BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
How could a QB coach threaten Garrett's job, or any QB coach threaten any head coach's job?
Name a coach on this team that would threaten Garrett's job which needs to be threaten. You know like he'd done with Wade.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name a coach on this team that would threaten Garrett's job which needs to be threaten. You know like he'd done with Wade.

You are avoding the point. The point is you are acting as if the hire of Moore is part of an intentional effort by Jerry to keep from hiring a threat to Garrett when the truth of the matter is there isn't a single QB coach hired by any team that is a threat to the head coach. You are creating a negative where one doesn't exist.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Besides Moore's inexperience, I think the real problem lies in the fact that Moore is an extension of Garrett and Linehan, so there is definitely going to be a lot of the anti Garret/Linehan faction of Cowboy fans on here who are going to hate this hire.

Sydla

Reaction score

I don't know about the thought process in hiring coaches in the sense that Jerry doesn't want ones that could threaten Garrett.

But there is no question Jerry has created a protective bubble for Garrett.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Saying Moore has no coaching experience is like a lot of people say when trying to get a lot of jobs - how can I get experience if nobody will hire me and let me get some?

In other words, you have to start somewhere. Moore is apparently going to be the quarterbacks coach, but I seriously doubt he'll be totally responsible for Dak's development, Linehan will probably have a lot to do with that as well. The receivers coach will likely work with Moore and Dak as well.

And while I don't know since I'm not on the coaching staff, I hardly think Moore will be allowed to do whatever he thinks with Dak and will have to run it by Linehan, etc., at least for a year or two.

Can't get too hung up on somebody's title

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You are avoding the point. The point is you are acting as if the hire of Moore is part of an intentional effort by Jerry to keep from hiring a threat to Garrett when the truth of the matter is there isn't a single QB coach hired by any team that is a threat to the head coach. You are creating a negative where one doesn't exist.
What negative?

Sydla

Reaction score
Besides Moore's inexperience, I think the real problem lies in the fact that Moore is an extension of Garrett and Linehan, so there is definitely going to be a lot of the anti Garret/Linehan faction of Cowboy fans on here who are going to hate this hire.

On one hand, can we expect this franchise to want to have an outside voice on the staff? It's really not uncommon for people, especially some under fire, to surround themselves with familiar faces thinking that's the way out.

On the other hand, there is definitely something to be said when one has hit a rut, going outside the comfort zone to shake things up.

IMO, it would have been smart given all the factors here, to go outside the inner circle here and bring in an outside QB coach who has real experience. There is too much at stake here to just make this like some sort of coaching experiment IMO.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The reality is that just because Moore wasn't a good QB that doesn't preclude him from being a competent coach. Doug Pederson was a boob of a QB too and he's coaching in the SB now.

That being said, the issue with Moore is the fact that you've just hired a guy to essentially mentor and be the meeting buddy with Dak who has never in his entire life actually held a coaching position. I might see hiring a guy like Moore if you had a more veteran QB in place, a guy who doesn't necessarily need the type of instruction a young QB needs.

But in this case, with so much riding on Prescott (and I guess to a much lesser extent Rush since they have no other young options at QB), to hire a guy who has never been a coach before is bizarre, exceptionally risky and yet exactly the type of thing I'd expect from this franchise.

Moore gets a lot of credit for Dak's play as a rookie, but do we give him blame for Dak not playing as well this past year? He was around for both seasons.

I'm in total agreement that the issue with hiring Moore is simply the lack of experience as a coach who will be coaching a quarterback going into only his third season. He could learn and grow into the role if he were coaching someone like Romo in Romo's last few years, but we don't need him learning and growing while our QB is trying to do the same.

Sydla

Reaction score
Saying Moore has no coaching experience is like a lot of people say when trying to get a lot of jobs - how can I get experience if nobody will hire me and let me get some?

In other words, you have to start somewhere. Moore is apparently going to be the quarterbacks coach, but I seriously doubt he'll be totally responsible for Dak's development, Linehan will probably have a lot to do with that as well. The receivers coach will likely work with Moore and Dak as well.

And while I don't know since I'm not on the coaching staff, I hardly think Moore will be allowed to do whatever he thinks with Dak and will have to run it by Linehan, etc., at least for a year or two.

Can't get too hung up on somebody's title

Moore can get a start in coaching, like most guys do............ start as an assistant to the assistant, like a quality control coach. There he can get his foot in the door. I think people are purposely trying to undersell the role of a QB coach because deep down they realize this is a peculiar hire.

Look at Doug Pederson. After retiring from the NFL, he was a high school coach for a few years before Andy Reid hired him with the Eagles........... as a quality control assistant. Also on the Eagles, one of the hotter names in terms of potential head coaches down the road is their QB coach - John DeFilippo. His coaching career started in college where his first big job was a grad assistant at Notre Dame before eventually landing a job in the NFL as a quality control coach.

Sean McVay? Started as an assistant to the assistant in Tampa.

If the Cowboys wanted to throw Moore a bone, then make him a quality control assistant, etc. My fear here is that Garrett and Linehan were stubborn and didn't want any outside voices making waves in their offense.......... Dak and Moore get along and Moore buys into Linehan and Garrett's system. So let's just go hire him and make it easy on all of them.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
You claimed Jerry won't hire a coach who is a threat to Garrett, and also that Garrett needs to be threatened. You don't call that a negative?
You want Garrett here after 7 years of mediocrity?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
In other words, you have to start somewhere
and if Kellen Moore was taking the QB coach job at Boise State, Central Michigan, or Louisiana Monroe I think everyone here would wish him luck and think it was a good fit for a player like him.

His first chance at coaching should not be an alleged Super Bowl contending, billion-dollar franchise. If he took a quality control or internship coaching position with the Cowboys, most fans would be okay as well.

Your QB coach is the guy who spends 90 percent of the available coaching and meeting time with the most critical position in football. He is the liaison or interpreter between your offensive coordinator and your quarterbacks. You really want to trust Dak's development to a completely unproven 28-year old rookie coach who never experienced a shred of success at the NFL level?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why?
Every interview I saw and article I read had Dez stating it was Mark Sanchez and Romo.

Dak on Moore aduring the 2016 season:

“(He’s) a genius behind the scenes, who doesn’t get enough credit for what he does helping me out and helping this offense out,” Prescott said via the Dallas Morning News’ Jon Machota. “He’s an offensive coordinator in his own mind. He’s simply a genius when it comes to helping coach Linehan out and early in the week giving looks, helping me out with things the defense does, maybe little keys here and there to tip me off or coverages or blitzes.”

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your QB coach is the guy who spends 90 percent of the available coaching and meeting time with the most critical position in football. He is the liaison or interpreter between your offensive coordinator and your quarterbacks. You really want to trust Dak's development to a completely unproven 28-year old rookie coach who never experienced a shred of success at the NFL level?

I accept the lack of coaching experience as a concern, but the part in bold is still nonsense. I don't think more than one or two current NFL QB coaches ever even played in the NFL, and none were successful NFL QB's.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Dak on Moore aduring the 2016 season:
Thanks. First time seeing that. I hope like heck he's right but I have to ask, where was the help this year? Dak significantly regressed. Romo and Sanchez were gone, Moore was still here.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Now where in the world did I say that? Are you contending that I am happy with Garrett just because I won't make up illogical complaints?
Then we're on the same page. And do you agree that Jerry will not hire anyone to threaten Garrett's job? Because Moore is not the type of qualified coach I would hire, it's a safe non threatening hire. Now compare that with the DBs hire, which is threatening to Marinelli