News: BTB: Assigning blame to every one of Dak Prescott's interceptions from the 2022 season

blueblood70

Reaction score
Every Cowboys forum I've ever been a part of dating back to the old BBS boards in the late 80's has been obsessed with the QB of the team. They campaigned for Walsh over Aikman and then Beurlein over Aikman.. In the mid 90's they debated whether Troy was as good as Favre or Young.. Then in the late 90's they couldn't wait for him to retire. In the early 2000s .. well that whole thing was a mess so there really was nobody to be obsessed about. But then along comes Romo and the cycle starts anew on a different platform but the same crap. In today's world with so much more information out there and so many more folks with access to a keyboard it's not surprise that it just keeps spiraling. But it is what it is.. and it aint goin nowhere. Whoever replaces Dak when the time comes will get the same treatment.

So that's a long winded way of saying "meh..."
:hammer:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Every Cowboys forum I've ever been a part of dating back to the old BBS boards in the late 80's has been obsessed with the QB of the team. They campaigned for Walsh over Aikman and then Beurlein over Aikman.. In the mid 90's they debated whether Troy was as good as Favre or Young.. Then in the late 90's they couldn't wait for him to retire. In the early 2000s .. well that whole thing was a mess so there really was nobody to be obsessed about. But then along comes Romo and the cycle starts anew on a different platform but the same crap. In today's world with so much more information out there and so many more folks with access to a keyboard it's not surprise that it just keeps spiraling. But it is what it is.. and it aint goin nowhere. Whoever replaces Dak when the time comes will get the same treatment.

:bow:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't know that I've seen a lot of people having a problem admitting that Dak had a poor game and that if he'd had a good game Dallas would have been going to Philly the following week and not San Fran. We've seen the pattern of Kellen Moore's high flying offense getting neutered by good defenses on more than one occasion. You know me, I have never been a big Moore fan and defenses citing "we knew what plays they were going to run" as the reason why they stopped the Cowboys started with Garrett and just continued with Moore. I won't get into the weeds about how better DCs figured out how to manipulate us into calling what THEY wanted us to run in key situations but that's the gist of it. That's why I'm cool with Moore being gone and McCarthy taking over. Removing that predictability will be key for this team to make any sort of deep playoff run. Every offense that has ever been run is easier to stop when you know the plays. Doesn't mean you can do it because it also requires talent and some defense don't have enough.. but a good talented defense and a smart DC who can decipher the other team's situational playsheet is just a HUGE advantage and it has bitten the Cowboys in the hiney for going on 20 years. This year will be the first time since Parcells left down that I DON'T think that will be the case.
:hammer:

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I do not blame the receivers for interceptions unless the ball bounces off their hands or its a timing throw and the QB is throwing to a spot (Dak doesn't do these much). The main reason is Dak can throw the ball away or pull it and run if the guys aren't running things correctly. But when you see defenders between you and brown and chunk up the ball well that INT is on you, pick #2. It would help if the receivers would attack the ball but they werent last year and as the QB you gotta recognize their inability or unwillingness to do so and take less chances. That's why I loved early Dez, dude fought hard for the rock, Cd does too.
CD twice atleast lastyear didnt cross rhe safety making them easy pics, those are basic mistakes , I am no Dak defender but receivers had fair share of blame last year , atleast 3 balls went to DBs after hitting receiver hands .

if you read the analysis , there were fair share of Dak faults too, counting some of the near ints ( pick 6 - even worse after a missed pick 6 , dak did the same and ended with pick 6 or close )

But as long as these are exceptions and not the norm we can have a chance.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CD twice atleast lastyear didnt cross rhe safety making them easy pics, those are basic mistakes , I am no Dak defender but receivers had fair share of blame last year , atleast 3 balls went to DBs after hitting receiver hands .

if you read the analysis , there were fair share of Dak faults too, counting some of the near ints ( pick 6 - even worse after a missed pick 6 , dak did the same and ended with pick 6 or close )

But as long as these are exceptions and not the norm we can have a chance.
Yea I haven't had time to watch them all. Watched the 1st 3 and basically said how i'd score them. If the QB throws into heavy traffic unless that ball is perfect I count it against the QB even if the wr failed to fight for position etc. Thats just me, some will say the receivers fault for being lazy but there's no guarantee he catches the ball. Better to throw it away and live for another day in some cases.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't know that I've seen a lot of people having a problem admitting that Dak had a poor game and that if he'd had a good game Dallas would have been going to Philly the following week and not San Fran. We've seen the pattern of Kellen Moore's high flying offense getting neutered by good defenses on more than one occasion. You know me, I have never been a big Moore fan and defenses citing "we knew what plays they were going to run" as the reason why they stopped the Cowboys started with Garrett and just continued with Moore. I won't get into the weeds about how better DCs figured out how to manipulate us into calling what THEY wanted us to run in key situations but that's the gist of it. That's why I'm cool with Moore being gone and McCarthy taking over. Removing that predictability will be key for this team to make any sort of deep playoff run. Every offense that has ever been run is easier to stop when you know the plays. Doesn't mean you can do it because it also requires talent and some defense don't have enough.. but a good talented defense and a smart DC who can decipher the other team's situational playsheet is just a HUGE advantage and it has bitten the Cowboys in the hiney for going on 20 years. This year will be the first time since Parcells left down that I DON'T think that will be the case.
The largest section of predictability was running Zeke. Where he always ran was predictable and them trying to establish Zeke was predictable.

Dont think it goes unoticed that you have no problem laying blame with Moore and Dak, and never a peep about your hero Zeke bogging down the offense or having a bad game. Which was a pretty much MOST games and just about EVERY big game the last 4 years for him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yea I haven't had time to watch them all. Watched the 1st 3 and basically said how i'd score them. If the QB throws into heavy traffic unless that ball is perfect I count it against the QB even if the wr failed to fight for position etc. Thats just me, some will say the receivers fault for being lazy but there's no guarantee he catches the ball. Better to throw it away and live for another day in some cases.
Yep, thats just you.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The largest section of predictability was running Zeke. Where he always ran was predictable and them trying to establish Zeke was predictable.

Dont think it goes unoticed that you have no problem laying blame with Moore and Dak, and never a peep about your hero Zeke bogging down the offense or having a bad game. Which was a pretty much MOST games and just about EVERY big game the last 4 years for him.
Rent free..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rent free..
Its more like ...............GOOD RIDDANCE!!

You just mentioned Moore and he isnt here. Whats the matter scared to talk about Zeke? Why would that be?

Its no wonder you refuse to talk about him. Considering how your Zeke/Pollard arguments have been a complete washout for you.

Zeke gets dumped and no one wants him and Pollard makes the pro bowl and gets a 10 million dollar extension from the boys.

I think its safe to say you got it all wrong horribly.

TheCritic

Reaction score

HOW DARE YOU put the QB issue in perspective!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Its more like ...............GOOD RIDDANCE!!

You just mentioned Moore and he isnt here. Whats the matter scared to talk about Zeke? Why would that be?

Its no wonder you refuse to talk about him. Considering how your Zeke/Pollard arguments have been a complete washout for you.

Zeke gets dumped and no one wants him and Pollard makes the pro bowl and gets a 10 million dollar extension from the boys.

I think its safe to say you got it all wrong horribly.
I am happy to talk about the running backs in threads about the running backs. This thread was about the QB and his interceptions. To my knowledge Zeke didn't throw any interceptions last season. Your attempts to derail this discussion are as predictable as they are pathetic. I feel bad for people like you. Carrying all that hate around has to be exhausting.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
HOW DARE YOU put the QB issue in perspective!!
The weird part is that the QB himself is not really an issue. Just how the fans and mediots choose to discuss him. I'm sure if there was internet back in the 60's there would have been those who wanted Morton over Staubach or Longley or White over Staubach in the 70's. We all saw it play out when the fans and media goaded Landry into starting guys like "Hogenboom" and Reggie Collier and the like in the 80's. It's a testament to the position Dallas Cowboys QB holds in the sports lexicon. There really is no more prestigious or high profile position in all of team sports. Every man who gets to hold that title should be honored to do so. But understand what "comes with the dinner" as JG used to say. I think Dak fully understands it.. though I'm not completely sure Romo did.. at least not early on in his career.. but he did eventually figure it out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am happy to talk about the running backs in threads about the running backs. This thread was about the QB and his interceptions. To my knowledge Zeke didn't throw any interceptions last season. Your attempts to derail this discussion are as predictable as they are pathetic. I feel bad for people like you. Carrying all that hate around has to be exhausting.
Say what you want about me, I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. :thumbup:

I also nailed the Pollard/Zeke argument.

You got it wrong and arent man enough to admit it or even talk about it.

Maybe you should look in the mirror and feel sorry for the guy looking back at you?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You can't ask for this when you do not have an offense that gives the QB a chance. You have to force the ball down the field on third and long, which is what happened on several of the INTs.

INT 1 - 3rd and 10
INT 2 - 1st and 10
INT 3 - 3rd and Goal (12 yard line)
INT 4 - 3rd and 10

INT 5 - 2nd and 6 (thought free play)
INT 6 - 3rd and 15
INT 7 - 3rd and 10

INT 8 - 2nd and 8 (drop)
INT 9 - 2nd and 20
INT 10 - 2nd and 18

INT 11 - 3rd and 4 (drop)
INT 12 - 1st and 10
INT 13 - 1st and 10 (drop)
INT 14 - 1st and 10
INT 15 - 3rd and 6
INT 16 - 3rd and 9

INT 17 - 2nd and 2

The idea that Dak is forcing into tough coverages instead of just throwing the ball away is just totally false. There's what, 4-5 examples of tight coverage when he wasn't forced to throw the ball downfield on third and long.

Forcing obvious passing downs with a receiver group that couldn't get open and an OL that couldn't pass block put the quarterback in a consistently disadvantageous position all year long. Dallas was lucky this number wasn't way higher. There are few QBs in the league who can have any success when consistently put behind the chains by a staff that refuses to show any creativity on early downs and continues to force the run game.

Throwing the ball away on third down is a death sentence for an offense.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't ask for this when you do not have an offense that gives the QB a chance. You have to force the ball down the field on third and long, which is what happened on several of the INTs.

INT 1 - 3rd and 10
INT 2 - 1st and 10
INT 4 - 3rd and 10

INT 6 - 3rd and 15
INT 7 - 3rd and 10

INT 8 - 2nd and 8 (drop)
INT 9 - 2nd and 20
INT 10 - 2nd and 18

INT 12 - 1st and 10
INT 14 - 1st and 10
INT 15 - 3rd and 6
INT 16 - 3rd and 9

INT 17 - 2nd and 2

The idea that Dak is forcing into tough coverages instead of just throwing the ball away is just totally false. There's what, 4-5 examples of tight coverage when he wasn't forced to throw the ball downfield on third and long.

Forcing obvious passing downs with a receiver group that couldn't get open and an OL that couldn't pass block put the quarterback in a consistently disadvantageous position all year long. Dallas was lucky this number wasn't way higher. There are few QBs in the league who can have any success when consistently put behind the chains by a staff that refuses to show any creativity on early downs and continues to force the run game.

That is your opinion. You can blame the play call, the receivers etc all you want but throwing to a guy who is in tight coverage with a free safety watching the QB is not the best decision for even the best passers and Dak isn't one of them. A better play or a better run route and maybe he doesn't have too but he did in some cases and it bit him. Now if he throws the ball away and yes they punt then you go back and see why and say that was the smart play because throwing here it's too dangerous etc. I know he was trying to make something happen but what he made happen was an interception because he's not that guy who can thread the needle and he wasn't getting much help either. Not trying to bash him but he has to make better decisions.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
That is your opinion. You can blame the play call, the receivers etc all you want but throwing to a guy who is in tight coverage with a free safety watching the QB is not the best decision for even the best passers and Dak isn't one of them. A better play or a better run route and maybe he doesn't have too but he did in some cases and it bit him. Now if he throws the ball away and yes they punt then you go back and see why and say that was the smart play because throwing here it's too dangerous etc. I know he was trying to make something happen but what he made happen was an interception because he's not that guy who can thread the needle and he wasn't getting much help either. Not trying to bash him but he has to make better decisions.
This is all false. Dak is one of the best tight-window throwers in the NFL. His completion % above expectation is significantly higher than Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson and a host of other guys. It's just behind Herbert, but he consistently threw the ball further downfield.

I know this is an older one (I don't think the league makes this info public anymore) but in 2018 Dak was the best QB in the league in tight-window throws. https://www.nfl.com/news/dak-presco...mong-top-10-tight-window-qbs-0ap3000000915500

RonnieT24

Reaction score

INT 1 - 3rd and 10
INT 2 - 1st and 10
INT 4 - 3rd and 10

INT 6 - 3rd and 15
INT 7 - 3rd and 10

INT 8 - 2nd and 8 (drop)
INT 9 - 2nd and 20
INT 10 - 2nd and 18

INT 12 - 1st and 10
INT 14 - 1st and 10
INT 15 - 3rd and 6
INT 16 - 3rd and 9

INT 17 - 2nd and 2

Not always.. There are times when it's absolutely the best thing the QB can possibly do. Punt and live to fight another day. Especially when his defense is smothering the other team's offense. I think the Cowboys' 3 and out ratio was considerably higher when Rush was starting, yet they kept winning because the defense refused to let the other team past 17 points until Philly. Sometimes discretion is indeed the better part of valor to roll out a very old cliche. I'm not saying Dak didn't know this but I do believe he allowed the desire to be more aggressive to color his choices in some situations. He had been criticized in the past for being TOO risk averse and I think the last two seasons he has swung the pendulum too far in the other direction. I think he can find his equilibrium going forward. At least I hope he can. Like I said before, having guys who can create separation will be a HUGE help. If damn near every throw is a tight window throw you are GOING to see some picks. A lot of them. Let's try not to repeat that this year.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not always.. There are times when it's absolutely the best thing the QB can possibly do.
Maybe if it's a blowout.

But fundamentally, you should never throw the ball away on third down and cede possession. At that point, you're basically just punting anyway.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Maybe if it's a blowout.

But fundamentally, you should never throw the ball away on third down and cede possession. At that point, you're basically just punting anyway.
We will have to agree to disagree here. Never is a very long time. Almost any good coach will tell you that he'd prefer punting and playing for field position as opposed to risking a turnover and giving the other team the ball in favorable field position or even taking a high risk shot into the end zone when you're already in chipshot FG range. Obviously end of game/half situations are handled differently but in most other situations, you want to pin the other team deep and let your defense get you the ball back rather than forcing things.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree here. Never is a very long time. Almost any good coach will tell you that he'd prefer punting and playing for field position as opposed to risking a turnover and giving the other team the ball in favorable field position or even taking a high risk shot into the end zone when you're already in chipshot FG range. Obviously end of game/half situations are handled differently but in most other situations, you want to pin the other team deep and let your defense get you the ball back rather than forcing things.
These are bad coaches in the modern NFL.