Broadus thinks Vander Esch will be the pick

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can already tell you’ll be one of those (fans) that will root against LVE because you don’t like him :facepalm:
the linebacker draft class is down this year. No one is elite..but their are some good players.LVE and Evans appear to be the top 2..Smith gets washed out and eaten alive by olinemen. Fast LB,but over runs the play and his tackling technique isn't great. Count me as not sold.

DanA

Reaction score
the linebacker draft class is down this year. No one is elite..but their are some good players.LVE and Evans appear to be the top 2..Smith gets washed out and eaten alive by olinemen. Fast LB,but over runs the play and his tackling technique isn't great. Count me as not sold.

Roquin Smith made 137 tackles this year and was the 2nd highest rated LB in coverage. I agree he gets thrown around to much and if you asked him to play MIKE he's gonna struggle. But he's a 4.51 forty guy so why not get him to drop a little weight and play box safety........to me that's when he becomes worth pick 19. There's no way I see LVE succeeding in his first couple of years. There's too many technical flaws. Maybe by his 5th year he'll have worked it out but what's the point in that, it's a 4/5 year contract.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Roquin Smith made 137 tackles this year and was the 2nd highest rated LB in coverage. I agree he gets thrown around to much and if you asked him to play MIKE he's gonna struggle. But he's a 4.51 forty guy so why not get him to drop a little weight and play box safety........to me that's when he becomes worth pick 19. There's no way I see LVE succeeding in his first couple of years. There's too many technical flaws. Maybe by his 5th year he'll have worked it out but what's the point in that, it's a 4/5 year contract.
Shhh, you're making too much sense about LVE. You're going to hurt many feelings around here.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Furthermore, I have to say this. How often is Broadus accurate? Honestly, my golf swing is more accurate than him, and I suck at golf. Besides, I'll take Rashaan Evans any day.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Taco wasn’t a bad choice. Keep watching. He’s a better prospect than the leading sack artist last year was coming out, but ok.

I liked Taco, but I also wanted Jordan Willis in round 3 (but I did like the CB we got instead). For me though, I just think that Evans would be better than the player that Broadus thinks we might be getting.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I liked Taco, but I also wanted Jordan Willis in round 3 (but I did like the CB we got instead). For me though, I just think that Evans would be better than the player that Broadus thinks we might be getting.
Evans would be good too but I don’t know about his pass defense. As a run stopper I have no questions

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Evans would be good too but I don’t know about his pass defense. As a run stopper I have no questions

Well, here's my take, one of our big problems in this division is the fact that we're going to be facing tough run offenses. Philadelphia has a tough running game with Blount and Ajayi. I expect the Giants to get Barkley (unless, by some miracle, the Browns get him), and then there's the Commanders. So, I think to counter them, we need to be able to stuff the run and be physical in the run defense. Evans, like you said, would be the player to do that for us. As for his pass defense, I'm actually not too worried about that. If anything, I think his ability to dart between the oline might make him more useful in blitzes. I think he'd pick up the pass defense in time, but he looks like a player capable of picking that up over time. But, given our division, I think the first order of business is to stifle the run and attack the QB. That's where Evans comes in.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Well, here's my take, one of our big problems in this division is the fact that we're going to be facing tough run offenses. Philadelphia has a tough running game with Blount and Ajayi. I expect the Giants to get Barkley (unless, by some miracle, the Browns get him), and then there's the Commanders. So, I think to counter them, we need to be able to stuff the run and be physical in the run defense. Evans, like you said, would be the player to do that for us. As for his pass defense, I'm actually not too worried about that. If anything, I think his ability to dart between the oline might make him more useful in blitzes. I think he'd pick up the pass defense in time, but he looks like a player capable of picking that up over time. But, given our division, I think the first order of business is to stifle the run and attack the QB. That's where Evans comes in.
My thing is I don’t think I’ve ever seen him drop back in the centerfield and we do that a lot with marenli. LVE has done it a lot in Boise st though. I’ll let Dallas make the call on that because I’m pretty sure both will be available at 19

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My thing is I don’t think I’ve ever seen him drop back in the centerfield and we do that a lot with marenli. LVE has done it a lot in Boise st though. I’ll let Dallas make the call on that because I’m pretty sure both will be available at 19

I don't doubt that LVE will be good. I'll also say this though. Since when does Nick Saban have the ILB drop into coverage? I don't think that would be a knock on Evans.

According to this: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/rashaan-evans?id=2560073, he handles the running backs running routes nicely. Essentially, he'd help limit the field in the passing game to just the receivers. I think that's as good as covering a TE which Byron Jones is good at.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
if you are referring to him getting turned around on a couple of plays or hooked inside
i guess you havent watched top 10 pick Roquan Smith get ragdolled

i will say in this draft the position is overhyped but he has great upside and if Dallas wants him they will probably have to do it at 19.
i see you posted this video several times calling him Barbie doll
thats just silly
i see guards pulling and momentum stops when they try to block him
he can be coached to keep his head up more and use his 33+" arm length to keep them from getting into his chest
he flashes inside but needs more control
dude is strong and will get better

theres plenty of bad film on Evans or Edmunds too if you look

the upside for Esch is very high

This is 100% correct.
LVE played 8 on 8 football in a small town in Idaho. He walked on to Boise State and started 1 year, and was Defensive Player of the Year in the conference.
His only negative is his inexperience. His ceiling is sky high!
If he doesn't start from day 1, he will be a starter by the middle of the season and will be a stud for many years in the NFL.
As one poster said in another thread, if LVE played for Alabama this past year, we'd be talking about him being taken in the Top 10.
Armchair draft gurus are so much smarter than the NFL men that make their living at this.....:facepalm:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't doubt that LVE will be good. I'll also say this though. Since when does Nick Saban have the ILB drop into coverage? I don't think that would be a knock on Evans.

According to this: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/rashaan-evans?id=2560073, he handles the running backs running routes nicely. Essentially, he'd help limit the field in the passing game to just the receivers. I think that's as good as covering a TE which Byron Jones is good at.

And I'll go one step further. if we don't get Evans, I've got a bad feeling about who will.

DiResta

Reaction score
I could give a rat's behind about Roquan Smith. The dude gets pancaked by opposing Olinemen in between the Tackles. Evans and Edmunds have their weak spots, too, even though Edmunds is very talented. As for you stating that Vander Esch is strong? You call benching #225 20 times is strong for a MLB? Heck, even 6'6" TE Mike Gesicki benched more with 22 reps and ran the 40 much faster (4.54) compared to LVE (4.65). How is LVE going to handle/cover a stronger and faster TE?
please
theres more to strength than bench press and for that matter long arms are a disadvantage with free weight
the guy is 6'4" and could walk around at 260lbs. hes also quick for that size. that mass and length used as leverage is the strength used when a guy is trying to get under you and lift you off the ground by your shoulderpads
the bench is a good way to measure upper body strength and expose weakness but football isnt played like d&d with dice and a stat card
a big guy like that that can move and run with instinct can be a huge force in the middle

thats where Dallas is weak btw
Esch with a 1tech upgrade and Lee doing Lee stuff is exactly what they need.

how do defensive players cover faster offensive players? if only there was some scheme to counter it...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
LBer at 19 would be a bad pick in so many ways. The most glaring would be the LBer would be on the sidelines most of the time as the primary Lbers are going to be Lee and Smith.

DanA

Reaction score
please
theres more to strength than bench press and for that matter long arms are a disadvantage with free weight
the guy is 6'4" and could walk around at 260lbs. hes also quick for that size. that mass and length used as leverage is the strength used when a guy is trying to get under you and lift you off the ground by your shoulderpads
the bench is a good way to measure upper body strength and expose weakness but football isnt played like d&d with dice and a stat card
a big guy like that that can move and run with instinct can be a huge force in the middle

thats where Dallas is weak btw
Esch with a 1tech upgrade and Lee doing Lee stuff is exactly what they need.

how do defensive players cover faster offensive players? if only there was some scheme to counter it...

Sean Lee: 4.60 forty (Pro-day)
Jaylon Smith: Apparently runs in the 4.5's
Jeff Heath: 4.48 forty (Pro-day)
Chidobe Awuzie: 4.43 (Combine)
Byron Jones: 4.40 (Pro day)
Xavier Woods: 4.54 (Combine)
Kavon Fraizer: 4.48 (Pro day)
Jordan Lewis: 4.54 (Combine)

So we're not exactly slugs on the defensive side of the ball. And I'd agree with you that the bench press figure is a bit irrelevant but show me some plays where Vander Esch uses his length to hold off linemen or a TE and make a tackle. He can make a tackle in space and blitz okay, but I want our MIKE to get off blocks and clear a path to keep Lee and Jaylon clean. Vander Esch does not do this.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
NOW I LIKE YOUR THINKING! Convert him to a box safety. Didn't we do that with Darren Woodson?