Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
Thanks for posting key match ups and ranking!!

Arizona won't jump from 7 to 4 with everyone winning unless they face stomp Oregon and others squeak by.
They've got TWO losses which will keep them below Baylor if Baylor beats KST.
That 7 seed right now is misleading because there is likely a big gap between the top 6 and that 7th spot.

FSU/TCU order doesn't matter much. Win and they are both in.

TCU/Baylor probably won't matter but could if FSU loses and all other top 6 wins. TCU, OSU, Baylor fighting for two spots could get VERY interesting.

GT/KST would be a fun bowl match up. I suspect KST would win because they are more dangerous in the air and they may have the best Xs and Os coach in the entire country... but GT has a really good defense.

Rogah

Reaction score
various:
Thanks for posting key match ups and ranking!!

Arizona won't jump from 7 to 4 with everyone winning unless they face stomp Oregon and others squeak by.
Considering the caliber of opponents Alabama, Baylor and FSU are playing, I don't think Arizona would jump over any of them, no matter how close they "squeak by." Arizona simply needs an awful lot of teams ahead of them to lose. Furthermore, I don't even think they would jump Alabama if Alabama lost.
FSU/TCU order doesn't matter much. Win and they are both in.
I tell ya this: If I am TCU, I play for real and play to win convincingly. They are, IMHO, the only team that could win and be in trouble because they are the only team (of the top 6) playing a poor opponent.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The Oregon Ducks are the first team in the playoffs. Let's see who will join them.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So if all the contenders win today, they each will have beaten the following number of currently ranked teams:

Oregon: 6 (Mich St, Arizona St, Arizona, UCLA, Utah, USC
Alabama: 5 (Miss St, Miss, Auburn, Mizzou, LSU)
Florida St: 3 (Ga Tech, Clemson, Louisville)
Baylor: 3 (TCU, K State, Oklahoma)
TCU 2: (K State, Oklahoma)
Ohio St: 2 (Wisconsin, Mich St)

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Since you guys are so knowledgeable about college ball I was wondering if there is any talk about Lane being Nick's successor at Bama?

I was just wondering if that is the plan?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Okie St beat OU in OT

Because it's a rivalry game, it may not devalue the wins over OU by TCU and Baylor quite as much.
OU (with 4 losses) will fall out of the top 25 though...which TCU will have only 1 win over a currently top 25 teams and Baylor will have just 2 if they beat KSU..

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cardelle Jones Is on fire for Ohio State. A total canon for an arm and very accurate so far.
24-0 Buckeyes in the 2nd quarter.

Uh, make that 31-0 vs #2 ranked defense in the country.

The committee is going to very hard pressed to deny these guys if they keep this up.
I don't envy them

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Cardelle Jones Is on fire for Ohio State. A total canon for an arm and very accurate so far.
24-0 Buckeyes in the 2nd quarter.

Uh, make that 31-0 vs #2 ranked defense in the country.

The committee is going to very hard pressed to deny these guys if they keep this up.
I don't envy them

I agree. But the only question is would they put them above FSU if FSU wins? Personally, I don't think FSU would stand a chance against the other teams, but it's unfair to not give them a shot considering they haven't lost a game since 2012.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree. But the only question is would they put them above FSU if FSU wins? Personally, I don't think FSU would stand a chance against the other teams, but it's unfair to not give them a shot considering they haven't lost a game since 2012.

If FSU wins, I actually think TCU (with their 1 win over a ranked team in the final poll) may be more vulnerable.
But I really have no idea

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
If FSU wins, I actually think TCU (with their 1 win over a ranked team in the final poll) may be more vulnerable.
But I really have no idea

Yeah, it's real tricky. It seems like the committee thinks TCU is playing like the best team in the country. And if Baylor pulls away and beats K State impressively, it'll make matters even more difficult for the committee. The only thing that's a guarantee right now is Alabama and Oregon. If you could make the argument for 6 teams after today, I think you could make the argument for an 8-team playoff expansion in a few years.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Hard not to put Ohio State in after tonight. How many great QBs do they have? Seems like every time one goes down, the next one is better. Imagine how good their 4th string QB is.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Looking like all the teams expected to win will win. The committee was probably hoping two of them lost.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
yup this committee will have it's work cut out for it with these results.
about as bad as it could be for them.

Hard to keep OSU out with a conference championship but that 14 point loss to a 6-6 team is tough.
Same for Baylor with the 14 point loss to a 7-5 team.

TCU won by over 50 today so very hard to move them down imho. 1 loss to a top 10 team on the road by 3 points is about as compelling for worst loss as it gets.
They also have a serious Heisman candidate at QB and a great defense with tons of explosive offensive guys.

Baylor beat em all but WVA so really good wins over KST and OU and TCU. Tough deal....

This needs to be 8 teams.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO Everyone winning today hurts TCU. All the other teams beat ranked teams and most wins were for conference championships.