Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just read a Rotoworld blurb, and it got me thinking.

-Seattle has apparently made zero progress in extending ET. They don't want to pay him.

-No one in the league was interested in meeting Seattle's asking price for a trade.

-Thomas wanting to play for the Cowboys is about the worst kept secret in pro football.

So Seattle wants him gone, and they're going to lower their asking price to do it. They will still have to be compensated for the "1 year rental" on Thomas they'd be losing, but I wonder if that price could be talked down closer to a 3rd or 4th now rather than the 1st or 2nd they were wanting earlier. And Thomas's desire to play for Dallas will help push away other teams from poking around and driving the trade price upward.

Thoughts?

What makes you think they want him gone? If you have a pro bowl safety at 8 mllion you are very happy.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
No offense, brother, but you’re out of your mind if you don’t think ET is comanding “top-6” S money by AAV, especially if he hits FA and not part of a sign-and-trade (which happen never in the NFL). He will ask for the brinks truck when he hits FA and some team will give it to him.

He’s looking for his final payday, and unless he falls off a cliff, will get something close to Eric Berry money

:hammer:

starfan1

Reaction score
I truly don’t get the boner for this guy. Can he play 1 tech ? He’s not going to make that much a difference in our line up if he can stay healthy.

I like the young guys. ET flourishedfor a couple of reasons 1 because he’s good but also because he was surrounded by a great defense and I don’t see that quality here .

We’re gonna be better but we’re a year out and a space eater out unless price pans out.

I’ll root for the guy if he becomes a cowboy but I hope Jerry don’t pay that big money for him and he saves the pick

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
We shall see. I think if he hits open market, some team like CLE (if Peppers flames out) or a MIA will back up the truck for him. Teams at the cap floor love signing players such as ET to long contracts.

I do agree that analytics is taking hold of the sports world, re:mega contracts for older stars, but we haven’t seen much evidence in football. I’m talking players of the ET ilk etc

Exactly. I creates more excitement and puts more butts in the stadium seats.

Techsass

Reaction score
ET would be a definite plus. 2 games is where my mind was just reading the title, but I don't have any insight or facts to back that up.

I see X. Woods as a long term answer. Heath & Frazier, not so much. More like really good back-ups.

Earl would beat out all 3 of them.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
To come from Seattle hasnt reached a deal with him to saying they dont want to pay him and in the end to state they want him gone is something you have to explain to me once more. You really lost me somewhere in your argumentation chain.

Seattle has been shopping him for months and hasn't discussed an extension with him since before the draft, even though he is currently holding out. That doesn't sound like they want to keep him very bad.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Defense and run the ball will be our gameplan. ET makes our D better instantly thus Dallas needs to go get him.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think 2+ games if everything else goes as planned. If the offense ends up being terrible, having Earl or not won't make a difference. What if Dallas passes on ET and our team looks pretty good in the 10 to 11 win range yet the defense looks suspect going into the playoffs? We will be wishing we had Thomas then.....

Earl Thomas is there for the taking and I don't think a wrong decision can be made either way. There are arguments for either direction. The money isn't a concern for me but a 2nd rd pick is a bit steep. If Dallas can pry him away for a 3rd........go get him!

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I wish they would quit playing hardball with Seattle and just give up the darn 2nd rounder. Both sides win, they get a valuable pick for a valuable player. It's not as if he is not worth it. We will certainly come out on top here in the short run.

We are the only ones who can lose out here imo.
Unless we win the SB, you'll be pissed come draft time.

Hardball a 3rd and a player like Brown.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just read a Rotoworld blurb, and it got me thinking.

-Seattle has apparently made zero progress in extending ET. They don't want to pay him.

-No one in the league was interested in meeting Seattle's asking price for a trade.

-Thomas wanting to play for the Cowboys is about the worst kept secret in pro football.

So Seattle wants him gone, and they're going to lower their asking price to do it. They will still have to be compensated for the "1 year rental" on Thomas they'd be losing, but I wonder if that price could be talked down closer to a 3rd or 4th now rather than the 1st or 2nd they were wanting earlier. And Thomas's desire to play for Dallas will help push away other teams from poking around and driving the trade price upward.

Thoughts?

I think a 3rd round comp pick is unlikely.

Player contracts that netted a 3rd round comp pick in 2018:
  • All average more than the highest paid NFL Safety.

Only four 3rd round comp picks in 2018:

If the Seahawks keep ET for 2018:
  • They most likely get a 4th round comp pick in the 2020 draft.
  • A 4th round comp pick is basically a 5th round pick.
  • The comp pick comes a year later than a pick acquired in a trade his summer.
  • The Seahawks have been shedding payroll...
  • They'll have to pay ET 8.5M despite wanting to move on from him.
  • ET will be a distraction for the team if he stays without a new contract.

Summary:
The Cowboys 5th round pick in 2019 would be worth more than the likely 4th round comp pick in 2020.

The Cowboys 4th round pick in the 2019 draft would be worth more than the best case 3rd round comp pick in 2020.

Techsass

Reaction score
I think 2+ games if everything else goes as planned. If the offense ends up being terrible, having Earl or not won't make a difference. What if Dallas passes on ET and our team looks pretty good in the 10 to 11 win range yet the defense looks suspect going into the playoffs? We will be wishing we had Thomas then.....

Earl Thomas is there for the taking and I don't think a wrong decision can be made either way. There are arguments for either direction. The money isn't a concern for me but a 2nd rd pick is a bit steep. If Dallas can pry him away for a 3rd........go get him!
I think he has at least 2 or 3 more very productive seasons left in his tank. When I look at what we've had at safety, years 3 & 4 should still be acceptable.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No offense, brother, but you’re out of your mind if you don’t think ET is comanding “top-6” S money by AAV, especially if he hits FA and not part of a sign-and-trade (which happen never in the NFL). He will ask for the brinks truck when he hits FA and some team will give it to him.

He’s looking for his final payday, and unless he falls off a cliff, will get something close to Eric Berry money
It's not top 6 S money, it's top 6 overall free agent. Comp picks dont take into position it's strictly based off AAV.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It's not top 6 S money, it's top 6 overall free agent. Comp picks dont take into position it's strictly based off AAV.
I had thought that, but didn’t edit. I still don’t see how ET, on an open market, isn’t landing Top-6 FA money. I haven’t looked at the other FAs, but I don’t think I’m going too far out on a limb to assume that ET would command one of the larger contracts if he hits FA.

And that is neither an endorsement nor decry against him coming here.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Well considering Kris Richard was with the Seahawks and was their defensive coordinator, I am pretty sure he had some internal insight prior to his exit. In saying this, the Cowboys I am sure have as much info on what the Seahawks organization was thinking up to Richard's exit at this point.

The Cowboys are not allowed to talk about any player on another teams roster but boy is the media outright discussing this. The player comes outright and expresses his wish in person to play for the Cowboys organization right after defeating us. Weeks before that game the media is reporting how the Legion of Boom is in combustion mode and the offseason did not show the reports were erroneous by any means as the only star member's left of that squad are Earl Thomas and Bobby Wagner. Apparently the overall beef was between the both of them.

Then you get the Cowboys outright admitting to attempting a trade during the draft which didn't work out. Then you get Cliff Avril coughing up ET's dream of playing for us. Now Broaddus is talking about how the door is far from shut on us pursuing ET. Well, there is substance to this whole thing. His former coach took an exit and is now here and ET say's he wants a new deal and won't come to camp.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I had thought that, but didn’t edit. I still don’t see how ET, on an open market, isn’t landing Top-6 FA money. I haven’t looked at the other FAs, but I don’t think I’d have to go too far out on a limb to assume that ET would command one of the larger contracts

He's a safety so I dont see any scenario where he gets top 6 FA money. Vacarro, Reid, and Boston are still on the market.

Let's say Earl gets $12M AAV, which is probably his ceiling. That would have been the 12th highest AAV this offseason. Crazy things have happened but I think it is very unlikely. Maybe we'll see

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He's a safety so I dont see any scenario where he gets top 6 FA money. Vacarro, Reid, and Boston are still on the market.

Let's say Earl gets $12M AAV, which is probably his ceiling. That would have been the 12th highest AAV this offseason. Crazy things have happened but I think it is very unlikely. Maybe we'll see
Touché, amigo. A world where ET leaves and signs on an open market and doesn’t land a third rd comp pick is absurd to me, yet there’s dem facts in your post :)

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Touché, amigo. A world where ET leaves and signs on an open market and doesn’t land a third rd comp pick is absurd to me, yet there’s dem facts in your post :)
Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that the Seahawks will lower their price from a 2nd to a 3rd? Wishful thinking of sorts. Idk. We will see.