BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only one current NFL quarterbacks coach has never had any experience as an assistant coach either in college or as an assistant to an assistant (like quality control).

Guess who that is?

The only guy that I could find that never was an assistant in college or some sort of low level offensive assistant or quality control guy was Scott Milanovich. But he had been coaching in NFL Europe and Canada since 2003 and the year before being name QB coach in Jax, he was the head coach for the Toronto Argonauts.

EDIT - I found one. Kevin O'Connell for the Skins. He started his coaching career as the QB coach for the Browns in 2015. Lasted on season before going on to be a quality control guy for the 49ers in 2016.

Again, I accept that lack of coaching experience is a concern. I didn't dispute that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Name one time a guy has gone from QB coach to O-Coordinator to head coach in 3 years.

For that matter, if Garrett has failed for the next 3 years it wouldn't matter anyway, he would lose his job to someone whether it was to an assistant or not.

Another point is if a head coach fails, the coordinators that were part of the failure are almost never the ones that get to take over the head coaching position anyway. Look around the NFL - when a head coach loses his job teams almost always go outside the organization for a change.

Not sure about one on the same team but................ Andy Reid went from QB coach to head coach in a year. Matt Nagy just went from QB coach in KC, to OC in KC to head coach in Chicago.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure about one on the same team but................ Andy Reid went from QB coach to head coach in a year. Matt Nagy just went from QB coach in KC, to OC in KC to head coach in Chicago.

Andy Reid was QB coach AND assistant head coach, and he was with the Packers and hired by the Eagles.

As for Nagy, he was the QB coach for 3 years in KC, and then the OC for 2 years in KC before getting a head coaching gig with another team, so it was 6 years, not 3, and really more than that because he held other coaching positions before that.

Last edited:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Name one time a guy has gone from QB coach to O-Coordinator to head coach in 3 years.

For that matter, if Garrett has failed for the next 3 years it wouldn't matter anyway, he would lose his job to someone whether it was to an assistant or not.

Another point is if a head coach fails, the coordinators that were part of the failure are almost never the ones that get to take over the head coaching position anyway. Look around the NFL - when a head coach loses his job teams almost always go outside the organization for a change.
How about hiring a guy like Josh McDaniels as a QB coach like the Patriots did, now where is he about to be?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Andy Reid was QB coach AND assistant head coach, and he was with the Packers and hired by the Eagles.

As for Nagy, he was the QB coach for 3 years in KC, and then the OC for 2 years in KC before getting a head coaching gig with another team, so it was 6 years, not 3, and really more than that because he held other coaching positions before that.
You expect Moore to be head coach next year or the year after? How about in 4 years?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The point being, the hires are about safety for Jason Garrett. I'm not surprised you glossed over the point though.

Sydla

Reaction score

My bad on Nagy. I read it as the 2016-2017 season as one season, with 2017-18 being another season.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about hiring a guy like Josh McDaniels as a QB coach like the Patriots did, now where is he about to be?

How do you know we haven't? Hindsight is nice, but McDaniel had 2 years as a defensive assistant coach in NE before becoming the QB coach in 2004. And he moved up the food chain from there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
How could you honestly expect your questions answered in January? We have free agency, the draft, etc... before we get to see the plan for this team.
Again, so why will he be better? I believe you stated that he will be better next year.

It's all hope so far. Especially with hiring a rookie QB coach. Simple hope.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
How do you know we haven't? Hindsight is nice, but McDaniel had 2 years as a defensive assistant coach in NE before becoming the QB coach in 2004. And he moved up the food chain from there.
He's a threat, that's the point. Stay on point

Sydla

Reaction score
The point being, the hires are about safety for Jason Garrett. I'm not surprised you glossed over the point though.

In the end, I believe this is the truth. I think Moore is simply a safe and comfortable hiring for Garrett. I think Garrett is aware of the outside criticisms of him. So when change is needed sometimes guys curl into their shell and look for comfortable change. I think that's Garrett hiring Moore.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My bad on Nagy. I read it as the 2016-2017 season as one season, with 2017-18 being another season.

It does prove the time line doesn't have to be a decade, but QB coach 1 year, the OC the next year then head coach the next year is not a realistic viewpoint.

Kaiser

Reaction score

We just hired a guy that was an Asst Head Coach last year and another that was a Defensive Coord, plus we interviewed a third who was a DC. A fourth and third DC Pagano will likely be our LB coach.

We wouldn't be hiring senior guys like that if the goal was to have a bunch of yes men around Garrett.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It does prove the time line doesn't have to be a decade, but QB coach 1 year, the OC the next year then head coach the next year is not a realistic viewpoint.
Have you ever heard of QB coach/assistant coach? That's what Josh McDaniels was/is. All assistant coaches can be moved up fairly quickly. Moore will be around for a while before he can become a head coach. What Garrett needs is pressure. He needs pressure hires and as of today, who's threatening his job right now?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a threat, that's the point. Stay on point

To whom is McDaniels is a threat? Hell, he isn't just the QB coach now anyway, but exactly who is it he is a threat to? Who was he ever a threat to?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We just hired a guy that was an Asst Head Coach last year and another that was a Defensive Coord, plus we interviewed a third who was a DC. A fourth and third DC Pagano will likely be our LB coach.

We wouldn't be hiring senior guys like that if the goal was to have a bunch of yes men around Garrett.
And how many of these guys will Jones promote to head coach next year?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
To whom is McDaniels is a threat? Hell, he isn't just the QB coach now anyway, but exactly who is it he is a threat to? Who was he ever a threat to?
He'd be a threat to Garrett.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you ever heard of QB coach/assistant coach? That's what Josh McDaniels was/is. All assistant coaches can be moved up fairly quickly. Moore will be around for a while before he can become a head coach. What Garrett needs is pressure. He needs pressure hires and as of today, who's threatening his job right now?

1. Josh McDaniels wasn't a threat to his head coach.

2. Josh McDaniels isn't going from QB coach to head coach in 3 years. He has gone from defensive assistant coach to QB coach to O-Coordinator and QB coach to head coach, to Offensive Coordinator and QB coach, and now back to head coach it appears. This wasn't a 3 year process. Even if you just count from his first stint as a QB coach to his first stint as a head coach, it was 6 years, and it took changing teams.

Sydla

Reaction score

They hired a yes man as their QB coach.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
1. Josh McDaniels wasn't a threat to his head coach.

2. Josh McDaniels isn't going from QB coach to head coach in 3 years. He has gone from defensive assistant coach to QB coach to O-Coordinator and QB coach to head coach, to Offensive Coordinator and QB coach, and now back to head coach it appears. This wasn't a 3 year process. Even if you just count from his first stint as a QB coach to his first stint as a head coach, it was 6 years, and it took changing teams.
Yup.