Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The play design may be bad, but it’s Dak’s Responsibility to see that he’s about to throw the ball directly to the safety. If it’s not his job to avoid throwing the ball to the other team, then what’s even the point?
You're right. I'm not taking part blame from Dak, but the "professional coaches" who get paid millions to design better plays should know better. Freaking high school mistakes!!! ****, pay me a few millions and I will tear it up for this offense.

GINeric

Reaction score
1. No one has stated that a QB regardless of caliber should single handedly carry a team.
2. Elite QB's do however step up in big moments and make the most of the opportunities they are given - that's what makes them ELITE

Ok cool. So according to what you're saying here, Jimmy Kelly and Marino shouldn't be considered better quarterbacks than Nick Foles and Trent Dilpher, correct?

Especially Jim Kelly. He had four chances to step up in the BIGGEST moment and failed at what took Nick Foles and Trent Dilpher only ONE chance to accomplish... a Superbowl victory.

Let's look at Marino. He made it to the show once.... but so did Colin Kaepernick and Jalen Hurts.

So maybe we need to revisit how we're grading quarterbacks because according to the benchmark placed on quarterbacks around here, I should never place a non Superbowl winning quarterback over quarterbacks who've won Superbowls, am I right?

Elite quarterbacks supposed to step up in the biggest moments and make the most of the moments that are given to them.... then why are there "elite" quarterbacks who have less Superbowl success than some non elite quarterbacks?

We can't keep moving goalposts....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL.

Still can't admit it, huh? It's hilarious how you constantly self own yourself in these threads.

Dak wasn't good. He was a major factor in the loss. It's really not all that hard to admit if you aren't such an unhinged homer.
You’re entitled to your opinion as am I.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
lol I wanted Reid when Philly fired him and this board hated him because we had the great J Garrett and Reid abandoned the run too often.
so did Garrett. I remember the game we had GB down and out in the 1st half,
Garrett abandoned the run in the 2nd half even though our run game was working better, and we lost. :angry:

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't know about Brooks's statement.
If anyone watched pre Terrell Davis Bronco football and their ability to reach the Superbowl, you would have a hard time convincing me that Elway did not do most of the heavy lifting in carrying that team to victory over the best the AFC had to offer at the time. 3 times even.

The problem was the NFC SB representative was just such a far superior team than Elway's.
The NFC was dominant during that era.

But yeah, Elway carried those Bronco teams. So I disagree with Brooks.

jmo

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You're right, but since Dak has lost in the post-season every time and never reached the NFCG, we know that Dak is not Mahomes so we should be trying to find someone who is better than what we have.
Hard to do that when the one you have is wanting 20-25% of your salary cap without leading the team anywhere near a Super Bowl.
Now, if Dak wants to play for $25 million, I am all for bringing him back and bringing in competition.

Once the quarterback tops 15% of the salary cap though, they better be reaching the Super Bowl and hopefully winning
Fair statement. When a QB takes that much of the Cap, it's real hard to provide the quality they need around the rest of the team. That's the bottom line. There's only so many pieces in a pie, if the QB overeats, the rest of the team goes hungry.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why don't you go follow Mahomes and the Chiefs since you love them so much????????? The truth of Mahomes dinking & dunking clearly bothers the ish out of you so much!!! Head on out! Vamonos! Get going!
your the one who brought mahomes into it.
I do follow other teams, but still follow the cowboys. I think maybe you have anger management issues ??

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You're right. I'm not taking part blame from Dak, but the "professional coaches" who get paid millions to design better plays should know better. Freaking high school mistakes!!! ****, pay me a few millions and I will tear it up for this offense.
So how come the 'play design' seemed to work in the regular season......or, for that matter, the second half of the GB game?

See a big part of the 'play design' is that teams can play to the Blueprint, knowing (predicting that Dak will struggle against it.....example 1. Pick6 vrs GB. Someone, on here, actually blamed the play action element, when the Defense thought nah we'll drop the LB back and play zone coverage.....allowing the Safety to come down, predicting that Dak will throw between the hashes.

Dak has his positives, but his playbook is extremely compromised when playing from behind.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So how come the 'play design' seemed to work in the regular season......or, for that matter, the second half of the GB game?

See a big part of the 'play design' is that teams can play to the Blueprint, knowing (predicting that Dak will struggle against it.....example 1. Pick6 vrs GB. Someone, on here, actually blamed the play action element, when the Defense thought nah we'll drop the LB back and play zone coverage.....allowing the Safety to come down, predicting that Dak will throw between the hashes.

Dak has his positives, but his playbook is extremely compromised when playing from behind.
Seriously? It's like having to coach you guys up after Kurt Warner already explained several things wrong about the design of that play and how it contributed to a pick-6. I'm not wasting my time on yall's stubborness. Watch the film and learn.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Seriously? It's like having to coach you guys up after Kurt Warner already explained several things wrong about the design of that play and how it contributed to a pick-6. I'm not wasting my time on yall's stubborness. Watch the film and learn.

But the defense plays the QB. The design isnt at fault, it's that the LB doesnt bite on the half -hearted 'look' of a play action, instead played the one GUARANTEE, which was that if it turned out to be a pass, it would go between the hashes and they could counter with a high Safety coming down.....WHICH IS DAK's BLINDSPOT.

It was 2nd and 2, the Defense had nothing to lose, they expected to concede the 1st down......give up the run, and played on the (admittedly low % chance) that Dak would throw. Rather than play percentage (WHICH DAK DOES WELL), Dak moves out of his comfort zone (which Dak does when he panics).

It's not about carrying the team, it's more about whether he can maintain composure when trailing.....or whether teams can play on that anxiety that appears to take over.