Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you get to decide what a disappointing career in the NFL looks like? Football is the ultimate team sport. I hope someday a lot of our fans can figure that out. A career is a performance of an individual. Individuals don't win SB's.

If they did why would anyone be over concerned with how much a player makes?

GM Jethro should just offer our next 10 first round picks for Mahomes and pay him $100M a year.

That will surely get us our next SB right. He is good enough to elevate a sup-par team to win.

Sounds like a no brainer.
No, as a fan though, which is all we all are, I do have a right to share my opinion of how to improve things and when most of the pieces have been replaced and yet nothing has changed, it's time to start looking at the quarterback.

It is time to try something new. Maybe it will work or maybe it will fail, but at least the failures will be from someone new.

I think it's great you and others still have faith in Dak (I'm being serious), but for many fans, they are ready to move on with someone else.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think the NFL should test this by putting Mahomes in a Cowboys uniform for this season. Does anyone want to bet Dallas gets to at least an NFCCG with Mahomes behind center? It would be great to see the proof how mediocre #4 really is.
If only we could make that happen. Although to be fair here, I'm not sure even Mahomes can overcome the Jerry factor for 2024. We have no running game at all, and cannot stop the run.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, as a fan though, which is all we all are, I do have a right to share my opinion of how to improve things and when most of the pieces have been replaced and yet nothing has changed, it's time to start looking at the quarterback.

It is time to try something new. Maybe it will work or maybe it will fail, but at least the failures will be from someone new.

I think it's great you and others still have faith in Dak (I'm being serious), but for many fans, they are ready to move on with someone else.
What is ironic is even Dak's brother Tad wants Dak out of Dallas, so it's not just fans on this forum, their are other people also, like CeeDee's mom, etc.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I agree, and this goes deeper than just Dak. I'm open to moving on from Dak because it's completely different than what Jerry would ever do. I want to see something....anything that indicates this front office is willing to try something new and take a risk, instead of running it back being comfortable hanging around the rim year after year after year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
At some point, you need to try something new and since just about every other piece outside of Zack Martin has been replaced, it's time to replace the quarterback.
I'm sure many fans are OK with this but the concern is who are you replacing him with? Are you willing to risk Dak's floor of 12 wins for a rookie or mid-tier vet? It's not a reach to say losing Dak will set us back at least two years, maybe three. As for me, at this point, it doesn't matter either way and I was standing on the table for him before the GB lost. IMO you can make a legit argument both ways, to keep him or let him walk.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm sure many fans are OK with this but the concern is who are you replacing him with? Are you willing to risk Dak's floor of 12 wins for a rookie or mid-tier vet? It's not a reach to say losing Dak will set us back at least two years, maybe three. As for me, at this point, it doesn't matter either way and I was standing on the table for him before the GB lost. IMO you can make a legit argument both ways, to keep him or let him walk.
What it comes down to is like you said….you know with Dak you at least are a playoff team. I believe in going to the dance is in important. Now going and getting booted in the first round? No. I’d rather find something else. But I feel Dak is better than what he showed in GB last year. So that’s why I’d prefer to give this another shot but I did not know the shot was gonna come without improving.

bewp7

Reaction score
no crap bucky

it do not change the fact that qb have the most control over a game by a mile

Sydla

Reaction score
Can’t win in the playoffs with no defense and a 1 dimensional offense. Football 101. And not even Mahomes could’ve won that game as the QB. But go ahead, put all the blame on the QB. It’s telling for the rest of us.
Can't really win in the playoffs with a QB that sucks eggs for a half too. The fact you can't seem to admit that is what's telling. You continually prove my point. You spend you time trying to find every excuse possible for Dak.

I've said about a billion times we lost because the defense was bad, the coaching was subpar and yes, the QB wasn't all that good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let me be clear. There are a bunch of posters here who put ALL the blame on the QB of the Cowboys for not winning in the playoffs. And as a mod, you know this. If you want their names, let me know.
You include me in this group despite the fact I've said multiple times that the GB loss, for example, was the result of a lot of people not doing their job - that includes the QB.

So you don't have much credibility in this department.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's really what you got from that post?
It's his only move. In order to defend Dak, he just puts every person who points out that Dak failed the team into the same box - people who don't blame anyone else but Dak. Of course that would be disingenuous but Rockport doesn't have that many arrows in his quiver.

Sydla

Reaction score
The play design may be bad, but it’s Dak’s Responsibility to see that he’s about to throw the ball directly to the safety. If it’s not his job to avoid throwing the ball to the other team, then what’s even the point?
Exactly. Criticize play design or even play calling, I actually can get behind that.

Play being designed poorly to not get someone open is one thing, the QB still throwing knowing it's a high risk pass with a dude right there? That's still on the QB.

Sydla

Reaction score

And for some, it goes beyond just whether they think he's a good QB or not. We are talking about staring down the barrel of a MASSIVE future cap hit if they bring him back beyond this year and one can certainly make the case given how Dak is good but not elite, that maybe now is the time to chart a new course for the franchise.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But I feel Dak is better than what he showed in GB last year. So that’s why I’d prefer to give this another shot but I did not know the shot was gonna come without improving.
I agree......I can't get over how good he was playing at the end of last season ( MVP level ) and the fact it was his first year with MM as the OC. So before cutting the cord and starting over I'd like to give him one more shot, although Jerry didn't do him any favors sitting out free agency. His critics won't admit it but as of today, we are closer to a Super Bowl with Dak than w/o him. I mean you KNOW the playoff is his floor but have no idea what we are getting from his replacement.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree......I can't get over how good he was playing at the end of last season ( MVP level ) and the fact it was his first year with MM as the OC. So before cutting the cord and starting over I'd like to give him one more shot, although Jerry didn't do him any favors sitting out free agency. His critics won't admit it but as of today, we are closer to a Super Bowl with Dak than w/o him. I mean you KNOW the playoff is his floor but have no idea what we are getting from his replacement.
Sure, if the math is Cowboys with Dak or Cowboys with Rush or some dude off the street, yeah, one can make the argument that technically the Cowboys are closer to a SB with Dak than without him.

But that ignores an additional equation. With Dak, how close are they to a SB? And history has shown us, not all that close. I think because many have concluded that years of playoff failures from this franchise is enough evidence to just want change. I think most would readily admit that they know it could get worse with Dak not the QB but are willing to take the chance because they believe the mix we have now is just not going to get it done. I tend to fall into that group.

IMO, this was the time for a clean break. Dump McCarthy. Try to trade Dak. Bring in a young coach, grab some tradeable assets. Let the new young coach/OC work with Lance and then look to the draft as well and invest in the next guy.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Play being designed poorly to not get someone open is one thing, the QB still throwing knowing it's a high risk pass with a dude right there? That's still on the QB.
This is something that drives me crazy about him. He has the tendency to force plays sometimes because it was called from the sideline. Never mind knowing the play may or may not work. I remember Sean Peyton once admitted Drew Brees saved him from a lot of bad calls he made adjusting personnel or changing the play.