Twitter: Bobby Belt: $32M is CeeDee floor?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Dak walks, what was your solution? At least I gave one that gets a top pick.
If Dak walks there really isn’t any solution. We’re going to be left in a bind because we don’t have a viable QB behind him. If we were stuck in that position I would hang onto Lance and possibly draft a QB with our first or second pick if there’s one worth taking. I would then bring in a veteran QB and have a competition during camp. We’re going to need options. Odds are we would probably be stuck playing musical chairs at QB during the season. If it’s not going well with one, throw in another. We would be in a sad situation unless Lance were to develop into something or we get lucky with the draft pick. It’s never a good situation when you’re moving on from your franchise QB because of money and you don’t have a viable QB you feel good about waiting in the wings.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If Dak walks there really isn’t any solution. We’re going to be left in a bind because we don’t have a viable QB behind him. If we were stuck in that position I would hang onto Lance and possibly draft a QB with our first or second pick if there’s one worth taking. I would then bring in a veteran QB and have a competition during camp. We’re going to need options. Odds are we would probably be stuck playing musical chairs at QB during the season. If it’s not going well with one, throw in another. We would be in a sad situation unless Lance were to develop into something or we get lucky with the draft pick. It’s never a good situation when you’re moving on from your franchise QB because of money and you don’t have a viable QB you feel good about waiting in the wings.
This is true but I think if you get a guy like Wilson or Carr, they can close a margin a bit until you find your franchise guy.
BTW......This is just me but I would strongly consider Justin Fields over Lance. Pair him with a rookie and vet.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dak walks there really isn’t any solution. We’re going to be left in a bind because we don’t have a viable QB behind him. If we were stuck in that position I would hang onto Lance and possibly draft a QB with our first or second pick if there’s one worth taking.
The only difference in what I said is trading Lamb. Then we'd be in a much better position to draft a QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Chasing6

Reaction score
What I'm saying is, all, 100% of the guaranteed money has to be put into a separate account. The player doesn't get it all at once, but the account does. I forget what the time table is, but it isn't long after the guarantees are signed. It's just something us fans rarely think about.

Now think of both contracts big cap hits striking at the same time. They're going to have to somehow stagger them. I just don't think they are paying both Lamb and Dak. I'm not a big Dak fan as you've probably noticed. But if they pay Lamb and let Dak walk, that's akin to buying new tires and selling your engine.
Can't win without a QB. Paying CD without a QB is stupid. Odd man out is Micah. Trade him to the AFC.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can't win without a QB. Paying CD without a QB is stupid. Odd man out is Micah. Trade him to the AFC.
I'd say Lamb is the odd man out. WR is easier replaced than Parsons or Dak. But you never know. The Jones boys might like the idea of two first round picks for Parsons.

Flamma

Reaction score
Think about it. When we're talking about good offenses, who has them? The Cowboys got a limited run game, Lamb, and who else?

The 49ers clearly have a better offense. Same with the Eagles. Even the Vikings have a better top 2 WRs than we do. Who knows how their QB will do. Are we expecting Dak to tilt the board? He's not going to.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He can make leverage by holding out. Without CD this team wins less than 8 games.

Sure he can but is it practical? So I'm not sure that's leverage if it's costing you a ton of money

Players are fined for each unexcused absence at mandatory minicamps or training camp … and it's not cheap. In past years under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, teams were permitted to forgive the fines once contract terms were met. But not anymore in most cases.Jun 14, 2023

In 2023, players who missed an unexcused day of mandatory offseason minicamp could be fined $16,459 for the first day, $32,920 for the second day, and $49,374 for the third day. Players who held out during training camp could be fined $50,000 per day, up from $30,000 in the previous CBA. However, the fines can be reduced or waived for players under rookie contracts.

Players may hold out for a variety of reasons, including to receive a more lucrative deal or to gain leverage in contract negotiations. Holdouts can last from a few days to an entire season, or even indefinitely. However, holding out can also have negative consequences, such as not getting paid, damaging relationships with teammates and the front office, and creating a divide

Chasing6

Reaction score
Sure he can but is it practical? So I'm not sure that's leverage if it's costing you a ton of money

Players are fined for each unexcused absence at mandatory minicamps or training camp … and it's not cheap. In past years under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, teams were permitted to forgive the fines once contract terms were met. But not anymore in most cases.Jun 14, 2023

In 2023, players who missed an unexcused day of mandatory offseason minicamp could be fined $16,459 for the first day, $32,920 for the second day, and $49,374 for the third day. Players who held out during training camp could be fined $50,000 per day, up from $30,000 in the previous CBA. However, the fines can be reduced or waived for players under rookie contracts.

Players may hold out for a variety of reasons, including to receive a more lucrative deal or to gain leverage in contract negotiations. Holdouts can last from a few days to an entire season, or even indefinitely. However, holding out can also have negative consequences, such as not getting paid, damaging relationships with teammates and the front office, and creating a divide
Is it practical to not negotiate with your top 3 players?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only difference in what I said is trading Lamb. Then we'd be in a much better position to draft a QB.
Trading Lamb would be a stupid move. The QB you draft or bring in would need a weapon like him to have any chance of being successful. Without Lamb we have very little at WR. Having a QB and WR issue would destroy the team. Just look at the production and points Dak and CeeDee produced last season. Good luck replacing that production. They consisted of most of our offense last season.

Chasing6

Reaction score
All you need to replace is the QB. Teams try to do it every year. It's hit or miss, but you have to be there to try it. It's not going to take a decade to find a good WR.

I know full well the slim chances at finding an elite QB. So I really don't care if they move on from Dak. With or without Dak, our ceiling is being a division winner. I put most of the blame on our team building philosophy. They don't recognize that our QB is not elite. He needs a ton of talent around him.
Then the next one and the next and the next one and the next one and the next one.

Bagman

Reaction score
They cry about it but not right after signing a deal I don’t even think it’s possible I think you have to wait at least a year before you can even renegotiate after just signing an extension.
We have to quit letting this front office off the hook. Now we shouldn’t sign guys early because they may ask for more money down the road?
I guess I have to agree with you but I personally get spooked when I think of Zeke, Martin and DLaw whining about their deals. Its disruptive to the team. On the other hand, Jerry and Stephen are complete idiots when trying to deal with core players.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Trading Lamb would be a stupid move. The QB you draft or bring in would need a weapon like him to have any chance of being successful. Without Lamb we have very little at WR. Having a QB and WR issue would destroy the team. Just look at the production and points Dak and CeeDee produced last season. Good luck replacing that production. They consisted of most of our offense last season.
Just get Scott Hatteberg to play first.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The QB and WR go together. It would be dumb to keep Micah over CD or Dak(with no plan in place). No Trance is not a plan. Plus GM Jethro has always been an offensive over defense kind of guy. He knows a high scoring offense will sell tickets even if we lose.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The QB and WR go together. It would be dumb to keep Micah over CD or Dak(with no plan in place). No Trance is not a plan. Plus GM Jethro has always been an offensive over defense kind of guy. He knows a high scoring offense will sell tickets even if we lose.
Lance will be part of the plan if Dak walks, unless Lance has to play this season and doesn’t play well. If that’s the case, we’ll be forced to use a high pick on a QB and bring in a veteran.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Lance will be part of the plan if Dak walks, unless Lance has to play this season and doesn’t play well. If that’s the case, we’ll be forced to use a high pick on a QB and bring a veteran.
Anyone and everyone will be a part of the plan if he walks. Him walking is different than Dallas not trying to resign him.

If Jethro thinks the plan is to start Trance and let Dak walk then he is senile.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Jethro thinks the plan is to start Trance and let Dak walk then he is senile.
He’ll be left with little choice if Dak walks and Lance wins the backup job. The only thing he can do is sign a veteran and draft a young QB to compete with Lance. Those will be his options.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He’ll be left with little choice if Dak walks and Lance wins the backup job. The only thing he can do is sign a veteran and draft a young QB to compete with Lance. Those will be his options.
I seriously doubt he beats out Cooper Rush.