1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Bob Sturm Has Been Great To Listen To About McCarthy

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blackspider214, Jan 7, 2020.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

17,061 Messages
    21,853 Likes Received
    Right, you don't justify a bad contract at the cost of offensive efficiency.

Cowboys 1st-Half Yards & Scoring by Run Frequency Run
    less than 40% (5 games) 252 yards, 14.4 pts
    Run 40-44% (6 games) 209 yards 13.8 pts
    Run more than 44% (5 games) 186 yards 10.2 pts

Dallas was dead last in 2019 in % of passes that were targeted at or behind the LOS.

DakPresgoat and dreghorn2 like this.
  2. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

41,020 Messages
    60,240 Likes Received
    But you highlight by one of the issues I have seen some have with McCarthy.

He can sometimes forget his running game. And when you just made Elliott the highest paid running back in football.

3. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

3,492 Messages
    1,896 Likes Received
    What does Sturm think About the hire overall? Hard to think of anyone who is opinions I trust more than him.

WillieBeamen likes this.
  4. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

3,865 Messages
    4,870 Likes Received
    I think a lot of the downer on Mccarthy is based on that last season in GB. Frankly I don’t blame him for the way it ended there, Rodgers is a total diva and the way he’s going the one SB is all he is going to win.

5. FredRob22

FredRob22 New Member

14 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I wouldn't worry so much about the lack of running game. He just never really had good backs to utilize outside Eddy Lacy who was pretty good in his time in Green Bay. But Lacy isn't even close to Zeke. I think he'll know how to get the most out of ALL our weapons. He'd be foolish not to and he sounds like a pretty smart football guy.

Roadtrip635 likes this.
  6. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

13,952 Messages
    30,197 Likes Received

I didn’t say it does. I specifically mentioned that the argument of whether to pay RB’s or not is still an argument to be made.

what I’m saying is. McCarthy being hired doesn’t mean Zeke will be any less productive or part of the offense, than he was with Garrett as HC. Production can come in various forms.

7. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

6,574 Messages
    10,849 Likes Received
    McCarthy was highly successful with challenges against the Cowboys.

8. Mr_V

Mr_V rat2k8

6,926 Messages
    7,670 Likes Received
    One thing I love about this hire is McCarthy knows clock management. Clapper was a disaster in this department. He never learned to tell time. Can't wait for next year!!!

cml750 likes this.
  9. basilhayden

basilhayden Well-Known Member

1,216 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    Jerry will make him use Zeke.
    Doesn't matter to what McCarty wants.

10. TexasFrog

TexasFrog Well-Known Member

6,491 Messages
    6,577 Likes Received
    His Athletic article today on him was the best I’ve seen!

11. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

21,056 Messages
    14,674 Likes Received
    I think you are going to see Zeke get even more involved and effective in the passing game.

cml750 and visionary like this.
  12. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

21,056 Messages
    14,674 Likes Received
    Far too many good posters being run off because people are so militant about things. Not near enough civility here at times.

Also is someone claims to have inside info people berate them to death.

Scotman, dreghorn2 and bratch59 like this.
  13. MMObserver

MMObserver Member

46 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Nope.

McCarthy was notoriously poor with clock management during his time in GB.

Even Blogging The Boys knows "One of the more common critiques of McCarthy during his days in Green Bay, even when the team was winning, was his clock management skills. Head-scratching timeouts were frequent occurrences, among other issues. It was such a problem that McCarthy relinquished play-calling duties to focus more on overall head coach responsibilities, although he took back those duties after offensive struggles."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-success-with-the-cowboys-ravens-kellen-moore

"McCarthy doesn’t seem to have any idea what to do on fourth down anymore. He’s terrible at clock management."

https://totalpackers.com/2018/11/mike-mccarthy-says-mike-mccarthy-needs-to-coach-better/

"Paul Noonan of AcmePackingCompany.com defined wasted timeouts as those used before the two-minute warning in the first half, and before the final five minutes of the second half. And by that measurement, the Packers lead the league, with 14 wasted timeouts so far this season."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/18/packers-wasting-timeouts-far-more-than-most-teams/

beware_d-ware likes this.
  14. ClintDagger

ClintDagger Well-Known Member

1,024 Messages
    1,517 Likes Received
    I’m a big Sturm fan. And certainly offensive philosophy wise Garrett and McCarthy are very different. But there are similarities too primarily in how each are seen as poor situational game managers. Also, both had the reputation of getting very stale with their playbooks through the years. I did see where McCarthy’s teams only were slightly better from a statistical standpoint than Garrett’s teams and defensively his teams were slightly worse than Garrett’s. Now don’t get me wrong, I do think McCarthy is an upgrade but I am a little concerned that GB hired ML and he turned them around so quickly.

15. Kwyn

Kwyn Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    You can hear a couple of segments at the ticket’s website

http://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/

one thing he unequivocally said was that there was zero chance that the 2019 Cowboys miss the playoffs of McCarthy was here.

RamziD likes this.
  16. ClintDagger

ClintDagger Well-Known Member

1,024 Messages
    1,517 Likes Received
    If it’s McCarthy year 1 or 2 I agree with him. If it’s McCarthy year 12 or 13 like it was Garrett year 10 I’m not so sure. It’s probably not a fair comparison TBH. McCarthy got 4 wins in 12 games with a team that a first year coach just went 13-3 with. I think McCarthy’s 2018 was as bad or worse of an effort as Garrett’s 2019.

17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

16,798 Messages
    20,706 Likes Received
    I heard him yesterday and he said he was surprised. Surprised that Jerry would go for him, as he is a no nonsense coach. He said he’s the closest thing to Big Bill out there.

WillieBeamen and RamziD like this.
  18. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

4,454 Messages
    5,431 Likes Received
    I don't know who you are, but I like you.

19. MMObserver

MMObserver Member

46 Messages
    61 Likes Received
  20. Kwyn

Kwyn Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Didn’t Rogers miss like 10 games in 2017 and have a broken leg in 2018? Not saying that explains everything at all but his last two years, his QB wasn’t physically at his best