Video: Broaddus believes Earl will be a Cowboy **merged**

kskboys

Reaction score
To be fair, Hamlin on his very best day in his prime was 50% of the player Thomas is today. As a S, there's no reason why Earl can't be an elite player for 2 more years and very good S in the 3rd-4th years.
No reason except age and injury, both of which are creeping up on him.

GenoT

Reaction score
I just read a Rotoworld blurb, and it got me thinking.

-Seattle has apparently made zero progress in extending ET. They don't want to pay him.

-No one in the league was interested in meeting Seattle's asking price for a trade.

-Thomas wanting to play for the Cowboys is about the worst kept secret in pro football.

So Seattle wants him gone, and they're going to lower their asking price to do it. They will still have to be compensated for the "1 year rental" on Thomas they'd be losing, but I wonder if that price could be talked down closer to a 3rd or 4th now rather than the 1st or 2nd they were wanting earlier. And Thomas's desire to play for Dallas will help push away other teams from poking around and driving the trade price upward.

Thoughts?
Seems to me that, unless/until SEA addresses their loss of Kam C, they’re not gonna be so willing to give up on ET staying put.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Thomas is good. There ain't no denying that. I just can't see him as a high impact player that would add more than 1 win to our total. Ronnie Lott, he ain't.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Thomas is good. There ain't no denying that. I just can't see him as a high impact player that would add more than 1 win to our total. Ronnie Lott, he ain't.
He ain’t Lott, but he’s pretty fantastic, and if LVE comes in and cements the MLB (a lot to ask from the rook), absolutely can Thomas be a difference maker (“high impact player”) for our franchise and our dark hole abyss at S.

With that said, I don’t know that I would pay him 12-13M a year. Not at the expense of Tank.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
its a bad solution to a horrible problem. ET is not going to be long term. We are not 1 or even 2 seasons away from the SB, how do you justify paying him to play a short time and we get nothing out of it? Just selling his jersey?

Fans like this are why JJ is thrilled. Making money with an average product.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
If you could be certain that Thomas would add 2 wins to the record it would be a no-brainer, you go after him aggressively. But there's absolutely no way of knowing that. I would love to have him at the right price, I do think he would be a significant upgrade over what we have. But the price, both compensation to Seattle and Thomas' contract, would have to be reasonable. I was holding out faint hope until I heard about Chancellor retiring, I doubt Seattle wants to go that thin at safety.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its a bad solution to a horrible problem. ET is not going to be long term. We are not 1 or even 2 seasons away from the SB, how do you justify paying him to play a short time and we get nothing out of it? Just selling his jersey?

Fans like this are why JJ is thrilled. Making money with an average product.

This is a great post.

DiResta

Reaction score
he was all pro in 2011,2012,2013,2014, and 2017
all pro
forget the pro bowl
hes great

how many other all pro defensive players have the Cowboys had since 2011?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
A player is over-qualified to play for the Cowboys if they have championship experience unless they were a scrub (e.g. Christine Michael).

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
No way he will be worth the cost- both in terms of the salary cap and draft pick(s).

If he adds any wins at all, you can subtract from that number the losses created by fewer salary cap dollars and fewer draft picks.

The Cowboys are not one safety away from the promised land.

T-RO

Reaction score
Seems to me that, unless/until SEA addresses their loss of Kam C, they’re not gonna be so willing to give up on ET staying put.

If they are playing to win in ‘18...no. You are right.

But is the Seattle focus to rebuild? (Should be)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not saying the OP is one of those people, but we have fans who act like we're Earl Thomas away from winning the SB while we have no idea what our passing game is even going to look like with all of the new faces.
The state of the team does not really dictate going for that "one guy". Trade a premium pick for a non-impact player, you might want it back and may need it.

I get that we all want a good safety again, but unless it is a player in their prime instead of the downside, I find it hard to justify the acquisition being viewed as an over the top move. I don't have any issues playing it cool.

Techsass

Reaction score
Just figured I ought to clarify where I stand on getting ET. I think he'd be one of our best players, but I wouldn't pull the trigger.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The state of the team does not really dictate going for that "one guy". Trade a premium pick for a non-impact player, you might want it back and may need it.

I get that we all want a good safety again, but unless it is a player in their prime instead of the downside, I find it hard to justify the acquisition being viewed as an over the top move. I don't have any issues playing it cool.
If Dak is real deal, ET would in fact be a difference maker and put us over the top.

Still, I'm not paying him 12M if it means losing a 10-14 sack end.

glimmerman

Reaction score
May help the secondary and solidify the position of safety but no guarantee he personally changes any games.