News: BTB: Assigning blame to every one of Dak Prescott's interceptions from the 2022 season

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's an act to compensate for the lack of on-field talent he, unfortunately, doesn't possess.
Everything he does is calculated to keep the good boy image in the public perception.
He has a great PR dept. this I will give him.
How many nice guys do you see getting beat to a pulp in a parking lot and telling folks to throw garbage at the refs?
And please don't forget how he threw Dez and our kicker under the bus without any hesitation.
He will do anything and I mean anything to keep this sacred Job that fell into his hands when 2 QB went down in a preseason game with a stacked offensive roster.
Dak Prescott is all sauce and no Steak.
How did he throw Dez Bryant under the bus, Dez Bryant belong under a bus he suck

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hard working? That's debatable. First, you have to have the passion and desire to improve your game, and I don't see Dak being that kind of person. All he does is talk and make promises he has no intention of keeping. He's like Jerry in my opinion - he says things just to keep the media off his butt. Otherwise he doesn't give a damn about the success of the team, or the lack thereof.
What happened to? I’m done with the blame game.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not always.. There are times when it's absolutely the best thing the QB can possibly do. Punt and live to fight another day. Especially when his defense is smothering the other team's offense. I think the Cowboys' 3 and out ratio was considerably higher when Rush was starting, yet they kept winning because the defense refused to let the other team past 17 points until Philly. Sometimes discretion is indeed the better part of valor to roll out a very old cliche. I'm not saying Dak didn't know this but I do believe he allowed the desire to be more aggressive to color his choices in some situations. He had been criticized in the past for being TOO risk averse and I think the last two seasons he has swung the pendulum too far in the other direction. I think he can find his equilibrium going forward. At least I hope he can. Like I said before, having guys who can create separation will be a HUGE help. If damn near every throw is a tight window throw you are GOING to see some picks. A lot of them. Let's try not to repeat that this year.
We agree on something!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Coaches who consistently put their defense in harm's way with risky calls and QBs who throw a lot of picks because of it typically have short tenures wherever they go.
Putting your defense on the field on purpose is putting them at more risk than throwing an INT.

It's like people forget that the Rams won a Super Bowl with Stafford leading the league in INTs. There's minimal difference between a punt and a turnover.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is all false. Dak is one of the best tight-window throwers in the NFL. His completion % above expectation is significantly higher than Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Jackson, Watson and a host of other guys. It's just behind Herbert, but he consistently threw the ball further downfield.

I know this is an older one (I don't think the league makes this info public anymore) but in 2018 Dak was the best QB in the league in tight-window throws. https://www.nfl.com/news/dak-presco...mong-top-10-tight-window-qbs-0ap3000000915500
I think you get confused on a couple things.

1. He throws tight windows a lot because they run a lot of stop routes, curl routes, come backs etc. How many times we see 4 guys run 10 yards then come back towards the QB....hate that call.
2. He doesn't have the best ball placement. We've seen him throw low and behind the RB time and again, even though it can still hit their hands it makes the catch attempt that much harder.
3. You'll notice they have one of the worst yards after the catch stats and these are partially why.

That's my opinion, your welcome to believe whatever you want.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I think you get confused on a couple things.

1. He throws tight windows a lot because they run a lot of stop routes, curl routes, come backs etc. How many times we see 4 guys run 10 yards then come back towards the QB....hate that call.
2. He doesn't have the best ball placement. We've seen him throw low and behind the RB time and again, even though it can still hit their hands it makes the catch attempt that much harder.
3. You'll notice they have one of the worst yards after the catch stats and these are partially why.

That's my opinion, your welcome to believe whatever you want.
Why he throws into tight windows is irrelevant.

There's nothing to believe, the numbers are the numbers. His ball placement and accuracy into tight windows are among the best in the league, so the idea that he can't throw into tight windows is factually wrong.

Number 1 totally contradicts Number 3, and Number 2 is pointless without doing that same evaluation for every QB in the league.

Cling to your opinion, but it is objectively wrong.

catiii

Reaction score
Regardless of who was at fault, every one of those boils down to crap coaching and crap decisions because of crap coaching/scheming. Sounds like we got a bunch of Jr High receivers when it comes to proper decisons, routes. and that doesn't count LAZY!!!!!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Putting your defense on the field on purpose is putting them at more risk than throwing an INT.

It's like people forget that the Rams won a Super Bowl with Stafford leading the league in INTs. There's minimal difference between a punt and a turnover.

It's like people forget that the Rams were a dropped pick six from watching the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Just because the DB didn't catch it doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid call and a stupid decision to throw it where he did. Yet he got away with it. That happened a lot for Stafford that season including the playoffs. Sometimes a team or a player just has a magical year where everything they touch turns to gold. Then they come crashing back to Earth. I may be in the minority, but I honestly don't want the Cowboys to put together one magical Super Bowl season then turn into what the Rams are right now. No thank you.. I much prefer a consistently good and competitive team that doesn't count only a bunch of questionable calls and lucky bounces to get to the promised land. I want my team to win because they are the better team above all else. If they don't and they're not then it hurts, but I can handle that better than one year wondering.

The Cowboys can build on what they have in place now. They have a borderline great defense.. a good QB, good special teams, a good (not great) offensive line and quite possibly a super explosive WR corps. Shake it up and add good coaching and I think we're setup nicely for a good long run of contending. No there is no guarantee they will win anything with this group.. but at some point, you either have to learn to enjoy the journey or jump off the damn train. I prefer the former.. At my age I might break something when I hit the ground the other way.

starfan1

Reaction score
It's like people forget that the Rams were a dropped pick six from watching the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Just because the DB didn't catch it doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid call and a stupid decision to throw it where he did. Yet he got away with it. That happened a lot for Stafford that season including the playoffs. Sometimes a team or a player just has a magical year where everything they touch turns to gold. Then they come crashing back to Earth. I may be in the minority, but I honestly don't want the Cowboys to put together one magical Super Bowl season then turn into what the Rams are right now. No thank you.. I much prefer a consistently good and competitive team that doesn't count only a bunch of questionable calls and lucky bounces to get to the promised land. I want my team to win because they are the better team above all else. If they don't and they're not then it hurts, but I can handle that better than one year wondering.

The Cowboys can build on what they have in place now. They have a borderline great defense.. a good QB, good special teams, a good (not great) offensive line and quite possibly a super explosive WR corps. Shake it up and add good coaching and I think we're setup nicely for a good long run of contending. No there is no guarantee they will win anything with this group.. but at some point, you either have to learn to enjoy the journey or jump off the damn train. I prefer the former.. At my age I might break something when I hit the ground the other way.
Im kind of on this train as well. There are many Super bowl or bust fans here and while id like that the journey is much more enjoyable to me. I enjoyed the last 2 years even though it ended poorly I dont look at it as a crappy year because they didnt win the trophy but thats just me.

I used to be like alot of these fans in here but now Ive chilled and just appreciate consistant competetive football. Its hard to win the lombardi

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's like people forget that the Rams were a dropped pick six from watching the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Just because the DB didn't catch it doesn't change the fact that it was a stupid call and a stupid decision to throw it where he did.
Nah you can't litigate it that way. Every team needs bounces to get to the Super Bowl.

By this logic, the Cowboys were a bad Schultz route against GB and a drop by Noah Brown from winning the division.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not always.. There are times when it's absolutely the best thing the QB can possibly do. Punt and live to fight another day. Especially when his defense is smothering the other team's offense. I think the Cowboys' 3 and out ratio was considerably higher when Rush was starting, yet they kept winning because the defense refused to let the other team past 17 points until Philly. Sometimes discretion is indeed the better part of valor to roll out a very old cliche. I'm not saying Dak didn't know this but I do believe he allowed the desire to be more aggressive to color his choices in some situations. He had been criticized in the past for being TOO risk averse and I think the last two seasons he has swung the pendulum too far in the other direction. I think he can find his equilibrium going forward. At least I hope he can. Like I said before, having guys who can create separation will be a HUGE help. If damn near every throw is a tight window throw you are GOING to see some picks. A lot of them. Let's try not to repeat that this year.
Exactly. The notion that you have to force the ball into potential bad situations on third down instead of just taking your medicine and punting is bizarre.

But when people are in full blown Dak defense mode, weird stuff gets uttered I guess.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe if it's a blowout.

But fundamentally, you should never throw the ball away on third down and cede possession. At that point, you're basically just punting anyway.
So to be clear, the smart play on 3rd and 10 is always force the ball into high risk, double coverage situation instead of just sailing one out of bounds and punting?

Sydla

Reaction score

LOL. Geezus.

I gotta give you credit though, you've come up with one of the more unique ways to defend Dak.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Im kind of on this train as well. There are many Super bowl or bust fans here and while id like that the journey is much more enjoyable to me. I enjoyed the last 2 years even though it ended poorly I dont look at it as a crappy year because they didnt win the trophy but thats just me.

I used to be like alot of these fans in here but now Ive chilled and just appreciate consistant competetive football. Its hard to win the lombardi
Some of our younger fans came of age during the early 90's... when the Super Bowl or at least the NFC Championship game was practically on our schedule. I get it. It's hard to separate a run like that from reality. I fell in love with football and the Cowboys myself in the late 60's when the NFL/NFC Championship games were practically on the schedule. Of course with Landry they stayed in the championship mix pretty much every year until '85 or '86. But they didn't win it all every year. They didn't even get to the NFC Championship every year.. Okay they did get there like 10 out of 13 years between '70 and '82 but let's not lose sight of the big picture LOL! Consistently good football was a hallmark of the Landry years until those last two crappy seasons.

I would take another 20 year run of winning seasons with a couple of Super Bowl wins and a couple other almosts over Jimmy's amazing 5 year stretch of greatness followed by burnout then collapse any day. I think with McCarthy and Dak and this defense we have a chance to pull off at least a decade long run of contention. And if we get a couple of breaks here and there a championship or two will come. But I've learned not to expect it. And believe me I HAD to learn after growing up with Roger, Landry and Doomsday I and II. I know how hard it is to win a championship at anything at any level especially football. So I choose to enjoy the ride.. But I don't presume to tell others how to enjoy THEIR Sunday afternoons.. To each his own.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So to be clear, the smart play on 3rd and 10 is always force the ball into high risk, double coverage situation instead of just sailing one out of bounds and punting?
I didn't say the word "always." If you choose to consistently throw the ball away on third down, you have no chance to win. Nobody is ever open on third and long, you have to force it.

Punting is loser football.