News: BTB: Assigning blame to every one of Dak Prescott's interceptions from the 2022 season

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So to be clear, the smart play on 3rd and 10 is always force the ball into high risk, double coverage situation instead of just sailing one out of bounds and punting?
Dude has even argued that there is essentially no difference between throwing an INT and punting. I mean what's 40-50 yards of field position between friends. I think he is mistaking what he sees playing Madden with real football.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I didn't say the word "always." If you choose to consistently throw the ball away on third down, you have no chance to win. Nobody is ever open on third and long, you have to force it.

Punting is loser football.
What's your record in Madden when you do this?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Ive never seen an article like this before. I wonder why??? could it be........ off season, write a Cowboys article that will garner attention?
Do the rest of the QBs in the league. Is Dak the only one who had the oline get torched on a play and put pressure in the QBs face? Id Dak the only one that has receivers run a bad route?

I dont give a darn about this garbage. Dak either gets it done, or he doesnt.Its that simple.
Dak has shown he can play at an MVP level, he just needs to do it in the playoffs.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Unless the receiver runs the wrong route or the ball is tipped ...... It's the QB's fault ....... That does not change if it's Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, Ryan Leaf, Carson Wentz, Tony Romo or Dak Prescott.

Sorry if that bothers some.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Dude has even argued that there is essentially no difference between throwing an INT and punting. I mean what's 40-50 yards of field position between friends. I think he is mistaking what he sees playing Madden with real football.
Because there isn't. A third-down incompletion followed by a punt has an average EPA of -1.3. Average deep (35 yards) interceptions are EPA of -1.5. So anything 15-20 yards downfield is going to be around -2. Mathematically, there is very little difference, especially when you're only throwing an INT (worst-case scenario) less than 1 in every 10 attempts.

It's not always 45-50 yards of field position. If you have 3rd and 10 at your own 35 and throw an INT at midfield, it's more like 25 yards. That difference isn't at all worth being conservative on third down.

I haven't played Madden in like a decade so 0-2 with that barb.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ive never seen an article like this before. I wonder why??? could it be........ off season, write a Cowboys article that will garner attention?
Do the rest of the QBs in the league. Is Dak the only one who had the oline get torched on a play and put pressure in the QBs face? Id Dak the only one that has receivers run a bad route?

I dont give a darn about this garbage. Dak either gets it done, or he doesnt.Its that simple.
Dak has shown he can play at an MVP level, he just needs to do it in the playoffs.
Of course that's why.

But you are correct.. Dak needs to elevate his play in the playoffs plain and simple. He did it his first two stints in the playoffs in 2016 and 2018 and you cannot dispute that he was at the top of his game against Tampa last season in the WC game. But the 49ers have had our number the last couple of years, especially that defense.. The good news is that our defense is now on the same level as theirs and have risen to match their physicality. Except at the receiver position. This team needs a Dez type to win contested balls against that secondary. Their front seven is good and is GOING to keep Dak under duress. That means he's going to have to get rid of the ball and trust his receivers. Other than Lamb he really didn't have a guy he could go to in those situations. In 2021 the Niners beat us up. In 2022 they couldn't beat us up (though they tried) but our inability to win on the outside let them smother our offense. And without Pollard a gimped up Zeke offered no help in the running game. And Davis' whiffs in pass pro scared the coaches out of playing him. Dak needed to be Mississippi State Bulldog Dak in that game.. He needed to run it 12-15 times and keep the chains moving and punch it in when we got down close. Not that Kellen Moore would have ever called the game that way. But that's what we needed. With some of the really good secondaries we will face this season, I hope McCarthy and Co. are not shy about asking Dak to use his legs to give the defense a little extra to think about.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The offense last year relied more on Daks arm in years past and the result was to lead the league in interceptions. That’s just the reality of the situation. After 7 years of this experiment this is who Dak is. A middle of the road QB who is limited in what he can do. Needs a really dynamic running and passing game. One that gets the ball out of Daks hand and puts it in the hands of playmakers. Pollard has a bit of that and Lamb has some of that ability. Overall however there isn’t a guy on the Cowboys offense that tips the scales for us.

Jarntt

Reaction score
As a Cowboy fan it is embarrassing to read the constant excuses people make for his interceptions last year. Of course there were throws that shouldn't have been intercepted. Every team can do that to try and excuse their QB every year but only one added up to so many per game last year. Only one person threw the ball and the QB is responsible for reading the landscape before throwing it. Also, there were many passes that could have been intercepted that weren't. The fact that this keeps coming up over and over just proves that even those making the excuses know there was a huge problem last year and feel the need to deflect. Based on his time in the league, last year seems like an aberration with regards to interceptions. If we want to be positive let's focus on that instead of pretending it wasn't a HUGE problem last year. He needs to do a better job this season with protecting the Football and not making the throws that lead to teh whole discussion of who is at fault in the first place.

Sydla

Reaction score
I didn't say the word "always." If you choose to consistently throw the ball away on third down, you have no chance to win. Nobody is ever open on third and long, you have to force it.

Punting is loser football.
Except the idea that no one is ever open on 3rd down is false.

You don't force the ball consistently into bad situations. It results in bad plays.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Except the idea that no one is ever open on 3rd down is false.

You don't force the ball consistently into bad situations. It results in bad plays.
Nobody is open on third-and-long unless you beat a blitz because teams are just sitting in 7-man coverages.

It results in a bad play ~7% of the time. It's not the difference between winning and losing, and the conservative approach is a death sentence. You cannot win that way.

Mahomes threw 6 third-down interceptions too.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nobody is open on third-and-long unless you beat a blitz because teams are just sitting in 7-man coverages.

It results in a bad play ~7% of the time. It's not the difference between winning and losing, and the conservative approach is a death sentence. You cannot win that way.

Mahomes threw 6 third-down interceptions too.
LOL, so nobody is ever open on third downs. Like ever.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Disagree with what?

That the 2nd interception in the San Fran game wasn't Dak's fault?
2nd pick was tipped for starters. It was blamed on bad play calling. The kicker had also missed an extra point and they were refusing to let him try a FG. Had already gone for it on 4th down in fg range.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your lust for hyperbole is fun, but again, that's not what I said.
You just said nobody is open on third and long unless you beat a blitz as teams sit in 7 man coverages.

I can only go by the words you put on this website.

Are you saying that a guy can't get open against a 7 man coverage, like ever?

Sydla

Reaction score
2nd pick was tipped for starters. It was blamed on bad play calling. The kicker had also missed an extra point and they were refusing to let him try a FG. Had already gone for it on 4th down in fg range.
Why do you think it being tipped changes the situation?

It was tipped by a defender who instead of covering Schultz on the wheel route down the sideline, "cheated" by watching Dak's eyes and his stare down of Lamb. That interception was Dak's fault. He just focused on Lamb and when Lamb broke, Ward just stepped in and deflected the pass into Warner's hands.

Again, the play call might have been bad but the reality is Dak is the QB and he doesn't have to force it into bad spots. He took the snap, stared down Lamb the entire time and allowed another defender to read his eyes and step in and make a play. That's on Dak. Not Moore.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You just said nobody is open on third and long unless you beat a blitz as teams sit in 7 man coverages.

I can only go by the words you put on this website.

Are you saying that a guy can't get open against a 7 man coverage, like ever?
Not on third and long they don't.

There's the occasional blown assignment or whatever, but those are immaterial to the point.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Folks, is the goal here to make this forum an echo chamber? Because this right here is how you build an echo chamber.
I dont know do you see peoples opinions on Dak as reasonable if they are not your opinion? is this comming across in your reply's? or do you partake in the "You're dumb if you think Dak is good" take..one is no worse than the other.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
Every Cowboys forum I've ever been a part of dating back to the old BBS boards in the late 80's has been obsessed with the QB of the team. They campaigned for Walsh over Aikman and then Beurlein over Aikman.. In the mid 90's they debated whether Troy was as good as Favre or Young.. Then in the late 90's they couldn't wait for him to retire. In the early 2000s .. well that whole thing was a mess so there really was nobody to be obsessed about. But then along comes Romo and the cycle starts anew on a different platform but the same crap. In today's world with so much more information out there and so many more folks with access to a keyboard it's not surprise that it just keeps spiraling. But it is what it is.. and it aint goin nowhere. Whoever replaces Dak when the time comes will get the same treatment.

So that's a long winded way of saying "meh..."
Yeah, there were no forums in the late 80's.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't quite agree with all of the assessments here. I think on some of the ones where they blame the receiver (like Gallup in the San Fran playoff game), Prescott deserves at least half blame. Gallup was covered. Yes, he could have taken his route back toward the sideline and Prescott, but 1) we don't know if that's what he was asked to do and 2) even if he did, the coverage was good and the ball shouldn't have been thrown to Gallup.

I think there are three where it's 100 percent clearly either the fault of a receiver or an offensive lineman and a few more where it may have been the fault of the receiver based on route expectation, such as when Lamb opted to go deeper with his route instead of flattening it out in front of the safety. I'd give Dak blame on at least 10 of 17 because on some of those where this writer blames the receivers or the play-calling, part of the QB's job is to make the right read based on how the play unfolds or right decision to protect the ball, even if that means pulling it down and running with it.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah, there were no forums in the late 80's.
Sorry mate but just because you didn't know about them doesn't mean they didn't exist. Are you one of those people who thinks the Internet was invented in the 90's by Al Gore?