Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
TCU took are of business.
Somewhat similar to Ohio State also beating a fairly weak, but big name school.
Good job.

Fwiw, I think if Baylor wins out and especially if they beat K State by 10+, the head to head win will finally come into play vs TCU.

Big if though.

I agree. It's really a mucky situation with Big 12 not having a championship game. If TCU wins the Big 12, it'll unfair to Baylor since Baylor won the head-to-head. But if Baylor wins the Big 12, it'll unfair to TCU that TCU played a weak final game while Baylor played a ranked team.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So the power 5 conference championships are almost set:

ACC Championship: FSU vs Georgia Tech
Big 12 Championship: Haha
Big East Championship: Ohio State vs winner of today's Minnesota/Wisconson
Pac 12 Championship: Oregon vs Arizona
SEC Championship: Missouri vs Alabama or Miss St

Rogah

Reaction score
I have been calling them overrated all season and today proved me right. No wonder they schedule teams like Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic and Presbyterian for their out of conference games. Look what happens when they play the power 5. SEC EXPOSED:

Florida State 24, Florida 19
Georgia Tech 30, Georgia 24
Clemson 35, South Carolina 17
Louisville 44, Kentucky 40

Oh and by the way, their #4 ranked team ain't gonna be #4 no more.

jimmy40

Reaction score
I have been calling them overrated all season and today proved me right. No wonder they schedule teams like Western Carolina and Florida Atlantic and Presbyterian for their out of conference games. Look what happens when they play the power 5. SEC EXPOSED:

Florida State 24, Florida 19
Georgia Tech 30, Georgia 24
Clemson 35, South Carolina 17
Louisville 44, Kentucky 40

Oh and by the way, their #4 ranked team ain't gonna be #4 no more.
in all fairness everyone one knew the SEC East sucked hard, look at my earlier post on Missouri, what a joke that division is

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
At this point:

1. Bama (has to beat Auburn then Missou to hold on here)
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Baylor
5. FSU
6. OSU

If FSU wins the ACC CG they jump into top 4 for sure, but lose and they drop out of the top 10. They've gotten zero style points on the year.
And they've beaten no one more impressive than Clemson and that was an OT win at home. They've only played 4 road games all year.

OSU is down to QB3 and struggled again through 3 quarters while they had Barrett in the game versus the worst Michigan team in a long time.

Baylor was lucky to avoid upset versus Tech today. They were on the ropes and had they not gotten some questionable calls earlier they may not have won at all.
I don't care how many people suggest they hop TCU because of head to head. Those people are just wrong.
TCU lost a shootout on the road to Baylor after a last minute TD but has looked dominant almost every other weekend.
Baylor has looked shaky far more often and lost by 14 to an unranked but solid WVA team.
The best non-conf win is TCU's easy win over Minny by far.

I applaud the ACC today. I have bagged on them heavily as a fake P5 league but today they took care of business for real.
Kudos and congrats.

We are 1 upset away from the SEC being shut out of the CFB Playoffs.

Which I'd love because nothing would get us to 8 teams faster than that.

Rogah

Reaction score
in all fairness everyone one knew the SEC East sucked hard, look at my earlier post on Missouri, what a joke that division is
Well Georgia was ranked #9 and South Carolina was as high as #6 to start the season, so not everybody knew they sucked. I was on an island 3 months ago when I said how overrated the conference was this year.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Well Georgia was ranked #9 and South Carolina was as high as #6 to start the season, so not everybody knew they sucked. I was on an island 3 months ago when I said how overrated the conference was this year.

every conference has had teams ranked too high, happens every year, no way it couldn't happen.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Miss St losing definitely means Baylor or TCU moves into the top 4. If Alabama lose the rankings are really going to look different Tuesday.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

You know I have said they are overrated for about 5 years straight so can't claim that all alone:)

They were 7-3 in bowl games last year but 1-1 versus both the B12 and Pac12.
They dominated unranked teams in bowls to build that resume.
And love to schedule complete spares in non-conf to get bowl eligible.
Some go with 4 such games. See Miss ST.

I've watched more college games this year than I ever have before.
And all that leads me to believe the SEC is definitely not playing better, cleaner more well coached football.

There is a reason ATM and Missou moved over and has done just fine.
TAMU is actually exactly the same versus SEC comp since moving over as they were versus Big 12 comp in the same period before they left.
Missou has two SEC CG appearances in 3 seasons which is crazy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
every conference has had teams ranked too high, happens every year, no way it couldn't happen.

He is correct that it happens wayyyyy too often with the SEC and against all logical reason.
I noted SCar and TAMU were really overrated early because they simply had young, developing teams.
I also picked Ole Miss as my pre-season fave so wasn't that unaware of the SEC.

All that said you are correct, it happens to everyone.
UCLA had no business at 8 this week. A few shaky wins and a couple losses should have pushed them down to a realistic 15ish area.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
It's all about money...

I think TCU will be left out... not right... I have no dog in the fight, but I see them being left out...

Rogah

Reaction score
He is correct that it happens wayyyyy too often with the SEC and against all logical reason.
I noted SCar and TAMU were really overrated early because they simply had young, developing teams.
It was a joke. South Carolina was preseason #6, which was laughable. But when Texas A&M beat them to start the season, everyone went crazy for A&M because - oh my gosh! - they beat the #6 team..!! Of course, as time passed, that victory over South Carolina meant less and less.
I also picked Ole Miss as my pre-season fave so wasn't that unaware of the SEC.
I had Auburn as the best of that bunch.... but it looks like it is Alabama yet again.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Miss St losing definitely means Baylor or TCU moves into the top 4. If Alabama lose the rankings are really going to look different Tuesday.

Sadly for Ohio State, the committee will take into account that they lost their QB for season ...again...today.
Surely at least one of TCU or Baylor will be in the top 4 over them.
After Baylor's weak outing, I suspect it's TCU at 4.
If Baylor thumps KState next week then flip it.

Rogah

Reaction score
It's all about money...

I think TCU will be left out... not right... I have no dog in the fight, but I see them being left out...
I think TCU has a damn decent chance. They have the easiest game next week. Ohio State was going to have a tough time against Wisconsin if healthy, I just don't see them winning with a 3rd string QB. Baylor has no cakewalk even if Petty is healthy. Although if Baylor and TCU both win, could we see 2 Big 12 teams in the playoffs???

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think TCU has a damn decent chance. They have the easiest game next week. Ohio State was going to have a tough time against Wisconsin if healthy, I just don't see them winning with a 3rd string QB. Baylor has no cakewalk even if Petty is healthy. Although if Baylor and TCU both win, could we see 2 Big 12 teams in the playoffs???

GTech is capable of beating FSU, of course.
Arizona could even upset Oregon at a neutral site.

Must be nice not having to okay extra game vs a top team. It assure, IMO, that either TCU or Baylor gets in. And as you say, maybe both.

TCU will be 4th this Tuesday and we'll see after that. Should be fun.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This week
1) Alabama
2) Oregon
3) Florida St
4)TCU
5) Baylor or Ohio St
6) Ohio St or Baylor
7) Michigan St
8 ) Arizona
9) Wisconsin
10) Miss St, G Tech, or Mizzou

Seabo

Reaction score

Oklahoma was ranked #4 and Stanford #11. This is a preseason poll problem, not any conference being overrated