Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You include me in this group despite the fact I've said multiple times that the GB loss, for example, was the result of a lot of people not doing their job - that includes the QB.

So you don't have much credibility in this department.
And I’ve said multiple times Dak played bad in that game.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is something that drives me crazy about him. He has the tendency to force plays sometimes because it was called from the sideline. Never mind knowing the play may or may not work. I remember Sean Peyton once admitted Drew Brees saved him from a lot of bad calls he made adjusting personnel or changing the play.
Exactly.

I have no problem looking at a mistake Dak made and criticizing the play design or the call in that situation. But people then use that to absolve Dak of responsibility for the bad play. That's just BS. The QB still has to make a decision even on well designed plays. If the play design is poor and you drop back and there is a LB and S sandwiching your first option (this is just a hypothetical), don't throw it. It's that simple.

I mean let's extend the logic of this. So if the play design being bad absolves Dak of blame on a bad play, can we also use the converse? That if the play is well designed, can we credit the QB for making a great play?

Sydla

Reaction score
And I’ve said multiple times Dak played bad in that game.
And then spent every other waking second putting the blame for the loss on everyone else but him.

Like the defense, he was a major factor in the loss. If you can't say that, then you aren't a serious person.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But that ignores an additional equation. With Dak, how close are they to a SB? And history has shown us, not all that close. I think because many have concluded that years of playoff failures from this franchise is enough evidence to just want change. I think most would readily admit that they know it could get worse with Dak not the QB but are willing to take the chance because they believe the mix we have now is just not going to get it done. I tend to fall into that group.

IMO, this was the time for a clean break. Dump McCarthy. Try to trade Dak. Bring in a young coach, grab some tradeable assets. Let the new young coach/OC work with Lance and then look to the draft as well and invest in the next guy
I'm Ok with this but we forget Romo went through the same thing .........get to the playoffs and can't close the gap. This is why we have to start looking at the way Jerry and Stephen do business. By that, I mean their refusal to sign a few quality free agents who close the margin a bit once we get to the playoffs. Their philosophy is to draft and sign bottom-feeding free agents. I think that gap is what showing us in the postseason coz we don't have Mahomes, Brady or Rogers who can make us the difference. What makes this even more frustrating is we aren't expensive free agents, just more quality.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And then spent every other waking second putting the blame for the loss on everyone else but him.

Like the defense, he was a major factor in the loss. If you can't say that, then you aren't a serious person.
Mahomes wouldn’t have won that game.

Sydla

Reaction score
Uh huh……try winning one without a great QB…
It can be done but it's rare, extremely rare. And for it to work you need something else that is exceptional on your team or just a lot of good luck. Think Dilfer riding one of the game's greatest defenses to a SB or the Eagles in 2017 getting tons of breaks and Nick Foles playing like Tom Brady for 2-3 games but then being decidedly mediocre for much of his career.

People forget that the Eagles likely should not have gotten out of the wildcard round that year. They had a lot of good breaks in that Falcons game including late in the first half when Philly was trying to score before the half. Foles threw a horrendous pass that should have been picked and taken deep into Eagles territory but for some reason Keanu Neal literally "kneed" the ball from his hands and it ricocheted to Torrey Smith who then ran for like 10-15 yards setting Philly up for a long FG. That was at least a 6 point swing, if not a 10 point swing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No, as a fan though, which is all we all are, I do have a right to share my opinion of how to improve things and when most of the pieces have been replaced and yet nothing has changed, it's time to start looking at the quarterback.

It is time to try something new. Maybe it will work or maybe it will fail, but at least the failures will be from someone new.

I think it's great you and others still have faith in Dak (I'm being serious), but for many fans, they are ready to move on with someone else.
No, it is well over due to look at the GM and the failures will only continue.

Good GM's don't have so many holes that we can not even attempt to fix the top 2 - DT and RB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bull

Mahomes has a worse o-line and worse receivers.

Mahomes would not put the team under the 8 ball at the first of the game.

You are insane if you think Dak even compares to that guy.
Yeah it's almost impossible to say this.

Mahomes was far more likely to keep the Cowboys offense in the game while the D sucked. Dak was brutal in the first half and his two picks led to double digit points for the Packers. Mahomes likely doesn't make those dumb throws and likely makes more plays. With Mahomes, it's not hard to understand that the game could have been something like 17-10 or 21-13 or something like that by the end of the half.

Again up until that Dak interception for a TD, he was like 6-10 for 55 yards and a pick. He was a pretty big reason why the Packers built a 27 point lead by halftime.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It can be done but it's rare, extremely rare. And for it to work you need something else that is exceptional on your team or just a lot of good luck. Think Dilfer riding one of the game's greatest defenses to a SB or the Eagles in 2017 getting tons of breaks and Nick Foles playing like Tom Brady for 2-3 games but then being decidedly mediocre for much of his career.

People forget that the Eagles likely should not have gotten out of the wildcard round that year. They had a lot of good breaks in that Falcons game including late in the first half when Philly was trying to score before the half. Foles threw a horrendous pass that should have been picked and taken deep into Eagles territory but for some reason Keanu Neal literally "kneed" the ball from his hands and it ricocheted to Torrey Smith who then ran for like 10-15 yards setting Philly up for a long FG. That was at least a 6 point swing, if not a 10 point swing.

Somehow, our QBs can never seem to put two to three playoff games together like the outlier journeyman QBs that have won a title. A lot of the detractors refuse to admit that even these journeyman QBs had to be good for a few games in a row. Romo could never do it, and so far Dak cannot do that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yeah, Mahomes was so great, he dink and dunked his team to a SB win all game long! Yes, Mahomes is soooo Great and gets worshipped by Dak haters for dink-n-dunking his way to a close won championship game!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

lol then why doesnt dak dink and dunk ?????????????
maybe then he could win some SB's ,which you seem to think is so easy, just dink and dunk,
and SB win!!
Eagles and SF too ! just em them and tell them about the dink and dunk method for easy SB wins !

DandyDon52

Reaction score

luck is a factor in playoffs and SB's . But in this case Torrey was alert enough to catch the ball and advance it.
keanu was not alert enough to make the catch on a int.
So luck and being ready for luck can help or hurt a team.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's not that simple.

Have you heard Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady in a huddle or on the sidelines? An elite QB has more than just his play on the field. He can inspire his teammates to go beyond the level of play that was considered their maximum.

Players that witness greatness in a teammate want to be great as well. They don't want to be the one who held everyone else back, especially their elite QB. They play harder. The elite QB sets the standard for everyone else on the team. Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach was that way.

They aren't exactly carrying the team. However, that team has someone that can demonstrate how to respond in the critical moments of a game. The team would not come close to accomplishing what they did without him.

I heard players say this about many elite quarterbacks, including Roger Staubach. "We feel as though we are never out of a game with _______."

The teams that win in the playoffs are the best teams.. It never changes

Blatantly false. Otherwise, explain a 9-7 wildcard team like the Giants beating a 13-3 team like the Patriots in Super Bowl 46.

I have analyzed several years of NFL football and can tell you that the best team in the regular season wins only about 50% of the championships. They often fall victim to teams quarterbacked by guys like Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers, Roger Staubach and Patrick Mahomes.

GINeric

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with this, and it's exactly why I would be careful about paying top QB money.

And this is why we should be careful placing ALL blame on the quarterback for the losses and giving ALL credit to the quarterback for the wins.

It's only the dumb and ignorant people in the world who gives credit and blame to one person in a team sport.

GINeric

Reaction score
Dak fans seek to devalue the importance of the QB position to protect Dak.

Bucky and other Dak fans would be the first to say "Dak won the Super Bowl" if that day ever came (it won't).

There's a reason that 90% of Super Bowls have been won off the backs of great play at the QB position.

That isn't even about Dak solely. It has something to do with Dak because he plays quarterback, but so have a thousand other guys over the history of the league.

Can you explain why all elite quarterbacks don't automatically win a Superbowl??? Here's a hint for you nephew..... its a team game!! Elite quarterbacks greatly increase your chances to win, but it's not a guarantee.

There are plenty of good quarterbacks that have won a ring and there are many elite quarterbacks who have not.

You're so triggered by Dak that you made this about some wild idea that someone is trying to protect him. History has shown that this thread is real life facts. You're just angry that this thread severely trashes your weak *** narratives once again....

This **** is too easy.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
lol then why doesnt dak dink and dunk ?????????????
maybe then he could win some SB's ,which you seem to think is so easy, just dink and dunk,
and SB win!!
Eagles and SF too ! just em them and tell them about the dink and dunk method for easy SB wins !
Why don't you go follow Mahomes and the Chiefs since you love them so much????????? The truth of Mahomes dinking & dunking clearly bothers the ish out of you so much!!! Head on out! Vamonos! Get going!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Who CARES how he gets it done. He doesn't shrink and look like a scared little boy when the playoffs roll around. Your whole "he dink and dunked" his way to a ring argument to try and prop Dak's flop sweat playoff tape is pathetic.
Pathetic is you so called grown ups constantly ishing and whining like children while making up false lies to blast your own QB while kissing deep rump of another team's QB. I would be embarrassed to show myself on social media acting this way 24/7. Damn.