Twitter: Bobby Belt: $32M is CeeDee floor?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’ll be looking for more than $32 million. He may accept slightly less than what Jefferson got, but if he’s looking to top him, this could be a lengthy hold out.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree here ....these are multi-billionaires with teams of advisors covering every angle of the finances/businesses. I'm not sure they are ever caught off guard by a threat to the business, the impact maybe but not the threat.
You would think. But do none of these billion dollar businesses never make mistakes? I may have went a bit far by saying they're surprised, unprepared would be a better choice. Also consider they may not want to tie up all of that money. Which means everyone isn't getting signed.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
unprepared would be a better choice.
This I agree.........coz certain factors were out of their control. Think about it, you are a billionaire facing a threat to your empire. What are you doing.........hire a team of experts to help void damages and if can't do that, how much can you control and what are the worst-case scenarios? Hell, I would argue most if not all owners have known this was possible when the suit was initially filed.

Also consider they may not want to tie up all of that money. Which means everyone isn't getting signed.

Honestly, this may affect Dak way more than CeeDee and Parsons coz his contract requires a decision at the end of this season. They can buy at least 2-3 more years CeeDee and Parsons. Don't be surprised they start using this as a reason NOT to give anyone a big-money deal anytime soon and letting Dak walk.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He’ll be looking for more than $32 million. He may accept slightly less than what Jefferson got, but if he’s looking to top him, this could be a lengthy hold out.
Just me, but I don't much difference between him and Jefferson.....why should he take less?

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Its amazing that the Davidians can't see that Dak does not want to be back . You are all quick to blame Jerry and chuckles , maybe start using your brains ..

CD's mom and Micah's bro pointed some serious fingers after the GB debacle .
Tad then got his panties all wadded up as usual .
Throw in limp wristed France telling Dak he should be paid #1 and test the market ...

And here we are ..

Dak is gone, but not because dumbo and his kid want him to be . Dak is gone, because he can't handle the heat and wants to be paid elsewhere without the pressure . Thank you Dak !!

Its going to be a long season for the most devout davidians
Ha! In your dreams maybe. Only way Dak goes is if free agency becomes too attractive a prospect and someone offers him a great deal, on a team he can't refuse.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just me, but I don't much difference between him and Jefferson.....why should he take less?
Statistically there hasn’t been much difference, but he should take less, so we have a better chance to hang onto his QB. CeeDee should keep the teams situation in mind. Parsons is also looking for a huge extension. Dak made CeeDee and his numbers will likely drop if we end up with a lesser QB. It’s going to be difficult to maximize his contract if we can’t hang onto Dak. He and Dak have had some great chemistry. If we extend CeeDee and he doesn’t live up to his contract, fans will complain that it’s another bad contract. He needs his QB to continue to produce at the level he has.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I hate to say but he has very little leverage over the next 2-3 years but here is the thing. If they can't get CeeDee ( probably the easiest of the three ), there is almost no chance of completing Parsons's deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/47611/ceedee-lamb/contract/cap

Good, try to trade him. If we dont get offers that are worth the 2nd best wr in the game use that as an negotiation argument.

2nd best wr in the game should get us at least a top 5 pick and a high 2nd.

Say we get only a first round offer, which is an #1 wr offer who is nothing special talk to him. Offer hi m exactly this: a not so special contract. If he doesnt agree. Bye

Easy.

Next up: the 30-minute man.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Remember when everyone thought Amari's 20 million contract was a bad deal? You blink and now it's an average WR1 salary. Ceedee's contract won't look that scary in a couple years, but waiting is a tactic the Jones boys have chosen, but when you do it with great players you're risking someone else driving the market higher and relations with that player. You can't rollover for everyone, but the Cowboys should take care of their franchise players earlier.

Next thing you know we'll turn around and resign Osa for 20 million a year touting it a team friendly deal for a top end player.

Just get a deal done with Ceedee boys...
IMO, Amari's $20M asking price wasn't even bad at the time. It was in line with his production. Definitely not something you'd dump for a 5th round pick just to get him off the books.

Now, freaking Diontae Johnson makes $19M AAV, so Amari's contract looks like a steal.

Bagman

Reaction score
How frequent does that happen? Daniel Jones gets 40 million a year just like Dak does and he never held out for disrespect. Typically these guys wait a few years before they ask for a better deal. Zack Martin waited years.
It happens enough. A few guys on each team cry about being disrespected to the media each year. Great players know when they're a bargain and they usually let management know too.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Statistically there hasn’t been much difference, but he should take less, so we have a better chance to hang onto his QB
I see exactly what you are saying but do you honestly think he cares about that? The same as Dak isn't taking less to hang on to CeeDee or Parsons. I remember a former agent saying it's not a player's job to help a GM manage his cap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It happens enough. A few guys on each team cry about being disrespected to the media each year. Great players know when they're a bargain and they usually let management know too.
They cry about it but not right after signing a deal I don’t even think it’s possible I think you have to wait at least a year before you can even renegotiate after just signing an extension.
We have to quit letting this front office off the hook. Now we shouldn’t sign guys early because they may ask for more money down the road?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I see exactly what you are saying but do you honestly think he cares about that? The same as Dak isn't taking less to hang on to CeeDee or Parsons. I remember a former agent saying it's not a player's job to help a GM manage his cap.
If he doesn’t care about who his QB is there could be a problem with him. Maybe he wants to get paid and doesn’t care about anything else. That could be why the team is always stuck in the mud, having players that only care about money. Dak targeting him repeatedly last season is the reason he had a career year and is in position to break the bank. No receiver that’s had great success with a QB wants to see their QB leave, unless money is the number one objective. As for Dak we don’t know if he’s looking to reset the market. That’s the point I’m making. If CeeDee is looking to reset the market at receiver that’s going to be a problem. All three players may want to reset the market. The Cowboys won’t be able to do that. Obviously, they all want to be paid comparable to their peers. That’s how it is with all players.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Definitely not something you'd dump for a 5th round pick just to get him off the books.
The value or amount of Amari's contract had little or nothing to do with why he was traded. Stephen and Garret wanted him gone, as in off the team. They were prepared to release him before his $20M salary became guaranteed on the 5th day of the league's new year. They didn't even offer him a pay cut. It's my understanding Amari would have turned it down anyway. So when the Browns offered a 5th AND and Amari a chance to keep his guaranteed $20M, it was an easy decision for Jerry and Stephen. We have some say they could have gotten more than a 5th but the way that was possible was to allow the $20M guaranteed to lock in after the 5th day of the league new year and try to trade later, before the draft. But as mentioned, they want him gone, so there was no way they were taking a chance owing him the $20M and NOT being able to make a trade.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If he doesn’t care about who his QB is there could be a problem with him. Maybe he wants to get paid and doesn’t care about anything else. That could be why the team is always stuck in the mud, having players that only care about money. Dak targeting him repeatedly last season is the reason he had a career year and is in position to break the bank. No receiver that’s had great success with a QB wants to see their QB leave, unless money is the number one objective. As for Dak we don’t know if he’s looking to reset the market. That’s the point I’m making. If CeeDee is looking to reset the market at receiver that’s going to be a problem. All three players may want to reset the market. The Cowboys won’t be able to do that. Obviously, they all want to be paid comparable to their peers. That’s how it is with all players.
K....I am not disagreeing with you. I see what you are saying but it is rare that players today take less money to put in another pocket. As a matter of fact, I can't think of ever seeing or hearing of a WR taking less money so his QB can get paid. Now we have seen some QBs take less for teammates ( likely coz they are the highest-paid position) but not players from other positions take less to keep their QB.

As for all 3 players wanting to reset the market, we have talked about this in other threads...,......all 3 were likely looking to be the highest-paid at the positions. Here is my.......this didn't just drop in Stephen's lap. He has had 2-3 years to prepare. Hell, he should be attacking this with a plan A, B and C. Besides what the hell he going to do with the cap space/money coz darn sure not spending it on outside free agents. Now he is dragging his feet with his guys.......lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
K....I am not disagreeing with you. I see what you are saying but it is rare that players today take less money to put in another pocket. As a matter of fact, I can't think of ever seeing or hearing of a WR taking less money so his QB can get paid. Now we have seen some QBs take less for teammates ( likely coz they are the highest-paid position) but not players from other positions take less to keep their QB.

As for all 3 players wanting to reset the market, we have talked about this in other threads...,......all 3 were likely looking to be the highest-paid at the positions. Here is my.......this didn't just drop in Stephen's lap. He has had 2-3 years to prepare. Hell, he should be attacking this with a plan A, B and C. Besides what the hell he going to do with the cap space/money coz darn sure not spending it on outside free agents. Now he is dragging his feet with his guys.......lol
The Cowboys have a dilemma. If they allow Dak to walk and extend CeeDee, good luck maximizing his contract if it takes a long time to find a viable QB. If CeeDee breaks the bank for however much it is, fans aren’t going to be happy and neither will the Joneses if his numbers begin to decline with the next QB. We’ll see how it plays out.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys have a dilemma. If they allow Dak to walk and extend CeeDee, good luck maximizing his contract if it takes a long time to find a viable QB. If CeeDee breaks the bank for however much it is, fans aren’t going to be happy and neither will the Joneses if his numbers begin to decline with the next QB. We’ll see how it plays out.
They could always trade Lamb and take the Lance route in 2025. Then have a top 3 pick in 2026.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They could always trade Lamb and take the Lance route in 2025. Then have a top 3 pick in 2026.
That would be absolutely stupid! Trade their number one receiver who’s one of the best in the league and go with Trey Lance at QB? :facepalm: By the way, how do you know you’re going to get a top three pick by trading CeeDee? A top three pick doesn’t guarantee success anyway.

Flamma

Reaction score
That would be absolutely stupid! Trade your number one receiver who’s one of the best in the league and go with Trey Lance at QB? :facepalm: By the way, how do you know you’re going to get a top three pick by trading CeeDee? A top three pick doesn’t guarantee success anyway.
If Lance starts in 2025 and Lamb isn't on the team, how well do you think he and the team will do? We'd be lucky to win 3 games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Lance starts in 2025 and Lamb isn't on the team, how well do you think he and the team will do? We'd be lucky to win 3 games.
Is that what you want, trade CeeDee and start Trey Lance in 2025? How the heck would the team get better doing something like that even if they ended up with the top three pick? A top three pick doesn’t guarantee a good player especially a QB. If we want to have any chance of success, we need to hang on to the receiver and QB we have. Without those two we could be looking at a number of very lean years down the road. It’s almost like that’s what some of you want. :rolleyes: