Breaking down the College Football Playoffs

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Florida State better murder everyone they play the rest of the way or they could very well go undefeated and not get in.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Big games of the week:

1 Miss St at 5 Bama 2:30 CST ---Should be one heck of a football game.

3 FSU at Miami 7:00 PM CST --seldom include non-ranked foes but this a road game versus a rival for top tanked team that has been mightily inconsistent.

8 Ohio State at 25 Minny Noon EST --Not gonna pretend I've seen Minny so this would be my first watch. Game huge for TCU who will root heavily for Minny.

9 Auburn at 15 Georgia 6:15 CST -- This is really, really, really done bracket of the CFP as loser takes 3 losses.

There are also a handful of games between teams outside the top 25 that could propel one team into meaning but right now both sides sit on the outside looking in.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Florida State better murder everyone they play the rest of the way or they could very well go undefeated and not get in.

with all the viewers and money that's associated with FSU, not possible... (and they're defending champs)

but they have struggles, hopefully they go undefeated the rest of the way... but it will be tough..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
with all the viewers and money that's associated with FSU, not possible... (and they're defending champs)

but they have struggles, hopefully they go undefeated the rest of the way... but it will be tough..
FSU isn't going to bring in more than, say, Alabama.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
FSU isn't going to bring in more than, say, Alabama.

not comparing.. just saying, they won't miss if they win out... even with a few squeakers...
There is a reason FSU keeps getting night time games... their ratings are through the roof, & they travel well.
to have a team with that much drama, suspense, flare for the dramatics, who are undefeated with the reigning heisman trophy winner, out of the playoffs after they started the season number 1 would call into question the whole system...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
not comparing.. just saying, they won't miss if they win out... even with a few squeakers...
There is a reason FSU keeps getting night time games... their ratings are through the roof, & they travel well.
to have a team with that much drama, suspense, flare for the dramatics, who are undefeated with the reigning heisman trophy winner, out of the playoffs after they started the season number 1 would call into question the whole system...
I think that taking drama, suspense, and flare for the dramatic into account would bring way more questions to the system than keeping them in. If you look at the top 10, is there a team that wouldn't be favored against FSU?

I don't think there is.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I think that taking drama, suspense, and flare for the dramatic into account would bring way more questions to the system than keeping them in. If you look at the top 10, is there a team that wouldn't be favored against FSU?

I don't think there is.

well we will agree to disagree. I think if they win out, they're in...
that being said, they have to win out...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

They get night games because they are the only ACC team anyone can watch without wretching so they get flexed to that spot every week.

I agree they get in if they win out however. Undefeated and a conf champ gets in 99.99% of the time.
Their issue will be playing 4 quarters before they get to a CFB Semi.
Because if they go and lose by 20 the ACC may be a few years between invitations.

FSU has better talent than they've shown on the field this year.
Far too inconsistent from Jameis on down.
They have top 4 talent.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
They get night games because they are the only ACC team anyone can watch without wretching so they get flexed to that spot every week.

I agree they get in if they win out however. Undefeated and a conf champ gets in 99.99% of the time.
Their issue will be playing 4 quarters before they get to a CFB Semi.
Because if they go and lose by 20 the ACC may be a few years between invitations.

FSU has better talent than they've shown on the field this year.
Far too inconsistent from Jameis on down.
They have top 4 talent.

I've said this before, they are really young, and suffered a lot of injuries this season...
hence the inconsistencies. Which isn't unusual in any sport..
the question is, can they win out with those inconsistencies...
we shall see.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I've said this before, they are really young, and suffered a lot of injuries this season...
hence the inconsistencies. Which isn't unusual in any sport..
the question is, can they win out with those inconsistencies...
we shall see.

While that is true and somewhat fair the inconsistencies are coming versus non-ranked teams.
Teams Baylor or TCU beat by 40+.
There really is no excuse for trailing NC State so long or being behind regularly at half time.

A lot of it is just Jameis himself. Fumbles and INTs are wayyyyy up. May be pressure from all the drama finally hitting him.
But the kid is a winner when it counts, no doubt in my mind there.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
While that is true and somewhat fair the inconsistencies are coming versus non-ranked teams.
Teams Baylor or TCU beat by 40+.
There really is no excuse for trailing NC State so long or being behind regularly at half time.

A lot of it is just Jameis himself. Fumbles and INTs are wayyyyy up. May be pressure from all the drama finally hitting him.
But the kid is a winner when it counts, no doubt in my mind there.

If you watch the games, the pressure comes straight up the middle where the freshman center is (he's terrible), the line audibles are bad as well......there are a lot of rushed passes, although I concede that Winston forces some passes as well... not to mention a lot of poor routes by most of his young receivers, although Randolph is going to be really good.... Winston has gotten hit a tremendous amount this year.
Its easy for everyone to take FSU apart without watching them, or watching them a few times.. and I get that, it's a part of college sports..... But I can pinpoint the majority of their problems because I watch all of their games....
That being said.. they have to win, that's the only convincing factor... nothing else matters...
That's why we have a playoff, and hopefully an expanded one in the future...

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
well we will agree to disagree. I think if they win out, they're in...
that being said, they have to win out...
I don't really disagree, I just think that you could make a good case for leaving them out even if they don't have a loss.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if Miss St. loses to Alabama, and they both win out from there. Alabama is SEC champ and seeded at #2-#3 and MSU has one loss to a top 4 team. Do they get shut out? I suppose it would depend on how badly they lost. There's no doubt that a LOT of debate would take place.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I hope AD's are paying attention for future schedules. Playing against quality teams matter.

I'd would also like to see teams that play more away games get the nod over teams that play 8 home games or only schedule neutral field locations to play against a quality non-conference team.

DFWJC

Reaction score
JMO

If they win each by any score they are in.

They've already beaten 3 ranked teams.

FSU's last three games...
Miami..6-3
BC..6-4
Florida..5-3

13-0 (with Conf Title game win) and they are in.
This isn't a computer poll.
The panel will not allow the defending National Champion to go undefeated the next season and not even be able to make it's final 4.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I hope AD's are paying attention for future schedules. Playing against quality teams matter.

I'd would also like to see teams that play more away games get the nod over teams that play 8 home games or only schedule neutral field locations to play against a quality non-conference team.

I think part of the problem is in conference schedule...
most SEC teams don't play anyone outside of conference.... but they play a quality game in conference almost every game...
not to mention the hype put into them by espn, who has a lot invested in them... (TV deal is massive)

but don't get me wrong, the SEC teams are very good.... PAC-10 also has had a very strong year....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Honest question here....and I know it may not be popular:
how do we really know how good TCU and Baylor are?

There have been some decent losses by various conf teams (if you can give them credit at all) but the best win between TCU and Baylor outside of conference is one early season win vs Minnesota.

I am NOT saying they are for sure not real good. I'm just asking an honest question.
How do we really know. What if the Big 12's best team is really only a top 20 level team and not a top 5?

This is why someday a 8 team playoff will be nice. 5 conf champs and 3 at large and here we go. Prove it ACC. Prove it Big 12. prove it...etc.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Honest question here....and I know it may not be popular:
how do we really know how good TCU and Baylor are?

There have been some decent losses by various conf teams (if you can give them credit at all) but the best win between TCU and Baylor outside of conference is one early season win vs Minnesota.

I am NOT saying they are for sure not real good. I'm just asking an honest question.
How do we really know. What if the Big 12's best team is really only a top 20 level team and not a top 5?

This is why someday a 8 team playoff will be nice. 5 conf champs and 3 at large and here we go. Prove it ACC. Prove it Big 12. prove it...etc.

I agree... 8 team playoff... 5 power champs, 3 wildcards.... (hopefully a non-power conference team sneaks in every once in awhile..)