no BS, and no drama with Mac. He is as authentic as they come.

But, but, but he is nothing like Bill Parcells and is actually known as a players coach.
    I don't actually hate McCarthy. I rank him as a 6 on a scale of 1-10.

I also do NOT believe he is principally responsible for squandering the Packers' opportunity to return to another Super Bowl after winning one in 2010 with a very young team and a QB who would go on to win two subsequent MVP awards (2011 and 2014).

That honor belongs to GB's former GM Ted Thompson.

As for Packers fans generally, they are very split over McCarthy's legacy (and Rodgers' legacy for that matter).

Mac was never an arse or a phony and he definitely played up a working man persona that resonated with much of the fan base.

However, as time wore on and he failed to make necessary adjustments (and the division got better with Zim in Minnesota and the Bears finally becoming relevant) the "we do what we do approach" lost its luster and more and more fans began coming around to the idea that perhaps he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The fact that the Packers went 13-3 this season without Rodgers playing all that well (and with literally 1 worthy receiving option) opened up the eyes of a lot of Packer fans who suddenly began asking why McCarthy refused to feature RB Aaron Jones (running and passing), never committed to a running attack, and all but ignored the D and STs for so many years.

LIS, I think Dallas can win a SB with Mac, but man it is going to be fascinating to see how he play in big D.

beware_d-ware and pancakeman like this.
  7. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

3,249 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Interesting—after the hire I asked my buddy who’s a diehard Packers fan about McCarthy. His first comment was “he won’t give up on the run.”

Bullflop likes this.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

46,527 Messages
    46,795 Likes Received
    The reason fans compare him to Garrett is because of perceptions about his personality (i.e. He comes across as a regular Joe...).

Fans are not informed enough to know anything about his actual coaching history.

9. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

9,806 Messages
    15,845 Likes Received

Sepia likes this.
  10. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Zone Supporter

9,356 Messages
    12,705 Likes Received
    If McCarthy is as pass happy as stated, its going to be real interesting how he approaches the game with Dak who doesn't have Aaron Rodgers vision or accuracy.

WillieBeamen likes this.
  11. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Fire Garrett

9,485 Messages
    6,050 Likes Received
    If he’s worth anything as an offensive coach he’ll be able to figure out how to use all the weapons at his disposal and that Dak isn’t Rodgers.

PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  12. Cebrin

Cebrin Well-Known Member

2,251 Messages
    2,072 Likes Received
    Considering the lack of running back talent in GB during his tenure, it makes perfect sense to ignore the run some.

I doubt things will be exactly as we've seen in GB. I suspect he will evaluate his players, and personnel (as any good coach would do), and play to the teams strengths.

What I do expect is to see is our running backs used in more passing situations. I've heard many here complain of how we don't utilize it enough. Well, prepare to be heard.

13. 32BellyOption

32BellyOption Well-Known Member

1,185 Messages
    1,347 Likes Received
    I think we’ll get more bang for our buck now out of Zeke. McCarthy’s offense features a lot more swing passes and screens and backs running routes than did Garrett’s. Zeke will get the ball a lot more in open field now and that is a good thing.

Sepia likes this.
  14. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

4,625 Messages
    7,860 Likes Received
    Here's the" McCarthy Fired" thread from the Packers Forum so judge it for yourself. Interesting read

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/mike-mccarthy-fired.81788/

I thought this one post summed up the average, but certainly not all, Packer fan's thoughts;

"I wanna thank Mike McCarthy for the 13 years he gave for this team. He came in and cleaned up the mess that Mike Sherman left and brought a Title back to Green Bay but the time was up and it was time to move on."

15. SlammedZero

SlammedZero Well-Known Member

7,565 Messages
    19,529 Likes Received
    Pretty much what I was going to say.

McCarthy actually knows what he is doing. :laugh::muttley:

TexasFrog, Zman5 and cml750 like this.
  16. Turkish-Cowboy

Turkish-Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,729 Messages
    1,959 Likes Received
    Yeah he might also call designed screens with Zeke and Pollard, which are pretty hard for the defenses to defend.

17. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,464 Messages
    3,523 Likes Received
    The Packers signed some pretty good free agents prior to the season. The team was not the same team McCarthy had when he was fired.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay...agent-signings-zadarius-smith-fills-no-1-need

WillieBeamen likes this.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

52,977 Messages
    20,861 Likes Received
    And what I am saying is that you payed Zeke like the leading rusher in the NFL year in and year out. I don't see that happening with McCarthy and his offense. As I said, you can hire a guy who catches balls out of the backfield and gives you 15 carries for much cheaper. Like it or don't, it's true. The contract is looking worse and worse to me.

19. ABQCOWBOY

52,977 Messages
    20,861 Likes Received
    Could be right. A lot will depend on how much authority he has with the team and how much Jerry will allow him to actually coach.

20. ABQCOWBOY

52,977 Messages
    20,861 Likes Received
    I don't think he gives up on the run but it's not the same as being a run first team. Look back on those GB teams and see what the numbers say around the Offense. Are they running a balanced Offense or is it heavily weighed towards the run?

pancakeman likes this.