Brees willing to take below market contract

Verdict

Reaction score
It's interesting, I was just talking about Brees earlier today and the hold out deal in 2012 or whatever year it was. So, does this now reset the market for QBs or will people say that Brees is not one of the top QBs in the league?

I don't know. I know this though, you are right. This absolutely gives the Saints a clear advantage in the league. That's a really big deal right there.

$10M difference per year is an advantage. But $10 only buys so much. Proper overall cap management is far more important.

I’m a little bit less concerned about $35m per year on Dak than I am about $20m per year on a marginally performing Tank. Or giving Witten money last year that he just wasn’t worth.
Crawford’s excessive cap hit fits in there too.

I realize not every contract has to be a great one, but a few really bad contracts really starts putting your team in a bind. Dez’ contract was a really bad contract too. You just have to be smart about not over paying too many people.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with the premise of your post, you have no idea what Dak's attitude will be when he is 42.
Of course, but what I said was he is not in the same situation that Brees is in. It's a safe bet that people in different circumstances, and different backgrounds and at different ages will have different attitudes. And it's a safe bet that Dak's attitude at 42 will be different than at 26 - it is for everyone - and you can bet his attitude about money will be different if he has a net worth of $120 million at age 42 than it is at this point with a net worth of $2 million at age 26.

Last edited:
Reactions: G2

Scotman

Reaction score
Comparing Dak to Brees is pointless when talking about current contract situations. But I've said it before, I personally think Dak is making a financial mistake by not taking a team friendlier deal. 25 a year for 3 or 4 years and sell the heck out your team-oriented contract. There's no way he doesn't make that up in endorsements. AND...he would benefit from having more money for the team around him...eventually winning more games. That entire approach would do a lot more for him after his playing career, too. Not to get lost in all of that is the fact the 25 million dollars a year for a few years is life-altering money! If you can't get that and stay wealthy your whole life...another 10 million a year isn't going to help.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Comparing Dak to Brees is pointless when talking about current contract situations. But I've said it before, I personally think Dak is making a financial mistake by not taking a team friendlier deal. 25 a year for 3 or 4 years and sell the heck out your team-oriented contract. There's no way he doesn't make that up in endorsements. AND...he would benefit from having more money for the team around him...eventually winning more games. That entire approach would do a lot more for him after his playing career, too. Not to get lost in all of that is the fact the 25 million dollars a year for a few years is life-altering money! If you can't get that and stay wealthy your whole life...another 10 million a year isn't going to help.
I wouldn't voluntarily take 25-30% less pay than my market value. Would you?

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys have already saved a solid 24 million or so in cap space.

last season, if Dak was extended his cap hit would have been like 26 million. Give or take a few.

Instead his cap hit was 2 million.

So the cowboys have already saved 24 million give or take a few in cap space. By waiting to extend him until this off season.

that additional saved cap space impacts future seasons salary caps because cap savings all carry over from year to year now.

But let’s all disregard that when we discuss how Dak is a greedy A hole who is going to kill the team for years and the front office is completely incompetent.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have been one to rail against Dak thinking he deserves as much as he thinks.

But this Brees angle really isn't applicable here. Brees has made a crap ton of money in contracts, marketing and probably his personal business investments. He's just trying to wind down the last few years of his career here by staying in New Orleans and maybe squeeze out one more run. So of course he's going to give a discount............. a discount allows the Saints to maybe put one more team around him AND by giving a discount, it makes it more likely the Saints will bring him back.

kskboys

Reaction score
What's being missed: Brees hasn't forgotten that the last time he held out for a huge contract, it led to 3 consecutive seasons of 7-9. Suddenly, that extra OL that was needed when someone went down wasn't there. Those FA's needed to shore up weaknesses were unaffordable. And the D was terrible and desperately needed upgrading, and there were no funds.

Snowball effect. And, BTW, Brees was still throwing for 5,000 yards. Brees threw for 5,208 in 2016 as the Saints went 7-9. MUST HAVE D.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have been one to rail against Dak thinking he deserves as much as he thinks.

But this Brees angle really isn't applicable here. Brees has made a crap ton of money in contracts, marketing and probably his personal business investments. He's just trying to wind down the last few years of his career here by staying in New Orleans and maybe squeeze out one more run. So of course he's going to give a discount............. a discount allows the Saints to maybe put one more team around him AND by giving a discount, it makes it more likely the Saints will bring him back.
Yeah, this is his last gasp. He doesn't have much left, and he knows it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Who decides if someone is asking too much?
The parties involved.

And if they can't agree..

an arbiter is assigned in English Tort Law.

But the parties must agree in advance of that.

There is no provision here I believe.

So on it goes.

Yikes.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Don't bother.
If we win these idiots say surrounding talent.
If we lose it is all on Dak.
You point out the obvious...lack of take-aways, awful special teams...and it is stop making excuses.
I have said it before but the team has about 50% knowledgeable fans and 50% complete morons. If that offends anyone, we know the one in which you fit.
It is a split Cowboy Nation.

But know all of us, big fan, small fan, bandwagoneer we all are..

can only invest so much into this team.

Their history of choking at the wrong times has become our identity.

Just ask Stephen A Smith.

Cough choke sigh.

So don't be concerned how some are as fans.

Just enjoy what you like and pop your popcorn.

:popcorn:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Bigamy is illegal, even in Louisiana.

What Brees does have though, is a net worth of about $120 million, and a limit on how many years he has left, so a team friendly deal is easier to concede than for a 26 year old player with a net worth of about $2 million.

Once Dak has his contract I would be surprised if he doesn't work with the team to restructure along the way to allow more cap space. That's so much easier to do once a palyer's financial future is secure.
Who the hell has a net worth of 2 million? Certainly not Dak and his 40 plus million a year in endorsements. Dak, whos done nothing puts Brees to shame in endorsements. Damn, Dak must truly be a great player and have an amazing image to rack up that kind of endorsement money each year. Why cant brees do that?

bahahahahhahahahahha

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who the hell has a net worth of 2 million? Certainly not Dak and his 40 plus million a year in endorsements. Dak, whos done nothing puts Brees to shame in endorsements. Damn, Dak must truly be a great player and have an amazing image to rack up that kind of endorsement money each year. Why cant brees do that?

bahahahahhahahahahha
I'm going by the info on net worth that can be found online. Maybe the numbers quoted are based solely on the football side and not the endorsement side, but regardless it still reflects a huge discrepancy between what Dak is worth and what Brees is worth.

By the way, you haven't paid attention if you haven't seen Brees in commercials.

Last edited:

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

bahahahahhahahahahha

you have no clue what you’re talking about. Show me where Dak made 40M in endorsements last year?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
you have no clue what you’re talking about. Show me where Dak made 40M in endorsements last year?
Brees does well.... not bad for the all time yardage leader in NFL history and a top 3-4 QB for the past 13 years or so, and someone who has a Lombardi... but he isnt making as much as Dak, who cant hold a candle to what Brees has accomplished.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There is no finger pointing anywhere. He has made peanuts and now is the time for him to cash in at market value. No one should fault him for that regardless of how much one would want him to give a team friendly deal.

Yeah, that's BS. There is finger pointing everyday, in every Dak thread.

I hear market value all the time. Well, truth is that you don't know what his market is. The term "Market Value" means what somebody is willing to pay or what a given product would fetch. Since that has yet to be tested, you don't know what Dak's value is on the open market. It's not a given fact that he is worth any stated amount of money until somebody pays for him. Reportedly, the Cowboys have offered him a deal that would pay him at or among the top player in the game. If he doesn't want that deal, then nobody should fault the team for sticking to their guns and using the tools at their disposal to either reach a deal or get him traded.