Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You can’t make a living at it.

But then, there are cases where one talented guy here or there makes a big difference, too. Even if you have to pay a premium to get him in.

When the Eagles signed Alshon Jefferey last year, I don’t remember a lot of people suggesting it was a mistake.

Alshon was a free agent. If Earl was a free agent I think a lot more people would be on board with getting him. Also, Alshon settled for 9m with incentives that brought him up to 14 million potentially (which he didnt reach). Well below the top WRs in the NFL. Earl is a safety who wants more than what other safeties are making, and hes a bit older than Alshon as well. I understand your point, but I think they're different enough scenarios where I'd compare him more to The Ravens getting Weddle. An old safety with a major injury that continued to play great even in a different system on a different team. I think Earl would be the same for you. In fact, there are lot of examples of safeties changing teams and playing the same or better late in their careers. Rod Woodson to the Ravens and then Oakland. Malcolm Jenkins here. Dawkins was really old in Denver, but also still surprisingly effective. I liked Lynch in Denver. Rodney Harrison in NE. Charles Woodson hybrid CB/S in GB.

Come to think of it, the really great safeties rarely drop off a cliff like RBs do. I think this is a really good pickup. You also have to wonder if someone else might get him first. I'd pony up.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You can’t make a living at it.

But then, there are cases where one talented guy here or there makes a big difference, too. Even if you have to pay a premium to get him in.

When the Eagles signed Alshon Jefferey last year, I don’t remember a lot of people suggesting it was a mistake.
I also dont remember a lot of people suggesting his acquisition put them over the top either.

DiResta

Reaction score
All that matters is how many All Pro seasons he'll have the rest of his career. Going into his 9th season, history says it won't be many.
he transforms your secondary
theres still plenty in the tank
aside from the freak leg fracture hes been at the very top of the game and he transforms your defense
it isnt just physical hes smart
hes like Lee, he knows what youre doing or trying to do on offense and he covers weaknesses

the only question for that guy is how much
thats the only reason he isnt in Dallas

DiResta

Reaction score
I also dont remember a lot of people suggesting his acquisition put them over the top either.
he cant win by himself but having an all pro caliber player like the only 2 the Cowboys have had on defense since 2011 is massive
without Lee the defense is just bad
DWare (the other all pro) was the only threat teams had to specifically plan around
i remember the game DWare came back from the neck stinger vs undefeated Saints, he sacked Brees twice winning the game
those guys are worth it

some teams have several, Dallas 1

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He could be the difference in us getting to keep Jason Garrett and having to start from scratch!
All the more reason not to give up future resources for him in trade.

Make Garrett earn it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Can he get us over the Aaron Rodgers hump if we find ourselves in that position? That’s the question.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Who knows how many wins? He’ll make a couple big plays a game we otherwise wouldn’t get. That might mean nothing, or it might mean a postseason berth we’d otherwise miss.

He could be the difference in us getting to keep Jason Garrett and having to start from scratch!

Oh no, you have slipped over to the dark side.

I am just staying neutral on the whole thing because i have no idea what we would give up.

James Washington
Thomas Everett

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I thought they’d get a 3rd as comp if he walks so that’s why they’d only do it for 2nd+
A Comp 3rd is really a 4th and it wouldn't be until 2020 and that is if they lose more FAs than they sign

Not a sure thing by any means and that makes his a value a 5th this year and a 4th next year

JBond

Reaction score
They have been doing well rebuilding the last few years, I hope they dont repeat old mistakes and bring in a old high priced free agent. The youth movement has been looking good.
How good is ET? Right now? I have no idea. Is he a veteran that will help our young players and make major impact plays on the field? If so, sign him. If he can do the first, sign him. If it is the second, and he can not help the young players, nope.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
No reason except age and injury, both of which are creeping up on him.

Yeah, that's the part that gets me. If you're trading for ET, you're going to need to pay him - that's the reason he's leaving Seattle in the first place. So he's going to want to cash in and isn't going to settle for a lowball offer - not that you're in a position to offer one after giving up draft picks to get him.

I think 4 years, 40-50 million is probably the kind of contract you'd be looking at with him. And while you might get your money's worth in 2019, how's he going to play in year 4 when he's 33 years old? Or say injuries catch up to him sooner than we think and he starts declining by year 2 of the deal. Like Dez showed us, physical decline can come fast for athletes when they keep getting hurt.

Normally I hate those kind of big-money deals for aging vets, but man, Thomas is so good and our FS's are so bad that I'm almost tempted to do it.

GenoT

Reaction score
If they are playing to win in ‘18...no. You are right.

But is the Seattle focus to rebuild? (Should be)
What better way to start the rebuild than to hang on to a top-shelf veteran safety while you train low-cost youngsters around him?

If SEA doesn’t believe the 29yo Thomas is worth keeping for at least a few more seasons, why should Dallas believe he is? Or are the Cowboys also “playing to win in ‘18” — a scenario that, even with improvement, most likely won’t include a SB visit?

Bottom-line: ET is gonna want decent-$$ and a multi-year deal no matter who he plays for this coming season.

IMHO, Seattle is fishing.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wouldn't give up a R3 or R4. Why hasn't anyone else esp considering the money to pay?

JBond

Reaction score
Not saying the OP is one of those people, but we have fans who act like we're Earl Thomas away from winning the SB while we have no idea what our passing game is even going to look like with all of the new faces.
I would give a 3rd. Why not? His coach is here. He should be an asset to our young DB group. Heath could pick up some stuff from him also. Teachers on the field are important. Lee.

Number1

Reaction score
Earl's speed is tempting ... but I would not make the trade, this is a young team, keep it that way

Heath at FS and Frazier at SS was on of our best S combos in 2017, played very well down the stretch.

Frankly, Frazier has the best instincts and angles of any S on the team. He's step slow for may taste 4.5, but seems to stay on top of a route

Woods will be in the mix, may even start, but I just don't see the speed or hops to play a true FS. Hard to see him as a dominating box S either. He's an excellent NS and can play FS, or even SS in a pinch. I can see Frazier getting the TEs and Woods the SWRs as snaps adapt to schemes.

Right now I have no idea who the 4th game day S is ... any I'd rather Robinson than the rest of the bunch