Broaddus: Trade Rumor

jday

Reaction score
The fact you think 4th or 5th corners are bringing quality starting running backs is telling in two ways.

1) You are implicitly acknowledging my point that corners are more valuable.

2) You are implicitly acknowledging that starting running backs are readily available speaking to how fungible the position is.

I suppose if you put every team's backfield and secondary on equal footing, you could field those acknowledgements...but, at face value, the Cowboys talent is lacking compared to most backfields whereas their secondary at first glance (and a whole lot of wishful thinking) look's to be stacked. And, yes, there are teams with starting quality backup rbs that could potentially use one of our 4th or 5th corners as a 3rd or possibly even 2nd corner.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing It's for Wilcox....with the idea of moving him to SS. Rumored team think the Cowboys are miss using him....Which I can see their point. Eventually Bryon Jones is gonna take Wilcox's starting role.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Broaddus has a scout friend that he keeps in contact with from Cleveland that he always mentions. I bet it's the Browns offering Terance West or Isiah Crowell for a Corner. Plus they just drafted Duke Johnson so I could see them letting Crowell or West go in a deal.

It would be West, Johnson is injured and Crowell is the starter. The Browns are not happy with West his attitude and weight.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Definitely not. You don't trade talented, young guys at an impact position that are just coming into their own for a RB.

I want 4 guys at CB, or hybrid players that can also play S or LB in certain packages, that can cover. I also want Byron to play a position he's best at in the future, possibly Safety, and with Carr most likely walking next season, trading young guys with potential at CB this season pretty much reduces him to playing CB out of necessity next year.

I'm also inclined to think Claiborne will take a more incentive based "prove it" contract if he plays well this season. If him and Patmon turn out to be capable corners, it'd prove invaluable and give us a lot more options in the draft/offseason.

I certainly don't want to take the risk of uncertainty at CB/secondary and thereby "pass defense" right as we start developing a pass rush with legitimate potential.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He could play himself into a one year deal. I don't think any team is going to give him the long term contract he will want if he has a good season so he may settle for a one year deal to prove he is the real deal. That has always been the only way I can see him on the roster for the 2016 season.

maybe, but considering the investment we have in Scandrick financially and then Jones draft pick wise, it would be a poor decision to do a 1 year show me deal here.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
From what I'm hearing It's for Wilcox....with the idea of moving him to SS. Rumored team think the Cowboys are miss using him....Which I can see their point. Eventually Bryon Jones is gonna take Wilcox's starting role.

Well if this is true, then the trade isn't likely to happen, because clearly if the Cowboys see Jones as a CB, then they have no replacement for Wilcox at FS. If they see Jones as a FS, then it's likely Wilcox eventually takes Barry Church's job full time, if not immediately on passing downs.

kevm3

Reaction score
How long until Byron Jones turns into the next Mo Claiborne with people trashing him when he doesn't turn out to be a super shut down corner in his first year? CBs take time to develop. Scandrick didn't really start settling in until he got that new contract. I'd rather not trade away CB depth for an RB. Get one of the FAs and draft an RB next year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So did a lot of other teams. In fact, most had him as their #1 defensive player on their boards.

Irrelevant. If you understand the position and know what it takes to succeed, it does not matter.

How on earth did Darrelle Revis last until he did?

So NFL teams never fall victim to collective stupidity?

We just made the mistake of not only overvaluing the prospect, but paying a premium price to trade up to get them.

And this is after giving Carr a contract that is still an albatross around our neck.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Tom Brady says hello.

More successful QBs are chosen at the top the first than in the later rounds.

More of the "great" CBs are chosen outside of the top 10 than not.

Try again.

I am actually a little disappointed you tried this feeble stab.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More successful QBs are chosen at the top the first than in the later rounds.

More of the "great" CBs are chosen outside of the top 10 than not.

Try again.

I am actually a little disappointed you tried this feeble stab.

It's late. I blame Idgit for keeping me up.

Eddie

Reaction score
I'm sure not interested in trading valuable depth for future draft picks. That's not what a championship contender does. If anything, we trade future picks to other teams to put us over the hump!

Er .... we've been trading future draft picks to other teams for the past 20 years. How many Super Bowls have we won since 1996???

dallasdave

Reaction score
Irrelevant. If you understand the position and know what it takes to succeed, it does not matter.

How on earth did Darrelle Revis last until he did?

So NFL teams never fall victim to collective stupidity?

We just made the mistake of not only overvaluing the prospect, but paying a premium price to trade up to get them.

And this is after giving Carr a contract that is still an albatross around our neck.

:clap: