BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

blueblood70

Reaction score
You can't really develop a qb's mechanics with the new offseason rules. Dak will need to do that on his own and hire someone. Hopefully someone like Mike Lee.
good idea but more like go help run a Manning QB camp and get tips there from Payton manning himself..he gets to help your kids and learn something from the master

Sydla

Reaction score
I accept the lack of coaching experience as a concern, but the part in bold is still nonsense. I don't think more than one or two current NFL QB coaches ever even played in the NFL, and none were successful NFL QB's.

Only one current NFL quarterbacks coach has never had any experience as an assistant coach either in college or as an assistant to an assistant (like quality control).

Guess who that is?

The only guy that I could find that never was an assistant in college or some sort of low level offensive assistant or quality control guy was Scott Milanovich. But he had been coaching in NFL Europe and Canada since 2003 and the year before being name QB coach in Jax, he was the head coach for the Toronto Argonauts.

EDIT - I found one. Kevin O'Connell for the Skins. He started his coaching career as the QB coach for the Browns in 2015. Lasted on season before going on to be a quality control guy for the 49ers in 2016.

Last edited:

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I think Kellen would be great in college where he was a star and doesn’t require as great arm strength. He never adapted to the NFL as a player

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I accept the lack of coaching experience as a concern, but the part in bold is still nonsense. I don't think more than one or two current NFL QB coaches ever even played in the NFL, and none were successful NFL QB's.
I'm not saying QB success is a required measurable of how good a coach is or will be. I bring up that point in my question on what exactly about Moore has Cowboy fans so convinced he deserves an NFL QB Coach position right away? Pederson played QB for several years, in multiple leagues, and was a professional coach for 6 years before getting a gig as QB Coach. Even Garrett played for multiple teams and leagues. Moore may end up being a good coach several years down the road but there is no way he deserves this job at this stage in his career. He's being anointed and Cowboy fans are falling for it yet again.

blueblood70

Reaction score
BTW lets give Moore a chance before we bash him to death..IMO regardless Dak will be better this year..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then we're on the same page. And do you agree that Jerry will not hire anyone to threaten Garrett's job? Because Moore is not the type of qualified coach I would hire, it's a safe non threatening hire. Now compare that with the DBs hire, which is threatening to Marinelli

Of course I agree he wont hire a QB coach to threaten Garrett's job. No team does that. You are acting as if that is a relevant point, and it isn't. You might as well have said Jerry Jones makes his QB wear a helmet. It's just a generic statement that applies to all teams.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Of course I agree he wont hire a QB coach to threaten Garrett's job. No team does that. You are acting as if that is a relevant point, and it isn't. You might as well have said Jerry Jones makes his QB wear a helmet. It's just a generic statement that applies to all teams.
It was relevant to the nice warm comfortable nature of Jason Garrett. Don't hire a real QB coach with some real skins on the wall that could one day threaten your position if you don't perform. That's relevant, IMO.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I want to know who's making these decisions. Is it Garrett, is it Marinelli, or Jerry Jones or Stephen Jones?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
How many NFL QB coaches can you name that ever had as much of an NFL playing career as Kellen Moore had?

Moore's deficiency wasn't fundamentals, it was limited physical traits.

I could understand an argument that he his inexperienced as a coach, but the arguments you have made aren't supported by facts.
great. except i was speaking from my own impression on this and didn't feel like doing research for a full thesis or analysis.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was relevant to the nice warm comfortable nature of Jason Garrett. Don't hire a real QB coach with some real skins on the wall that could one day threaten your position if you don't perform. That's relevant, IMO.

Please enlighten us with the tales of all the QB coaches around the NFL that have taken the head coaching job away from the head coach they are working under. It's not how the NFL works. You are fabricating a scenario. Other teams do not have a QB coach that is a threat to the head coach, nor is that in the history of the NFL.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I see fans and Jerry say stuff like this all the time.

I hope so but why? how?

What are the Cowboys actually doing to ensure this?
How could you honestly expect your questions answered in January? We have free agency, the draft, etc... before we get to see the plan for this team.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Please enlighten us with the tales of all the QB coaches around the NFL that have taken the head coaching job away from the head coach they are working under. It's not how the NFL works. You are fabricating a scenario. Other teams do not have a QB coach that is a threat to the head coach, nor is that in the history of the NFL.
QB coach - Offensive Coordinator - head coach - which can happen in 3 years. Is this clearer to you or do we need to start with the ABCs? Jerry hires all these non threatening personnel, including QB coach, RB coach, TE coach, Offensive coordinator, etc. When he hired Wade, it's funny how he hired Garrett as an assistant to take over from Wade Phillips but he won't do the same now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
great. except i was speaking from my own impression on this and didn't feel like doing research for a full thesis or analysis.

Your impression is wrong. NFL QB coaches are almost never former NFL players, and on the rare occasion they are, they are not highly successful ones. Accordingly, tying Moore's ability to coach to his success as an NFL player is off base.

By the way, Wade Wilson was, I believe the most successful former player of all the NFL QB coaches.

Sydla

Reaction score
How could you honestly expect your questions answered in January? We have free agency, the draft, etc... before we get to see the plan for this team.

Well the first step in creating an atmosphere conducive to Prescott improving was when the Cowboys hired a QB coach has never coached a day in his life in either high school, college or the NFL. Soooooo............ not exactly sure why people should be bullish on the notion that the Cowboys have a great plan in place to build around Prescott and give him the best chance to succeed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB coach - Offensive Coordinator - head coach - which can happen in 3 years. Is this clearer to you or do we need to start with the ABCs?

Name one time a guy has gone from QB coach to O-Coordinator to head coach in 3 years.

For that matter, if Garrett has failed for the next 3 years it wouldn't matter anyway, he would lose his job to someone whether it was to an assistant or not.

Another point is if a head coach fails, the coordinators that were part of the failure are almost never the ones that get to take over the head coaching position anyway. Look around the NFL - when a head coach loses his job teams almost always go outside the organization for a change.