Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

Sydla

Reaction score
It doesn’t. Both can be true. When you face a beating like that it’s not because of one side of the ball or one person that’s for sure.
And that's fine. But, the QB not playing his best in a moment like that is, unfortunately, not unusual. People assessing Dak aren't doing so in a vacuum here. He's had his struggles in big spots and you can't just always blame everyone else around him and not at least start to question whether the QB has it when the games matter most. It's a very fair question.

Sydla

Reaction score
You literally just brought up Dak as to why we lost the GB game lol.
Yes, he was a major reason why we lost. He was terrible in that first half and then churned up stats when the game was 27-0. The defense also was a major reason we lost. They got roasted. Frankly, I thought the team was ill prepared and that falls on McCarthy. He was also a reason we lost and should have been fired after that game.

While you guys have spun your wheels trying to find other people to blame to take responsibility off of Dak for that GB mess, I have been quite consistent with my criticism of that game. The QB was bad in the biggest moments (and again, this is not an unusual occurrence). The defense was atrocious. And the HC failed and should have been shitcanned after that game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak threw two interceptions, including a pick 6 and the other that led to a free GB TD. Yes, the defense was porous, but if he was a little more careful with the football then the halftime score could have just as easily been 13-7 or 16-10 instead of 27-0.

The offense’s performance always heavily impacts the defense’s performance, and vice versa.
Dak owns Philthy so I see why you hate him. You should worry about Hurts and not Dak. That’s your real issue.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He did.

He also saw Prescott go like 5-11 in the first half with 55 yards passing and a couple interceptions before he finally led us on a TD drive right before the end of the half.

The QB was as much a problem as the defense that game. Let's revisit that game:

- GB scores opening drive.

- Dallas gets ball back down 7-0. Dak goes 1-2 for 0 yards. Dallas punts.

- Defense holds GB, GB punts

- Dak misses first pass then throws that bad pick.

- GB scores. 14-0

- Down two TDs but still a lot of time, Dallas needs a drive. Dak goes 1-2 for 22 yards and takes a bad sack. Gotta punt.

After that, the defense let up a TD and then came Dak's second pick resulting in a TD.
Another “fan” who thinks the QB is responsible for the GB loss. Just unbelievable the lack of knowlege displayed by the haters.

Sydla

Reaction score
Another “fan” who thinks the QB is responsible for the GB loss. Just unbelievable the lack of knowlege displayed by the haters.
Let's explain something that most sane and intelligent people understand.

When something goes wrong, maybe a project at work, a construction project, whatever, multiple people/groups can be "responsible" for why the project failed.

In the case of the Cowboys getting depantsed by the Packers, the responsibility largely falls on the defense/DC who got shredded and the QB who was pretty atrocious when the game was still within reach, only piling up stats when the game was out of reach. Throw in McCarthy, who did a poor job and should have been fired, you see why we got run out of AT&T in January.

Attempts to shift the blame away from Dak, like you have been doing, and try to pin it solely on other people is just foolish. The QB, on any team, has the largest single impact on the outcome of a game. Rarely (unless you are Mahomes or Brady in his prime) can a QB just put a team on his back and will them to a win. But QBs, given their impact/influence on the games, can absolutely lose a game with poor play. Dak was poor in January. Couple that with a bad defense and what you get is an embarrassing performance.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's explain something that most sane and intelligent people understand.

When something goes wrong, maybe a project at work, a construction project, whatever, multiple people/groups can be "responsible" for why the project failed.

In the case of the Cowboys getting depantsed by the Packers, the responsibility largely falls on the defense/DC who got shredded and the QB who was pretty atrocious when the game was still within reach, only piling up stats when the game was out of reach. Throw in McCarthy, who did a poor job and should have been fired, you see why we got run out of AT&T in January.
Yeah, it’s hard to win in the playoffs when your offense is 1 dimensional and you defense doesn’t exist. Yet ill informed fans like you blame mostly the QB. Hilarious.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
00000177-8405-dcc5-a1f7-fd8579ae0002.jpg

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s hard to win in the playoffs when your offense is 1 dimensional and you defense doesn’t exist. Yet ill informed fans like you blame mostly the QB. Hilarious.
LOL. You did it again. Bad defense, One dimensional offense (technically for much of the first half, it was zero dimensional).

Nowhere in your post did you point out that the QB also kinda sucked, especially at the beginning of the game. Thanks for proving my point.

PS - One more thing, the concept of it being one dimensional. Up until the fateful interception that made the game 27-0 and put it out of reach, the Cowboys were averaging 5.1 ypc on designed runs (that takes out Dak's 18 yard scramble).

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And that's fine. But, the QB not playing his best in a moment like that is, unfortunately, not unusual. People assessing Dak aren't doing so in a vacuum here. He's had his struggles in big spots and you can't just always blame everyone else around him and not at least start to question whether the QB has it when the games matter most. It's a very fair question.
Well I can’t speak for everyone but for me I want to win. Chances of us winning with Jerry are slim but I still root for this team to win.
I’ve come to grips they unless something changes this team can’t get past San Fran with Dak’s arm. So when I criticize the defense or run game I do it because i know they can play better then they have and if they perform better Dak should perform better.

MarkP88

Reaction score

The only myth is that anyone, anywhere says or thinks that QBs single-handedly carry their teams to playoff success. That's just a strawman argument for people trying to absolve certain players of their failures in the playoffs and other big games. Yes, guys like Troy, Roger, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, etc. played on teams where they had a strong supporting cast. But they also came up big when those big moments came. Did they always win? No. But you never saw guys like that poop the bed.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: There’s a bunch that regularly post here are you kidding me? :lmao::lmao2::lmao2:
No they don’t. That’s just some ridiculous misinterpretation of the criticism of a particular QB because supporters of the latter have their feewings hurt.

Person 1: the QB sucked and was significantly responsible for the loss as all QBs are.
QB supporter: Why do you think a QB can single-handedly win a game?

If people want to build strawmen they should wait until October and Halloween comes around.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I say the “trenches” I’m not even referencing pass protection. I’m referencing the run game and stopping the run. That’s far more crucial.
In 2016 and 2018 the Cowboys had the top rushing running back in the NFL and the team lost in the division round both years.

Over the last 29 years the Cowboys at times have had great offensive lines and no Super Bowls .. great rushing offenses and no Super Bowls .. great receiving offenses and no Super Bowls .. led the league in defensive turnovers and no Super Bowls.

At some point, it becomes laughable, if not desperate, to blame everyone and everything else.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL. You did it again. Bad defense, One dimensional offense (technically for much of the first half, it was zero dimensional).

Nowhere in your post did you point out that the QB also kinda sucked, especially at the beginning of the game. Thanks for proving my point.

PS - One more thing, the concept of it being one dimensional. Up until the fateful interception that made the game 27-0 and put it out of reach, the Cowboys were averaging 5.1 ypc on designed runs (that takes out Dak's 18 yard scramble).
Can’t win in the playoffs with no defense and a 1 dimensional offense. Football 101. And not even Mahomes could’ve won that game as the QB. But go ahead, put all the blame on the QB. It’s telling for the rest of us.